Page 1 of 4
This has probably been done before but I can't sleep and I'm listening to Megadeth's new album.

Megadeth always uses standard tuning (except youthanasia) I think and yet they remain heavy as hell. A lot of bands these days tune down real low just to be heavy. Like Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray) said he dosen't like tuning down because if he wants to sound darker, he does it by his playing. Probably by using Phrygian modes and tritones........

So just wondering what you guys and girls thoughts are on guitar tunings. Which ones do you like to use and why?
I like to use standard tuning because with my floyd rose I can't tune down :P
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I was thinking almost this exact same thing earlier when was walking my dog.
I only used standard at the moment because I hate tuning down because of the flop all of my guitars get, even with 13s for some reason.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
i tune down for my vocal range, plus i like the deeper sound even on my acoustic
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
drop c tuning for me. i write a lot of piano stuff and you can play a whole c major scale on the white keys ^_^

im lazy *shrugs*
i play in c standard and drop c. i just like the sound of it as apposed to standard

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I have guitars in E, Eb, and D standard. I don´t use any other tunings other than the occassional drop D which I just tune my E standard guitars down for.
it depends of how you play each tuning but ill give you a run down of them all

E (standard) and half step down are good for quick thrashy styles.

Drop D is a very versitile tuning, with a good alround sound. Can be anywhere from melodic to thrashy. My personal favourite (trivium, some lamb of god, three days grace)

D is good for a standard tuning or half step down style, but with a heavier sound (pantera)

Drop C, Drop C# and C are good for quick metalcore styles and hardcore styles. Generaly played in a quick and heavy but still fairly melodic style ( bullet for my valentine, all that remains, disturbed)

Drop B (technically C#, but commnoly known as Drop B)is a very agressive sound and deep for breakdowns. Played quite quick and agressively (slipknot, parkway drive, august burns red, bring me the horizon)

Drop A, Drop A#, A#, A and G# are used sometimes in melodic death metal, some deathcore and more commonly in death metal bands. These bands usualy play very quick and violent sounding (in flames, cannible corpse)

hope it helps
I absolutely love Eb and Standard, drop d ocassionally and drop c is ok too. Anything lower sounds mush to me.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by shredder408
it depends of how you play each tuning but ill give you a run down of them all

E (standard) and half step down are good for quick thrashy styles.

Drop D is a very versitile tuning, with a good alround sound. Can be anywhere from melodic to thrashy. My personal favourite (trivium, some lamb of god, three days grace)

D is good for a standard tuning or half step down style, but with a heavier sound (pantera)

Drop C, Drop C# and C are good for quick metalcore styles and hardcore styles. Generaly played in a quick and heavy but still fairly melodic style ( bullet for my valentine, all that remains, disturbed)

Drop B (technically C#, but commnoly known as Drop B)is a very agressive sound and deep for breakdowns. Played quite quick and agressively (slipknot, parkway drive, august burns red, bring me the horizon)

Drop A, Drop A#, A#, A and G# are used sometimes in melodic death metal, some deathcore and more commonly in death metal bands. These bands usualy play very quick and violent sounding (in flames, cannible corpse)

hope it helps

Thank you for writing that out. I think you have misunderstood the question though. I was asking what tunings YOU use and why you like them.
Most of my songs are indrop C. They sound bet in that tuning, but my favorite tunings has to be C standard and drop B
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
E standard, Eb standard, and D standard. Occasionally drop D and drop C.
Last edited by Amer91 at Sep 19, 2009,
Just standard. I just don't like tuning down, I think that you should be able to play anything you want in standard, and if not, it's just a matter of playing around until you can. Just my opinion though, and not really applicable to most people.
Drop D, Standard, Or Drop C for me. Just depends on the sound im trying to get, sometimes drop A#
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
Oh **** disregard my last post, you did point out your favorite tuning

yea not to mention i use about 75% of those anyway :P i like/play every type of metal except techno-metal (lame) and mathcore (simply because i cant :P)
Quote by Bottle of Dirt

I only used standard at the moment because I hate tuning down because of the flop all of my guitars get, even with 13s for some reason.

Why is this? I've got 12's in dropped b and their pretty saggy.. Or is it normal? Just when people say use heavy strings i assumed they'd be reasonably tight.. What to do?
D standard is my favourite
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
I use 2 for my regular playing.
Standard (it's plenty heavy for me) and Open C, it's essentially drop C on the first 3 strings so riffs and whatnot never really get compromised, but with the top 3 strings being different you can get some gready melodies, solos, ifferent arpeggios etc.

But for slide I use Open D and Open G mainly.

Never really into drop tuning, the closest I ever get is drop D, but I don't like playing in that for regular playing, only if a song calls for it.
I use drop Bb normally or B, just for the beef and br00talness haha, nah its onyl because of style of music - if I played in E it wouldn't sound right :/
C# standard all the way, it's low but not insanely low and you're able to play songs for 7-strings with just dropping the E-string to B. I think that standard sounds weak somehow, I like a bass-heavy crunchy sound but I'm not tuning down to get a "dark and evil" sound at all. It just feels right to play in C# standard.
I almost always play in Eb or drop Db, on my seven I play in Bb, drop Db with an added low Ab or drop Ab.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
its usually standard or A standard for me
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Standard, Eb, drop d and sometimes C#
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by 08L1V10N
I like to use standard tuning because with my floyd rose I don't know how to tune down :P

fixed....

Quote by lanzaa
its usually standard or A standard for me

Do you know what A Standard is?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 19, 2009,
I think anything below B standard is just retarded. You don't need it THAT low.
I don't go below B standard unless i'm playing a cover.
I only use standard for my acoustic songs
Half step down for my fast thrash/death metal
And B standard for my doom and melodic death metal.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by 08L1V10N

You can, you just gotta learn how. It's easy.

And I myself use Eb and Drop C.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I like E standard, Eb standard, D Standard, C# Standard, Drop D, Drop C, and Drop B. Oh, and B standard on a 7 stringer. They all have their uses.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My electrics stay in E standard, occasionally drop D, mainly for Muse riffs haha.

My acoustic swings back and forth between E and D standard, mainly to get songs into my vocal range. I'll often leave it in D then capo the 2nd fret if I need E.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I have a guitar tuned A A E Ab A (and it did have another A in there, but the high e string snapped). It's good for discordant droney stuff where you wank around on the Ab, but fret first fret of the Ab, and it's A5. Fret 3rd fret of an A and it's A minor, go one more and it's A major.

So yeh. Cool tuning.

Has anyone tried tuning a 12 string so the octave is the relative minor of the thick string?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I don't care much for drop tunings.

I use E or Eb depending on what I'm playing.

Anything lower sounds like crap with my cheap guitar (not to mention the stings are too light).

I do like the sound of C standard though.
Quote by 08L1V10N

Why not?
E standard

Drop C#

Those are my favorite two. Drop C# is my favorite drop tuning. I love that tuning.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Page 1 of 4