Page 1 of 2
Im contemplating my first tube amp purchase, but im hesatant to get a Blackstar HT-5 because 5 watts really is only 5 watts.

I know its possible to put lower wattage tubes in an amp, but is it at all possible to upgrade the wattage, even to say 10 or 15 watts?

Sorry if its a stupid question, but im a nube at these things

Thanks for the help!!!

PS: My other choice would be a VOX classic plus ac50ch or ac100ch, depending on what i can get my hands on. Preferably an ac50ch.
Its not the tubes, its the circuitry.

And a 5 watt tube amp is still freakin loud. You just won't have much clean headroom.
5 watts of tube is louder than you think. Tubes are generally louder fyi.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
i still dont think its that loud
and its only one tube
its still only loud enough for practice
but it has some seriously sweet tones
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
if you find the ht-5 tone the end all of amp tones then you can slave a power amp to it but otherwise i'd just go with an amp head with a bigger power amp section
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by glam rocker
i still dont think its that loud
and its only one tube
its still only loud enough for practice
but it has some seriously sweet tones

However it can either be mic'd for shows or you could take advantage of the line out and run it to a mixer.
I know 5 watts of tubes is not comparible at all to 5 watts of SS.

Yes it is loud, but its the cleans that I want. And with little headroom on the cleans for this amp, 5 watts isnt very loud. Ive heard on some of the reviews that at about noon on the clean volume you start to hear some breakup or distortion.

I could run it through a bigger amp, and thats what I planned on doing. Does it matter too much what kind of amp I get? Cause I could get like a Line 6 Spider III 150 for real cheap to use for my electric drums/Variax/to make the blackstar louder. They only cost about $300 now. OR, I could go with a Line 6 Spider Valve for $400 used ebay or $450 new amazon. But thats alot of money.... I guess I would get good use of it though.

Thats what I was worried about, The circuitry. Oh well..

So.. If I went with the HT-5, I could get a Line 6 Spider III combo and use it for both loud stuff and for the speakers. I may have to do some gutting and whatnot, but ill figure it out. OR .... I could get a Spider Valve head and an enclosure and some speakers...

(Im so gonna get killed for speaking of line 6 lol)

Thanks for the help so far guys. I think im leaning toward HT-5 + Spider Valve + 2x12 Cabinet (4x12 is quite overkill, dontcha think?)

PS: You mentioned just a plain power amp, does such a thing exist so I dont have to pay $350 or $450 for a line 6 spider valve?
Last edited by andy2108 at Sep 19, 2009,
If you want to "upgrade" the wattage on the amp, you need to think about reamping. That basically involves putting a load box or attenuator (set to load) with a line out from your head to a seperate power amp or very clean amp (crate powerblock) and then using that to drive the speakers. It will enable you to get more wattage with the same tone/headroom in your case.

HT-5-speakerout->Hotplate (set to load)-lineout->Powerblock->Cab.
Someone posted a while ago a link to some speakers that have power amps built into them, and you can run your pre-amp into them. This would most certainly make it louder, but you'd lose the power tube saturation, which is pretty much everything.

Yes, dedicated power amps exist. I have one in my room (500W FOR THE WIN).

Anyway; if you got the money, get this:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=blackstar%20series%20one%2045&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
You could run the preamp out into a larger stand alone power amp. If you dont plan to use the 5w section at all. Might want to think of getting one of the blackstar tube pedals then, vs the expense of cabinet and unused power amp section.

The epi vjr is modded by some to be higher wattage. But its not exactly a cheap option. As you would certainly need a new OT for the higher wattage probably a PT to power the extra tubes and heaters.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Sep 19, 2009,
Tubes tend to run a little louder Bro, it will be loud enough, unless you plan on some major gigging.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
OK, thinking about getting a louder amp now.

How does the VOX Classic Plus AC50CH or AC100CH compare to a Blackstar HT-5?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
If you want to "upgrade" the wattage on the amp, you need to think about reamping. That basically involves putting a load box or attenuator (set to load) with a line out from your head to a seperate power amp or very clean amp (crate powerblock) and then using that to drive the speakers. It will enable you to get more wattage with the same tone/headroom in your case.

HT-5-speakerout->Hotplate (set to load)-lineout->Powerblock->Cab.

The Ht-5 has a loop no? So you'd just go fx send-> power amp ->cab
Why not just hook up a 4x12 to it? Thatd be more than enough juice for gigs with a drummer. Tbh Im using the HT5 combo and its just loud enough to be heard over a drummer, so it aint quiet. Id certainly get a 4x12 or even 2x12 if I was going gigging though.
Quote by Supernaught
Why not just hook up a 4x12 to it? Thatd be more than enough juice for gigs with a drummer. Tbh Im using the HT5 combo and its just loud enough to be heard over a drummer, so it aint quiet. Id certainly get a 4x12 or even 2x12 if I was going gigging though.

