View poll results: Which Pickups
Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
30 77%
EMG Zakk WYlde Set
6 15%
Keep stock pickups
3 8%
Voters: 39.
I recently got a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Chrome (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/30777078_0964d58414.jpg) and was considering upgrading the pickups. Im either going to get the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo or the EMG Zakk Wylde set. I mainly play rock and metal, but also play alot of blues, jazz, and stuff on the clean channel. What would yall recemend? All help is apriciated.
Rock, metal, blues, jazz? If it's between those two then definitely the JB/Jazz combo.
get the jb/jazz inless ur drop tuned to like c or lower
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
get the jb/jazz inless ur drop tuned to like c or lower

I do sometimes, but only when im playing stuff like static-x or sabbath
out of curiosty, i heard the EMG sound like dump on cleans. True?
Quote by bmorse
I do sometimes, but only when im playing stuff like static-x or sabbath
out of curiosty, i heard the EMG sound like dump on cleans. True?

I think Id still get the JB/Jazz, Ive heard the JB/Jazz combo sound pretty amazing in lower standard tunings.

I have an 85 in the neck on my LTD, and its decent, not completely clean, though I hear the 60 has a better clean tone.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
I think Id still get the JB/Jazz, Ive heard the JB/Jazz combo sound pretty amazing in lower standard tunings.

I have an 85 in the neck on my LTD, and its decent, not completely clean, though I hear the 60 has a better clean tone.

The GC i live by only has the Zakk set, so a 60 is out of the question
Quote by bmorse
The GC i live by only has the Zakk set, so a 60 is out of the question

The 81/85 set is the only EMG selection they have? That sucks. You should try and order an 81 and 60 online... if you do go the EMG route, but I still think you should go the JB/Jazz route in an LP.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
active pickups arent as good at cleans, but tey arent bad. I ue 81/85 and love them
Quote by Mitochondria9
The 81/85 set is the only EMG selection they have? That sucks. You should try and order an 81 and 60 online... if you do go the EMG route, but I still think you should go the JB/Jazz route in an LP.

Yeah, theve dont even have the seprate 81 and 85, or even the HZ. Amp, effect and guitar wise there great, they just suck at everything else
Usually those Custom Shop Epis have good pups some even have Gibson pups. I can't really say if you should keep the stock ones or not because I don't know what it actually has for pups. I really do not care all that much for EMGs. I can't comment on the Duncans because I have never tried them. I really like Rockfield pups their Mafia and Fat Ass pups are amazing. I prefer the Fat Ass ones myself. They are priced well and IMO sound awesome.

http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/

John
Quote by johnro6659
Usually those Custom Shop Epis have good pups some even have Gibson pups. I can't really say if you should keep the stock ones or not because I don't know what it actually has for pups. I really do not care all that much for EMGs. I can't comment on the Duncans because I have never tried them. I really like Rockfield pups their Mafia and Fat Ass pups are amazing. I prefer the Fat Ass ones myself. They are priced well and IMO sound awesome.

http://www.rockfieldpickups.com/

John

Same pickups as a typical Epiphone Standard, just uncoverd. Ive heard nothing but good about Rockfeild, but the GC i live by doesnt cary them. Neither does the one 60 miles way. No im not kidding
If you are still playing through the marshall zakk wylde signature stack then I would probably say get a new amp before you get pickups otherwise if you still insist on new pickups then definitely go with the SD JB/Jazz
Quote by azn_guitarist25
If you are still playing through the marshall zakk wylde signature stack then I would probably say get a new amp before you get pickups otherwise if you still insist on new pickups then definitely go with the SD JB/Jazz

+1
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Switching out the pots would do alot of good for your guitar also.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
The problem with a major chain like GC is they only stock what thier buyers get and the buyers are swayed by these companies who give them perks so they will buy their stuff. Then they are told basically what to order like in the case of Gibson who says they have to order a certain $$ amount and what models they have to order.

I think you would have to order Rockfields online. I go to a lot of guitar shops and I have never seen a Rockfield pup in their stock. As far as the pots go check the numbers Gibsons now use pots made in China a few of my Epis have the same pots as Gibson according to the numbers. My Epi Custom shop V has both Gibson electronics and Gibson pups 496R/500T combo. I can't say 100% for sure they are stock because I buy most of my guitars are bought used but they do not look like they have been re-soldered.

Who are you having install your new pups? If you plan on letting GC do it make sure they have a competent luthier. Even though a pick up swap is easy I have seen some hack jobs come out of GCs repair dept.

As far as your amp goes I am not a fan of the Marshall MGs but if your going to keep it EMGs wouldn't be the best choice.

John
Who are you having install your new pups? If you plan on letting GC do it make sure they have a competent luthier. Even though a pick up swap is easy I have seen some hack jobs come out of GCs repair dept.

As far as your amp goes I am not a fan of the Marshall MGs but if your going to keep it EMGs wouldn't be the best choice.

