So basically, I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting out of my Mesa F-100. The clean channel is fine but on the lead channel with the volume up a bit, it starts to sound very harsh and noisy. Ironicly, I like the tone better at lower volumes. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Anyway, is there any way you guys can think of to tighten up my sound and get a more smooth liquid sort of distortion? EQ..... pedals.... ect?
I hate my sig
Sometimes its necessary to EQ and amp differently as the volume goes up, and the speakers are reacting differently. Also it totally depends on the room your in. My amp sounds absolutley awful in my room when it's turned up, but it's a total monster on stage.

To tighten up the sound, lots of people, soon me as well, use an OD pedal to tighten it up. I believe you just take the gain down very low, and turn the level up, and that should work.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Sometimes its necessary to EQ and amp differently as the volume goes up, and the speakers are reacting differently. Also it totally depends on the room your in. My amp sounds absolutley awful in my room when it's turned up, but it's a total monster on stage.

To tighten up the sound, lots of people, soon me as well, use an OD pedal to tighten it up. I believe you just take the gain down very low, and turn the level up, and that should work.

Yeah I was thinking either an OD pedal or just adjusting the EQ...

I've tried it in my room (sounds terrible and shrill and echoes like crazy) and my band practice room (a slight improvement but not as much as I'd expected)
I hate my sig
Different frequencies are more prominent at different volumes. Therefore as your volume changes you're tone is going to change as well.

Like dcdossett65 said you may need to re-eq when you turn your amp up.
as the master volume goes up, try less gain, I'm going to guess its a tube amp... I'm not familiar with mesas really, but as long as its tube usualy if the masters higher you can turn the gain down a bit and get the same distortion as at a lower volume, just clearer and more articulate, also if your putting the volume all the way up, you might be pushing the amp past its prime volume, I know my ac30 starts to get very trashy if you push it past about 8 or so, it has no master volume though, but if you push it past 8 it gets very sharp and trashy, so try not turning it up quite as much, but still enough to keep it damn loud
Quote by eberg2
as the master volume goes up, try less gain, I'm going to guess its a tube amp... I'm not familiar with mesas really, but as long as its tube usualy if the masters higher you can turn the gain down a bit and get the same distortion as at a lower volume, just clearer and more articulate, also if your putting the volume all the way up, you might be pushing the amp past its prime volume, I know my ac30 starts to get very trashy if you push it past about 8 or so, it has no master volume though, but if you push it past 8 it gets very sharp and trashy, so try not turning it up quite as much, but still enough to keep it damn loud

Yeah Mesa only makes tube amps (i think)

And I'm only putting it at around 5 and it's blistering loud. But I'll try to turn the gain down and re-eq it
I hate my sig
The F series amps tend to get harsh if you have the gain up and the MV up at the same time.

Try turning the MV up and the gain down. You would be surprised how much the volume makes a difference.

Also, having the gain down, the volume up and throwing a clean boost or even an OD will make it superbly better. Did this with my old room mates F-30....superb and br00taly heavy tone.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Yeah Mesa only makes tube amps (i think)

And I'm only putting it at around 5 and it's blistering loud. But I'll try to turn the gain down and re-eq it

I'm going to guess its 100 watts because its an F-100 and yes, 100 tube watts is blisteringly loud