Its a marshall JVM 215C, I use it mostly for practice. I read somewhere that you wont get the best tone if you use the amp at low volume? Is this true?

Also, I want to get a overdrive pedal, but I'm not sure which one. I want to get a solo guitarist lead sound, something like Petrucci's sound, or even Malmsteem. So i was thinking of picking up a ibanez tubescreamer, is this a good idea?
well tbh i think it's the opposite. the best tone is achieved by pushing the valves at high volumes. low volumes WILL NOT push the valves. And for the solo lead sound like that i'd suggest looking into a distortion pedal instead. Maybe a boss md -2 or something like that
Any phrase followed by the word "FACT!" makes it more true that it already is.
i hear the tubescreamer's good for lead tone... never tried it though so go try one out
Yeah, that's true, you'll need to crank it for a better sound....you could look into getting an attenuator? Pushes the tubes, but keeps the volume down
get a hot plate
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
what's your price range for an OD? you'll find that each has its own unique character. are you looking to dramatically change your tone or just push your amp harder while maintaining a transpartent EQ from your OD?

a few ODs that are BA in my opinion are the T-Rex MAB OD (and the mudhoney is awesome, but i seem to be a minority in thinking so), the satchurator is pretty good. Let's not forget the fulltone OCD. pretty much any of the mods from Keeley.

tubescreamers are great. almost all the keeley OD models are based off various TS-types, 808, ds9, etc.

there are people here who swear by the badmonkey. here's the real deal on it: it's extremely "cost effective" and in NO WAY transparent, but then again, transparent ODs are the exception, not the norm. Look into Xotic pedals for that.

most clean boosts have enough gain on tap to push your amp into a severely overdriven state without "damaging" your tone. check out the Keeley Katana and Durham's Sexdrive for that.

...and I love how it's become faddish to suggest an attenuator when about 10% of the people here know how to use one. give 'em a look, but unless cranking it is a major no-go for you (like if you live in an appartment), you most likely will not need it.
grisky is on scene speaking the truth. especially about attenuators, i have had no success with them at all. and i own a THD bivalve with a hot plate built into it. don't like it, sucks my harmonics and overtones.

my 2 cents is, this whole cranking a tube amp to get better tone is BS. the truth with tube amps is more complicated than loud=better. what people are saying when loud = better is that they prefer power tube saturation in their tone(think classic rock and blues). what this means is, when you crank up your tube amp higher your running your power tubes more, at a certain point you will run your power section(ie EL34 tubes) past the point it can accurately reproduce the signal from the preamp section(12ax-7 tubes). this adds characteristics to the signal that some people find favorable. but this is not favorable to everyone, there are some people that run amps(like 100+ watts) with so much 'clean headroom' that they never have to worry about power tube saturation cuz it makes their tone muddy(think dropped tuned metal heads with tons of distortion).

so do amps sound better louder? depends on how loud is loud, at what point your amps power section distorts, and whether you prefer power tube saturation in your tone. so the only person who can answer that question is the person playing the amp. not the person giving advice on ug.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by gumbilicious
grisky is on scene speaking the truth. especially about attenuators, i have had no success with them at all. and i own a THD bivalve with a hot plate built into it. don't like it, sucks my harmonics and overtones.

my 2 cents is, this whole cranking a tube amp to get better tone is BS. the truth with tube amps is more complicated than loud=better. what people are saying when loud = better is that they prefer power tube saturation in their tone(think classic rock and blues). what this means is, when you crank up your tube amp higher your running your power tubes more, at a certain point you will run your power section(ie EL34 tubes) past the point it can accurately reproduce the signal from the preamp section(12ax-7 tubes). this adds characteristics to the signal that some people find favorable. but this is not favorable to everyone, there are some people that run amps(like 100+ watts) with so much 'clean headroom' that they never have to worry about power tube saturation cuz it makes their tone muddy(think dropped tuned metal heads with tons of distortion).

so do amps sound better louder? depends on how loud is loud, at what point your amps power section distorts, and whether you prefer power tube saturation in your tone. so the only person who can answer that question is the person playing the amp. not the person giving advice on ug.

agreed.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
cosigned with gumbilicious, and even for the classic rock and blues crowd, tube amps will have a sweet spot where you have just the right amount of power tube distortion before it turns into a fuzzy, loose, muddy mess.
^ yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you know, i think this is the first time i've seen a thread that that discusses the negative aspects of pushing a tube amp too hard. kudos guys, and way to make a good and unique point gum!
Quote by hernythecow
well tbh i think it's the opposite. the best tone is achieved by pushing the valves at high volumes. low volumes WILL NOT push the valves. And for the solo lead sound like that i'd suggest looking into a distortion pedal instead. Maybe a boss md -2 or something like that

Dont listen to this guy......you put a distortion pedal through a tube amp and it will sound bollocks, you need an Overdrive pedal, the circuitry etc is different, and rather than adding more gain you can just use it to push the tubes harder
My Gear

Guitars:
Dean Cadillac

Amp:
Marshall JVM 205H
2x12 Harley Benton Cab w/V30's
also i disagree. a distortion pedal won't necessarily sound bad with a tube amp. and the circuitry is fairly similar, as far as i'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?