I've been playing bass for a bit now and I am looking into upgrading from my current bass (an entry level Ibanez) to something better. I play everything from jazz to metal to ska, so it needs to be pretty diverse/flexible to meet my needs. I'd like to stay at 4 strings, so please no suggestions for 5 strings. My budget is around $600 give or take some so try to keep it around there, nothing over $650. Thanks!
Check out the Peavey Cirrus basses. They are really nice, have active pickups, and play really well. Or possibly the Schecter Stiletto
Quote by inoneed12
The Cirrus looks nice, definitely something to consider. What about this?
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-J-Bass?sku=517887

Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm a fan of ash.

That said, basically any bass you get that isn't a Dean, Epiphone, or B.C. Rich is going to be just fine. Even then there are some exceptions.
Nope, no sig here.
Schecter elite! Pretty good bass feels great but my SR 706 by ibanez completely owns my old schecter
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
If you like something with a synthetic fretboard, try out the Cort Curbow 4 or the fretless version, they are pretty decent basses. It's a bit under you price range, but hey. Try them out.
+1 to the fender and the traben
Take a look at the Ibanez SR500 and Ibanez SRX590. Maybe an MIM P-bass (I know mine works for just about any style)? You might also be able for find a Sterling by Musicman within your price range, but that might not be as versatile as the others.
Well just scanned MF and saw you could pick up an Ibanez SR500, SR530 or SR600, all in your price range, I've played on the 500 and was very impressed. As for differences in the 3? TBH there's not much, just look and see which one you like the best they're essentially the same

You could try a MM Sterling, never played one myself but I've heard good things

There is an Aria that looks nice, would be nice if you could try it out though

And I also second on the Peavey Cirrus, very nice bass, solid construction and good tone on it
I would save up another few hundred and get a custom made Carvin LB-70 in the finish, wood, and colors that I like. Their necks are superb, and their tone is award winning. If you are an intermediate player, you owe it to yourself to move on from factory made basses and get a neck-through bass that will be your companion for the next leg of your bass journey. And since they sell direct, they cut the middleman and you end up getting a high-end bass at about half the cost of a store bought boutique bass.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by jaco de lucia
I would save up another few hundred and get a custom made Carvin LB-70 in the finish, wood, and colors that I like. Their necks are superb, and their tone is award winning. If you are an intermediate player, you owe it to yourself to move on from factory made basses and get a neck-through bass that will be your companion for the next leg of your bass journey. And since they sell direct, they cut the middleman and you end up getting a high-end bass at about half the cost of a store bought boutique bass.

...do we by chance work in the carvin advertising department? lol