I'm looking into getting a Fender guitar between the prices of $800-$1100. I've played numerous (mid to high end) fenders as of lately and have fallen in love with their feel and consistently smooth clean tone (particularly strats, teles, and jazzmasters). I play music roughly along the line of Incubus, Alice in Chains, Muse, Soundgarden, LITE, RHCP, Pelican, Opeth (more so, their mellow side), Modest Mouse, Queens of the Stone Age, Porcupine Tree, and Streetlight Manifesto.

I'm wondering if maybe a few of you could give me a few strong Fender recommendations based off of my price preferences, and musical tastes. There's such a wide selection of Fender guitars in this price range that it's hard for me to know where to start looking.
Jazzmasters are pretty darn awesome, but they might not be "chunky" enough in terms of tone for QOTSA, Soundgarden and Opeth kind of stuff.

I'd spend 800 dollars on the guitar, and the rest on a hotter pickup or something.

Teles generally have a very punchy tone to them, but sometimes they sound pretty thin. You gotta try a whole bunch of them to find the right one. I've gotten mixed results from tele's I've played.
If you're playing stuff that requires a heavier tone, (Alice, Soundgarden, etc.), you'll want something with a humbucker in the bridge. I'd recommend the Fat Strat. It's the same guitar as the American STD, only HSS.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Fender fat strat is always a worthy contender if you love the sound of a strat but with more punching power. The pickups may need replacing if they aren't quite what you want.
get the jaguar theyre great guitars
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Whammy
Crybaby
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Proco Rat
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress
EHX Small Clone
EHX Pulsar Tremolo
Boss RE 20 Space Echo
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Fender Frontman 65R
i would lean more towards the jazzmaster or strat. i would also go with a SSS strat instead of HSS as some people are suggesting. while the 'bucker in the bridge can be a nice option, i feel it takes away from that stratty tone a bit. but since most of the bands listed dont really focus on that strat tone (other than RHCP), i would go for the jazzmaster in your position.
I would get a Highway one tele or used american standard tele

and upgrade the pickups to something ballsy in the bridge position (Bareknuckle piledriver) and something smooth in the neck (Bareknuckle yardbird).
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Jazzmaster with a hotter pickup replacement in the bridge.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Jag-Stang?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by jof1029
i would lean more towards the jazzmaster or strat. i would also go with a SSS strat instead of HSS as some people are suggesting. while the 'bucker in the bridge can be a nice option, i feel it takes away from that stratty tone a bit. but since most of the bands listed dont really focus on that strat tone (other than RHCP), i would go for the jazzmaster in your position.

Agreed.
Its all about the 72 Deluxe
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Very interesting, and thanks a million for all the recommendations.

Does anyone have any opinions on the '72 Tele Thinline Reissue? I played one today and loved the clean tone more than life itself...but I played a different guitar of the same make and model two months back and hated it. I'm wondering if someone else here might have a more conclusive opinion on the guitar than I've managed to form...
I'd get a Jazzmaster or a Mustang(the pickups will probably need swapping to play most of that music though, but its still worth it, they play so great).
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by kurtshapedbox
Very interesting, and thanks a million for all the recommendations.

Does anyone have any opinions on the '72 Tele Thinline Reissue? I played one today and loved the clean tone more than life itself...but I played a different guitar of the same make and model two months back and hated it. I'm wondering if someone else here might have a more conclusive opinion on the guitar than I've managed to form...

The QC is like the other MIMs, you can find a good one here and there and when you do they're great. I played 2 that I hated and one that I loved so much I would have bought it had I had enough money.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
your not going to play opeth on a 24" scale mustang or jagmaster. its not gonna happen. they are right about having a humbucker though. if you want a humbucker than you might also consider not buying a strat or tele. if you do get a strat, get a HSS strat. used american strats are awsome. I own one. you might be able to find a new HSS 2008 in a store for $1100 to $1250. before the price increase the 2008 are price locked. they are exactly the same as 2009's except for the price and different saddles.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
your not going to play opeth on a 24" scale mustang or jagmaster. its not gonna happen. they are right about having a humbucker though. if you want a humbucker than you might also consider not buying a strat or tele. if you do get a strat, get a HSS strat. used american strats are awsome. I own one. you might be able to find a new HSS 2008 in a store for $1100 to $1250. before the price increase the 2008 are price locked. they are exactly the same as 2009's except for the price and different saddles.

I've got other instruments to cover the heavier side of Opeth. This next investment would be geared the most at the sounds of Alice in Chains, Incubus, and LITE.

I have one, and it's a magnificent guitar. The MIM Classic series Fenders really are great contenders and are right up there with any American made one, IMO.