Poll: Which guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar?
Yamaha Pacifica
38 81%
Squier Stratocaster
9 19%
Voters: 47.
I play bass and want to learn guitar. Right now I can't decide between these two. I play all genres of rock. Which would you recommend?
A Pacifica was my first guitar, and i never looked back for the price!!!
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
The Pacifica is a well-made instrument. Some Squiers may be as good but not many. A tougher comparison would be the Yamaha against a Cort G series, which has better pups and better upper fret access.
Are you sure you want a Strat-o-like? I'm not a fan of the classic trem. Neither fish nor fowl, if you know what I mean. For a first guitar into guitar, I'd usually suggest a fixed bridge.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

My cousins both have pacificas and they are fantastic for their price. I also got a chance to play one in a music shop that was the one up I think. Had a coil tap on it. That was also very nice.

My school has squiers and they are not that great. They do the job, but the Pacifica is far better.

Quote by shredder408
get a plank of wood. Your better off with one than a stratocaster.

You sir, are an idiot.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Pacifica definitely. I'm currently deciding between a Pacifica and an Ibanez which is about £150 more expensive.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
I do not care for either brand but if I had to make a choice I would go with the Pacifica.

I agree with the statement a plank of wood is better than a Squier Strat I haven't found one yet that was nice to play or even sounded good. I went thru every single Squier guitar Daddy's one Saturday. I took every Squier they had on the wall around 30 of them and couldn't find one that would even stay in tune, not one! At this point I just ignore them all together I am actually surprised I bought my Showmaster a few weeks ago. It's the first Squier I ever put my hands on that didn't suck.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I do not care for either brand but if I had to make a choice I would go with the Pacifica.

I agree with the statement a plank of wood is better than a Squier Strat I haven't found one yet that was nice to play or even sounded good. I went thru every single Squier guitar Daddy's one Saturday. I took every Squier they had on the wall around 30 of them and couldn't find one that would even stay in tune, not one! At this point I just ignore them all together I am actually surprised I bought my Showmaster a few weeks ago. It's the first Squier I ever put my hands on that didn't suck.

John

you sir are a genuis. Ive tried pacificas and squires, but i just hate stratocasters all round... the best one ive ever tried was some no-name brand guitar that had a ibanez neck bolted onto it LOL so it kinda didn't count...
I really like the style of the Squier Jamaster and want one or a Fender Jag Baritone. That's why I started out checking out the Squiers that day. I would rather get the less expensive of the two the Jagmaster but I can not find one I would consider. I can't even get one used I wouldn't mind upgrading. The Baritone IMO is the best Fender guitar I ever touched. It's just amazing but at almost $900.00 I just can't bring myself to pay that. I have also tried some off brand Strat style guitars here and there that I thought were better myself but not being a Strat fan I never consider them.

The Yamaha guitars I have tried do seem to be better built with better pups than Squiers.

jestsumgy

I think you should go out and try a lot of brands before you make a decision. I love trying guitars it's like a game for me and I find a lot of gems out there that are not considered when people go looking. I myself prefer Epis for a starter guitar you get a mid range Epi and you can use it for a very long time and when you upgrade it can be your main guitar always.

John
STOP PUTTING SOWN SQUIER STRATS! Yeah the affinity and bullets are sh*t but c'mon from standard up they are way better. Our school has Yamaha pacificas and they are horrific! They are the crap ones. They are just so tacky and have no tone... Stupid metal heads...
This is a biased opinion, but my Pacifica feels better and plays better than most of the MIM fender strats I've tried
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
pacifica was my first as well, great guitar

my next project is to restore it and give her some new hardware
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been