for a good long time now i have been in the market for an amp that can bridge the gap between my AC30 and a marshall plexi. i have heard nothing but good things about the Mesa Boogie Lonestar, and at my local music store there is a huge sale, and the lonestar 100 watt combo that is regular priced at a ridiculous $2540, is now being sold for $1599. i am HIGHLY interested in that price and that amp. my concern however is that i am in absolutely no way a metal guitarist. i play blues, country, and hard rock. i know that mesa boogie has a big reputation among the metal crowd, but this amp is quite obviously... different. my question to any owners of this amp are, how well is this amp able to achieve
a) ac30 cleans
b) plexi crunch
c) anything in between that.

i like the idea of having all that extra gain in case i ever need it for any reason, but i really am not looking for an amp with Dual Recto style distortion. so how well suited is this amp for low - moderate gain ventures. i know its capable of high gain, but im not interested in the high gain aspect of this amp, i like the fact that it's there just in case, but i wont be using it.
It's not good at either of those sounds. The Special is much better for those. The Classic is very American voiced. The Special is as well but it can get a more chimey Vox type clean. Neither one is particularly good at high gain, although they can both do it in a pinch. I prefer the gain lower, usually about half up at most. I'd probably go with the new Electra Dyne.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
It's not good at either of those sounds. The Special is much better for those. The Classic is very American voiced. The Special is as well but it can get a more chimey Vox type clean. Neither one is particularly good at high gain, although they can both do it in a pinch. I prefer the gain lower, usually about half up at most. I'd probably go with the new Electra Dyne.

american voicing is fine to. ive got a deluxe reverb and an ac30 so i enjoy the tonalities of both. im just trying to assure that this amp is in fact going to perform as it promises... i.e a lower gain, more classically "blues" voiced
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
american voicing is fine to. ive got a deluxe reverb and an ac30 so i enjoy the tonalities of both. im just trying to assure that this amp is in fact going to perform as it promises... i.e a lower gain, more classically "blues" voiced

Yes, it is a fantastic blues amp. With a Strat type guitar it's just incredible. It sounds great with humbuckers as well, but it really shines with SCs. The only thing I could complain about is that it has too much low end. It can all be dialed out though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs