Yo, I'm a bit curious on how the Line-Out works exactly. Some shows at I play at larger venues use the Line-Out on the back of my BX-1200 to hook up to the speakers and shiz. But I'm running Dual Mono or whatever so I have a 15" and 2x10s running different frequencies and crap. So when you run the lineout, first of all I'll get a different sound since it's out of completely different speakers. But does the Crossover also apply to the linout or how does that work exactly? Thanks.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Line out means the sound bypasses the speakers and you get a straight input. the reason why bass is a slow moving sound, so putting a microphone to the speakers means u will lose some thickness of the sound
I guess that makes sense. How would I be able to optimize my sound though since they will always use a line out for shows and stuff?

Should I just adjust the sound with my 1x15 or my 2x10 alone then just adjust to those settings when I do shows?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
17. DIRECT OUT PRE/POST SWITCH AND GROUND LIFT SWITCH
The direct out PRE/POST switch allows the choice of either a simple buffered signal straight from the input jack (PRE mode) or a processed signal including the Drive, Compressor, Tone, Graphic EQ, and EffectLoop processing (POST mode). If a hum occurs when connecting the XLR to a mixer, try using the GNDLIFT switch. The GND LIFT switch lifts the ground pin 1 of the XLR to 100 ohms above chassis ground.

Source: Carvin Engineering Dat BX1200 Operating Manual

Basically, which signal the PA gets is dependent on which mode your Pre/Post switch is set at. Not sure what "crossover" you are asking about, generally that refers to a band pass filter built into some speaker cabs {see edit}.

Edit: OK, figured out the "X-Over" on your amp, and no it does not apply in any way to the direct out. Looks like they put an variable crossover right on the amp outputs rather than relying that the speakers have their own.
Last edited by Quintex at Sep 19, 2009,
^ They did

If you really want a stereo setup you can get a signal crossover, and put that between your head and the board...so line out->crossover->2 lines to PA

Yuo shouldn't need to do that though....mono is fine.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Phry
Yo, I'm a bit curious on how the Line-Out works exactly. Some shows at I play at larger venues use the Line-Out on the back of my BX-1200 to hook up to the speakers and shiz. But I'm running Dual Mono or whatever so I have a 15" and 2x10s running different frequencies and crap. So when you run the lineout, first of all I'll get a different sound since it's out of completely different speakers. But does the Crossover also apply to the linout or how does that work exactly? Thanks.
You will get a different sound if that's what the engineer sets it at; it's up to you to discuss with the engineer what you require. Also it is good to remember that PA systems vary a great deal; that is why I prefer them to augment my own 'up to the job' backline. DI outputs are generaly full range and often pre or post EQ.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
So no matter what I do I can't really ever get the same sound anyways huh? It's just that when I have my setup as it is now, it sounds good but once I turned off the X-Over, it sounds pretty weird. So I'm afraid that it'll happen like that when I play a gig.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by John Swift
You will get a different sound if that's what the engineer sets it at; it's up to you to discuss with the engineer what you require.

This is great advice, if you get the time play the engineer the sound you want and they will get as close as they can and give you technical advice on how to achieve what you want as well.

You could ignore the line out and buy a couple of DI boxes to go between the individual speakers and amp or mic up both your speakers
Quote by Phil Starr
This is great advice, if you get the time play the engineer the sound you want and they will get as close as they can and give you technical advice on how to achieve what you want as well.

I wish it was like that around here... Here they put the first band on stage, set the eq to something passable, and then don't touch it again for the rest of the night. There's maybe 2 venues with soundmen that really work with you on tone, and even they aren't properly trained.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I wish it was like that around here... Here they put the first band on stage, set the eq to something passable, and then don't touch it again for the rest of the night. There's maybe 2 venues with soundmen that really work with you on tone, and even they aren't properly trained.

Hence why we tend to bring a long someone who knows our sound to do it. Did that with my last band too.

It's always a good idea to get some knowledge about how PA/mixing desks/FOH/whatever you want to call it works, with the technical lingo- both for recording and live situations, so you can better get across what you want whoever to do.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Hence why we tend to bring a long someone who knows our sound to do it. Did that with my last band too.

It's always a good idea to get some knowledge about how PA/mixing desks/FOH/whatever you want to call it works, with the technical lingo- both for recording and live situations, so you can better get across what you want whoever to do.

I can run a mixer just fine, but they won't let me touch the board. I guess they think anyone under the age of 25 is going to magically sprout a can of mountain dew and pour it on the equipment.

Again, I agree with Phil...two speaker-level rated DI boxes would work well. I've used these and they're great: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-ARTcessories-Zdirect-Professional-Passive-Direct-Box?sku=180635
Nope, no sig here.