Sorry for the nubish logic... but...

wouldnt 5 watts through a 412 sound just as loud as 5 watts through a 212? I mean, its just 1.25/1.25/1.25/1.25 vs. 2.5/2.5 right?
Quote by andy2108
Sorry for the nubish logic... but...

wouldnt 5 watts through a 412 sound just as loud as 5 watts through a 212? I mean, its just 1.25/1.25/1.25/1.25 vs. 2.5/2.5 right?

There are some very slight differences, which no doubt some pedantic people will come along and bore you senseless with, but in practical terms you're completely right.

There is one thing that has an effect: 'speaker sensitivity'. This basically means the speaker is more efficient, and thus louder. Will only get you an extra few dB though, not enough to turn a small practice amp into a club-filling monster.

Other option is to buy the HT-5 and a dynamic mic, then run your guitar into the PA system.
Most bigger venues will mic everything through the front-of-house system anyway, and even in small pubs and clubs it's not much hassle provided you have a decent PA with monitors.
Quote by kyle62
There are some very slight differences, which no doubt some pedantic people will come along and bore you senseless with, but in practical terms you're completely right.

There is one thing that has an effect: 'speaker sensitivity'. This basically means the speaker is more efficient, and thus louder. Will only get you an extra few dB though, not enough to turn a small practice amp into a club-filling monster.

Other option is to buy the HT-5 and a dynamic mic, then run your guitar into the PA system.
Most bigger venues will mic everything through the front-of-house system anyway, and even in small pubs and clubs it's not much hassle provided you have a decent PA with
monitors.

Yeah, I understand sensitivity. I wouldnt buy any el cheapo speakers. Someting with a high sensitivity.

Thanks for helping me understand that.

I think Ill go with a 212 just because a 412 would be that much more expencive and bigger and harder to move around.

SO... I guess im back to a AC50 and a 212 cab?

Theres this one company out of california that makes REALLY nice cabs... their 212 is loaded but its not too expensive anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/212-GUITAR-SPEAKER-CABINET-Watts/dp/B00275RE2I/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1253418958&sr=1-26

Cant go wrong with Celstion Vintage 30's

http://www.amazon.com/Celestion-Vintage-Classic-Guitar-Speaker/dp/B000RYS1VO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1253419064&sr=1-3

and then the actuall amp... My thinking on the amp, its impossible to find a AC50 thats anywhere near what their worth... so the AC100s are a better deal and I can buy them new. If it turns out to be too loud, all I have to do is downgrade the tubes to 50 or maybe even 25 watts to get good breakup later.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC100CPH/

EDIT: Total is $907.95 w/ free shipping
Last edited by andy2108 at Sep 20, 2009,
HT-Dual into a power amp...

The HT-5 preamp section is, basically, an exact copy of what they (Blackstar) use in their HT-Dual pedal.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I don't understand why you don't just buy a better, louder amp instead of wasting all this money. Don't believe all the hype on this forum, yes it's a good practice amp, but it is not the holy grail of amps like some make it out to be.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realise you were back to the AC50. I would get the AC30 as with 50 watts you might have too much headroom and since you seem to be focusing on cleans, the AC30 has better cleans.
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 20, 2009,
The problem with the AC30 is the price tag. I just cant get over a $900 AC30 head versus a $900 AC50/AC100 (with smaller aftermaket tubes) + very nice high quality 212 cab + 2 Celestion vintage 30 speakers.

I noticed that the AC50 is sold with 2 EL34B power tubes and the AC100 is sold with 4 EL34B tubes... Could I just take out all but one tube from a AC100 to get a lower wattage rating, like 25, or is it not that simple?

Basically what Im trying to learn about how to do is lower a AC100's wattage down to 50 or even 25.... if its at all possible...
Would a cranked HT-5 with no mic, cab etc be heard over drums?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Would a cranked HT-5 with no mic, cab etc be heard over drums?

Probably, unless you have a very loud drummer.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
50W i would say is overkill. 30W these days tends to be sufficient formost shows, especially as at bigger venues they mic you up anyways
Quote by andy2108
The problem with the AC30 is the price tag. I just cant get over a $900 AC30 head versus a $900 AC50/AC100 (with smaller aftermaket tubes) + very nice high quality 212 cab + 2 Celestion vintage 30 speakers.

