I'm thinking about putting up an ad on craigslist for changing people's guitar strings. Charge $10 for acoustic and regular electric, $15 for FR's. Just as a way to make a bit of extra gear spending money, and I love changing strings on guitars so it'd be a win-win. I know most guitarists change their own strings, but I imagine there's newbies out there that can't/don't want to. Also I'd show them how to do it so they can do it next time on their own.

I could also hardtail a FR for... $30 I guess?

They either provide the strings they want or pay $5 extra for me to provide strings. (D'Addario. 10's for electric, 12's for acoustic)

Opinions?

...or am I just crazy?
... I'd never pay someone for chaging my strings, let alone that much =/

but heck, if you know people that do...
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The only people who would pay that much to change strings are complete idiots, and you should do it!
yep you're crazy, changing strings is usually done for free at most music stores. so bad idea.
Quote by skatefreestyle
I'm thinking about putting up an ad on craigslist for changing people's guitar strings. Charge $10 for acoustic and regular electric, $15 for FR's. Just as a way to make a bit of extra gear spending money, and I love changing strings on guitars so it'd be a win-win. I know most guitarists change their own strings, but I imagine there's newbies out there that can't/don't want to. Also I'd show them how to do it so they can do it next time on their own.

I could also hardtail a FR for... $30 I guess?

They either provide the strings they want or pay $5 extra for me to provide strings. (D'Addario. 10's for electric, 12's for acoustic)

Opinions?

...or am I just crazy?

rly?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
haha, alright, nevermind then. Just throwing an idea out here since I'm randomly brainstorming at 4:30AM.... too much daydreaming about gear I can't afford, it gets the best of ya, haha.

ah well. XD
May as well give it a shot.

If it works, thats great. You found an easy way to make money.

If not, big deal... its not like you lose anything.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Try it.
You never know.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by skatefreestyle
haha, alright, nevermind then. Just throwing an idea out here since I'm randomly brainstorming at 4:30AM.... too much daydreaming about gear I can't afford, it gets the best of ya, haha.

ah well. XD

this should deffinitely be in the "you know you're addicted to gear when" thread
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
It might work...some beginners might have no idea how to, and may not have a GC near them.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
For that much, you better be throwing in a setup too.

"Newbies" won't be looking on Craigslist for people to change their strings for them...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Its too much to charge, $15 for an electric guitar (including string cost), you could offer to set up the guitars (intonation etc) and restring them for a slightly higher price though. And also, it isn't that hard to work out how to change a string for the beginners, I managed to just work it out myself, but there are loads of guides on the internet, and if they have a guitar teacher he might do it for free.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Last edited by hardrockerdave9 at Sep 19, 2009,
I say why not.
If someone will buy a piece of toast on ebay because the burn pattern on the toast looks like JC, then I'm sure there are people out there who will pay for guitar stringing.

However, you might advertise as teaching them how to do it, not just doing it for them.

That's actually not a bad idea, may do it myself.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
So you want someone to pay you to change their strings - I presume you're going to visit their home at a time of their choosing to do it, cos only an idiot would think someone will buy some strings, pack their guitar, take it to a strangers house, leave it there and pick it up again and pay for the privilege!
I remember when I was a begginer it would cost me 20-25 for a string change plus the pack of strings. That's in Canada so in the US I think 10-15 is a good price.
it doesnt take that long

i done mine in 10-15 min max
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.