John
The marshall is not an MG. Its a tube, before they became solid state MGs. I also sold my Ibanez IBZ 10G for a 20 watt Marshall Valvestate, and use that alot too. I will be having the swap done by a tech out of town, used him many times and very pleased.
I have never have come across ZW mini stack that was a tube amp all the ones I have seen were SS. Valvestates are decent amps. I had one here at home when I kept my Marshall JVM full stack at the studio so I had something to play.

God, I hate to admit this but at one time I started collecting those Marshall mini stacks I had them in every color and I got some so I could mix and match. I had one wall covered in mini stacks! LOL I was getting them used for between $50 and $100 for the full stack and separately for as low as $20.00 a peice.

Good to see you have a luthier you trust. GC techs are hit or miss. The guy who works in the Boston, Ma store is excellent but some of the other stores around do not have good techs.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Sep 19, 2009,
What don't you like about your current tone that you think replacement pickups will improve and what sound do you want from your pickups? It's only worth us pointing you in the right direction if we know what tone you're after, how you go about getting it and everything in between. If you describe to us, for example, the way you want your pickup to be balanced EQ wise, we'll have a much clearer picture of what you're after and we'll be able to help you a lot more.

If you can't describe what's wrong with your tone and how you want pickups to improve it in words, it isn't time for replacement pickups yet. The fact that your initial shortlist consisted of two sets as radically different as the JB/Jazz and the EMG Zakks suggests to me that you don't know exactly what tone you're after, and if so you ought to take some time to articulate what your ideal pickup would sound like, and then look for it, rather than the other way around.
Definitely the JB/Jazz
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by Rock Pig
What don't you like about your current tone that you think replacement pickups will improve and what sound do you want from your pickups? It's only worth us pointing you in the right direction if we know what tone you're after, how you go about getting it and everything in between. If you describe to us, for example, the way you want your pickup to be balanced EQ wise, we'll have a much clearer picture of what you're after and we'll be able to help you a lot more.

If you can't describe what's wrong with your tone and how you want pickups to improve it in words, it isn't time for replacement pickups yet. The fact that your initial shortlist consisted of two sets as radically different as the JB/Jazz and the EMG Zakks suggests to me that you don't know exactly what tone you're after, and if so you ought to take some time to articulate what your ideal pickup would sound like, and then look for it, rather than the other way around.

What i dont like about the stock pickups is that there too thin, and lack the sustain I would like. The tone Im after is more verstability, meaning that I would like to be able to do everything from Slayer to Les Paul. The stock pickups are okay, but, as i stated there too thin sounding, like they sterlile. After some reascherch and recemendations, theses are the two pickup sets I ended uo with. If theres some other pickup that would be ideal, please do tell.
Quote by bmorse
What i dont like about the stock pickups is that there too thin, and lack the sustain I would like. The tone Im after is more verstability, meaning that I would like to be able to do everything from Slayer to Les Paul. The stock pickups are okay, but, as i stated there too thin sounding, like they sterlile. After some reascherch and recemendations, theses are the two pickup sets I ended uo with. If theres some other pickup that would be ideal, please do tell.

Well if you're after versatility then I'd suggest, firstly, that you avoid the EMGs. They haven't got a fantastic clean tone by any means, nor do they excel at vintage crunch. If you're after versatility I'd suggest an overwound-vintage style pickup, which works well for most things. In another guitar the JB wouldn't be a bad idea but its midrange doesn't work very well in mahogany guitars like your Epi. The Duncan Custom Custom is a nice sounding pickup, and I would recommend it here were it not for the fact that it doesn't retain its clarity under too much gain. The Custom 5 is slightly harder edged but it offers more clarity and that's what I'd use in the bridge position if I were you. As for a neck pickup, the DiMarzio PAF Pro is often cited as the definitive jack of all trades neck pickup but that won't work fantastically as it doesn't balance very well with the Custom 5. A better option might be the PAF Joe, which is slightly more vintage sounding but still sounds very nice under heavy gain. It doesn't retain as much clarity as the Pro but, unless you intend to use your neck pickup for all out chugging, that shouldn't be a major issue. Your guitar being Gibson style, I'd be hesitant to believe that the thinness in your tone is the fault of the guitar itself so it might be worth checking the rest of your rig. In any case though, the Custom 5 and PAF Joe should sound nice and full in your guitar. Your sterile tone I would again hesitate to blame your guitar for as its stock pickups are probably PAF style, so check over your rig. Again though, the two pickups I recommended should sound reasonably organic thanks to their hot-PAF tones.

Tl;dr: Duncan Custom 5 bridge/DiMarzio PAF Joe neck should work pretty damn well for most things. Check that your problem in tone isn't due to the rest of your rig though!
81/60 or Dimarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro

The duncans suck at high gain.

edit: what the guy above me said.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by stratman7
Rock, metal, blues, jazz?

Yeah it lookes like we got a new randy rhoads on board. Go JB/Jazz.
Stay away from the Dimebucker.It suckes. Just like Randall amps. And Dimebag himself. Dean guitars rock, though.
Wes Borland rules!