I noticed that the AC50 is sold with 2 EL34B power tubes and the AC100 is sold with 4 EL34B tubes... Could I just take out all but one tube from a AC100 to get a lower wattage rating, like 25, or is it not that simple?

Basically what Im trying to learn about how to do is lower a AC100's wattage down to 50 or even 25.... if its at all possible...
I wouldn't use a V30 with a Vox if I were you.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I wouldn't use a V30 with a Vox if I were you.

What kind of speakers do you reccomend then? I want a kind of speakers with plenty of bass
Quote by andy2108
What kind of speakers do you reccomend then? I want a kind of speakers with plenty of bass
Well normally with a Vox i would reccomend alnico speakers but I don't think that they're what you want. What kind of music do you play?
I play pretty much alot of kinds of music >.>

Mostly classic rock stuff....

Usually I end up as the rythm guitarist, running cleans. The sound I look for in that situation is very thick and bassy.

*I gess >.>*
Quote by andy2108
I play pretty much alot of kinds of music >.>

Mostly classic rock stuff....

Usually I end up as the rythm guitarist, running cleans. The sound I look for in that situation is very thick and bassy.

*I gess >.>*
Hmmm well I know AC30s are more trebly and jangly, not sure about the AC50. I guess you'll just have to wait for someone else to contribute.

Sorry
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Hmmm well I know AC30s are more trebly and jangly, not sure about the AC50. I guess you'll just have to wait for someone else to contribute.

Sorry

Oh, I thought we were talking about speakers?

Because you said that you wouldnt use a V30.... aka Celestion Vintage 30....

I like the AC100, and I think Ill keep with it. Its just the speakers Im doubting. Two 60 watt speakers driven by a 100 watt amp... sounds like their going to be pushed pretty hard. I dont reallly want to move up to a 412 just because of the huge size of the thing. I litterally woundnt be able to put it in my car. I may get a second 212 down the road, however and just run 2x 212 cabs.

Any body have recommendations on speakers for me?
Quote by andy2108
Im contemplating my first tube amp purchase, but im hesatant to get a Blackstar HT-5 because 5 watts really is only 5 watts.

I know its possible to put lower wattage tubes in an amp, but is it at all possible to upgrade the wattage, even to say 10 or 15 watts?

Sorry if its a stupid question, but im a nube at these things

Thanks for the help!!!

PS: My other choice would be a VOX classic plus ac50ch or ac100ch, depending on what i can get my hands on. Preferably an ac50ch.

the HT5 is tube, so itll sound to be about 30 watts at max volume
Quote by ipunchcouches
the HT5 is tube, so itll sound to be about 30 watts at max volume

You mean it's as loud as a 30w solid state?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by andy2108

I like the AC100, and I think Ill keep with it. Its just the speakers Im doubting. Two 60 watt speakers driven by a 100 watt amp... sounds like their going to be pushed pretty hard. I dont reallly want to move up to a 412 just because of the huge size of the thing. I litterally woundnt be able to put it in my car. I may get a second 212 down the road, however and just run 2x 212 cabs.

We were but I'm just saying, a speaker doesn't magically transform a trebly amp (assuming the AC100 is like the AC30) into a thick bassy one.
The Blackstar, to me, didn't have huge amounts of bass or punch, possibly because of the low wattage, possibly because of the construction, components/general makeup, but I reckon it's because it uses speakers that don't have punch to them. The mini-stack and the combo only come in 1x10 Celestion speakers, but if you buy the head on it's own with a cheap 4x12 cabinet from ebay and stick a set of G12 speakers in it, I'd say that will give you immense amounts of grunt and force.

I've only briefly read the thread's posts so forgive me if I'm mentioning something that has already been suggested.

edit: after seeing that you want clean headroom, I'd suggest a different amp. Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV40, Vox AC30, etc.
Quote by andy2108

I'd go for the AC50 with a 25W Greenback, and a G12H30.
get 2 mesa boogie 4x12's? =D
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
Quote by GesadiaH
get 2 mesa boogie 4x12's? =D

LOL! Ill PM you my shipping info so when you pay for them you know where to ship them

Well... Ive ordered the AC100CPH

Off sweetwater, apparently I ordered the last one seeing as its now unavailable

and A Randall 212 120watt cab with two celestion vintage 30 speakers. Main reason I choose this one over its competitors was the fact that its made of 3/4" Candadian birch plywood.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R212CB/

The cab has to be ordered from the factory, so it may take like 3 weeks to get here

Hopefully it will come quick enough to get here in time for my performance on the 17th LOL.

Now Im lookin at PA's... 3000 watts
Page 1 of 2