I have wondering how guitar virtuoso ,"Tommy Emmanuel",do the cascading harmonics on the song "somewhere over the rainbow". the only harmonics that i can do is the pinchy harmonics( ) and the natural harmonics. so please....help this noob
youtube?

EDIT: after watching a video myself, i have concluded they are actually just fancy touch harmonics. you play a barre chord and the natural harmonic for that chord moves with the fret. ie, a natural harmonic may be at the 12 fret but if you play a note at the 5th fret, that harmonic moves to the 17th fret (5+12=17). the cascading technique is a combination of touch harmonics, finger picking, and hammer on / pull offs.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Last edited by TK1 at Sep 18, 2009,
Look up a technique called harp harmonics. Basically, you lay your picking hand finger across the string twelve frets above your fretted noted, and pluck with your thumb.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by Krisim666
if i use a thumbpick, will the sound of the desired harmonic ring louder?

probably. theyre just like natural harmonics, only moved up. however, the hgiehr the harmonic is moved up, the smaller the acceptable space to hit the actual harmonic becomes (not by much tho)
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
He does it with harp harmonics like was previously said earlier, but no one explained what those were correctly. You play a natural harmonic (normally on the 12th fret) and then quickly pick a note (non-harmonic) one octave higher. The two notes blend into each other (with practice) and sound more substantial and full than regular harmonics, but still have that light feeling to them.

Here is a lesson about harmonics by him. The specific type of harmonics you are asking about are discussed a little over 1:10 into the video, but it wouldn't hurt to watch the rest of the video...because it is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxfgSDMDCg
That one is just a quick overview...here is another video that goes much more indepth, and will probably help more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obh1x2z6cOI&feature=related
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!