Page 1 of 2
Greetings!

I’m referring to electric guitar strings and acoustic guitar strings other than nylon.

Sweat, humidity and regular use sure help on the wear and tear of strings. I always use a cloth that I run on all strings, one by one, before and after playing. Otherwise they wouldn’t last very long.

The type of string (brand and model) should have something to do with how well they perform and how long they last.

So a good choice of strings is important, but how you go about their maintenance must be very important too.

I suppose this must be an issue for many guitar players, myself included. So I'm raising this question hoping some useful answers may arise that would benefit us all.
Always wash hands thoroughly and DRY thoroughly before playing. Wipe down the strings with a clean cloth before and after playing. Don't get the strings get wet at all.
depending on how much i play i usually change em once a week and always wipe them down after playing.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Ricardo Rebelo
Once a week? Wow!

he obviously uses plain steel and has a floyd rose
I eat and play all the time, cbf cleaning strings, i just wipe down my neck every now and again twice a week or so.
If your talking about them corroding, I buy D addario's and they're supposedly rust resistant, and they actually are pretty good as far as that. So pretty much, I just make sure my hands aren't like greasy or wet (Mainly for the guitar) then play, and put in back on the stand, I don't really have to do anything.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
I just give them a quick wipe down after i play them
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Quote by Baby Joel
Always wash hands thoroughly and DRY thoroughly before playing. Wipe down the strings with a clean cloth before and after playing. Don't get the strings get wet at all.

I dont recomend washing your hands, when you play with wet/humid hands your callouses go all floppy and you might loose all that work in an instant just playing with humid hands...

Just use some cloth for wiping before and after playing as you said your already doing.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by metaldud536
I wipe them with string cleaners every couple of weeks. I should do it now since both my guitars are making my fingertips smell like pennies.

lol i hate it when that happens
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Whammy
Crybaby
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Proco Rat
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress
EHX Small Clone
EHX Pulsar Tremolo
Boss RE 20 Space Echo
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Fender Frontman 65R
I pretty much leave my strings alone, then change them when they become unpleasent (roughly monthly, assuming nothing breaks). Whilst I'm sure there are lots of highly worthy things I could be do to increase the life of my strings, I'd rather just spend my time playing.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by metaldud536
I wipe them with string cleaners every couple of weeks. I should do it now since both my guitars are making my fingertips smell like pennies.

I like that smell however.. looks a bit suss sniffing your fingers>_>
I use dental floss to clean all the gunk out from under them.

Judge me if you will...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Wipe 'em down when I finish. Mine stay new looking long after they die. I can feel and hear when they are shot, usually the D and G go first for me, The high E also gets dented pretty quick from my scallops. I change every 100 hrs or so (month)
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 20, 2009,
Usually if I see dirt on the strings, I lick my fingers and start wiping them off. Usually I change my strings every 1-2 months.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

For one, I don't keep my guitars on stands that much. I usually keep them in my case, both for protection, and prolonging string life. Two, I wipe them down using dental floss (I see someone else has that idea too xD) to get any gunk under, and end with a nice wipe down.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
I change them once a week (I play 5h+ a day).
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
one day, i just wanna hire a guitar tech and he changes the strings on every guitar every other day. yeah, that would be niiiiiice......
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by chrisa123
I change them once a week (I play 5h+ a day).

It doesn't matter if you play 5 hours plus a day, i ordinarily play around 4 or so hours a day, sometimes more (with 15 min breaks every hour). And i change my strings every two months or so. the secret is using Elixrs, and wiping them off, not necessarily the top of them but wiping under underneath them will add a month to there lifespan.
Quote by BrownsBlues
It doesn't matter if you play 5 hours plus a day, i ordinarily play around 4 or so hours a day, sometimes more (with 15 min breaks every hour). And i change my strings every two months or so. the secret is using Elixrs, and wiping them off, not necessarily the top of them but wiping under underneath them will add a month to there lifespan.

elixr nanowebs are the best strings ive ever used. They don't sacrifice tone like some other coated strings do, sit with a comfortable tension, and last about 3months at least (if you keep them clean - its still up to 3months if you dont anyway). Brilliant strings
Quote by shredder408
elixr nanowebs are the best strings ive ever used. They don't sacrifice tone like some other coated strings do, sit with a comfortable tension, and last about 3months at least (if you keep them clean - its still up to 3months if you dont anyway). Brilliant strings

well from just about everyone ive talked to, they do sacrifice a little bit of tone, but its just the tiniest bit, and im pretty sure it gets fixed up by just dialing the bass knob back a hair. i've been using DR's a lot and i think i might try a pack of elixers soon
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by Opethfan1
depending on how much i play i usually change em once a week and always wipe them down after playing.

Dude, youve got some serious time and money on your hands if you can do that.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by simpleben09
well from just about everyone ive talked to, they do sacrifice a little bit of tone, but its just the tiniest bit, and im pretty sure it gets fixed up by just dialing the bass knob back a hair. i've been using DR's a lot and i think i might try a pack of elixers soon

well of course they cant be as perfect as plain steel, but like you said you barely notice and you need to take the bass back a tad
I also change them about once every week or two. I use GHS's, so they tend to get gunk on them. None the less I do nothing to keep my strings fresh. I just play. When they need to be changed, they need to be changed. It's only $5 a pack.
I do absolutely nothing, just change them when they're either dented from the frets or too tarnished to hold a tune.

Or sometimes I just change them because I feel like it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I do absolutely nothing, just change them when they're either dented from the frets or too tarnished to hold a tune.

+1
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Dirk Gently

this is the way to do it. i have so many guitars that it would just cost a fortune otherwise lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by smartalec007
Dude, youve got some serious time and money on your hands if you can do that.

I play a ton, im in 2 diffrent bands and i teach guitar at a local community college 2x a week, its all a matter of what you like i think my guitar sounds a lot brighter with a new set of strings i have no problem taking the time to change my strings before a gig or after parcticing for 4 to 5 hours a day. as for the price buy em in bulk there cheeper.

cheers
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Though I probably should, I don't do anything to maintain them, however if I am playing a gig or recording I'll put new ones on. I know I could make them sound better by cleaning them but when it's just practicing, I don't see much point.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
wash my hands before playing and wipe the guitar down afterwards, changing the strings once a fortnight or month doesn`t need anymore than that.
I Usually wash my hands before playing. You should always do that, then after i'm done, i run a cloth up each of the strings individually.

You Can't imagine how much grease gets on the strings, from just one play. It's insane.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Strings themselves are important, I think. I've tried several brands over the years and recently I came across a series from Elixir, a brand that didn't work for me at all, in the past. Their Anti-rust strings seem to accomplish what they promise, to a certain degree. And Optima's gold strings seem to have great tone that lasts for some time.

And since I tend to sweat a bit, I’m always looking for strings that last, without loosing quality tone.

What strings would you recommend that fall in to that category?

And how about string cleaners, do they really work? And which one works best?
I get my dog to lick my strings clean....

Na not really i use this:

Been using it less often recently because...well....I am lazy
i dont much with my strings but change them when it seems like they're really getting old. like when i can clearly see the wear and tare on them.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Nothing but replace them when they die and wash my hands before paying.
Page 1 of 2