please help me to choose a guitar amp.... i play pop punk/alternative rock and sometimes stuff like guns n roses...

^i guess these combos are in the same category, so i really cant choose...
i guess right now im considering marshall dsl 401 ....
is it good and how does it sound cranked? some peaople say it sounds harsh and thin??
i want a fat, thick overdriven sound. maybe recommend something else?
laney.......
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
if you play guns n roses the marshall is a good choice and with the other genres the marshall is more than capable of playing them
I find the Marshall DSLs and TSLs to be sorely lacking in the vintage tones area. They crank up pretty well, but I find them to have a distinctly fizzy character that only becomes more noticeable at high volumes.

I recommend the Laney, or the Peavey with a proper pedal array.
im leaning more towards the marshall, cause that is the sound i kinda want...

maybe i could buy the marshall dsl 50 and a harley benton 2x12 cab with vintage 30's
(a cheap cab)
but i dont know maybe its too big and expensive for me.
is there really a big difference between marshall dsl 401 and dsl 50??
Quote by scream92
im leaning more towards the marshall, cause that is the sound i kinda want...

maybe i could buy the marshall dsl 50 and a harley benton 2x12 cab with vintage 30's
(a cheap cab)
but i dont know maybe its too big and expensive for me.
is there really a big difference between marshall dsl 401 and dsl 50??

DSL50 is the head, DSL401 is the combo. Combo is 40 watts, head is 50. That's pretty much it.

Also, don't cut corners on cabs.
if i buy a dsl 50 head then i can only afford a cheap cab like harley benton g212v (v30's)...
or maybe i can buy a 1x12 cab... would it be alright if i'd be using 1x12 cab with a dsl 50 head??
I find that the DSL401 combo has a certain fizziness and muddiness that can be hard to dial out that the 50 watter does not have.

So yes, they are different, keep in mind that the 401 uses el84s, the 50 watter uses el34s. They are similar in voicing but differ a lot in how they break up.
Quote by Flying Couch
DSL50 is the head, DSL401 is the combo. Combo is 40 watts, head is 50. That's pretty much it.

Also, don't cut corners on cabs.

Buying a Harley Benton cab isn't cutting corners. The speakers are V30's so you know they're great and it's next to impossible to screw up a speaker enclosure. The thing that contributes the vast majority of sound quality with cabs is the speaker type.

Price =/= Quality
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by al112987
I find that the DSL401 combo has a certain fizziness and muddiness that can be hard to dial out that the 50 watter does not have.

So yes, they are different, keep in mind that the 401 uses el84s, the 50 watter uses el34s. They are similar in voicing but differ a lot in how they break up.

this. I really dislike the DSL401, but love the dsl50/dsl100
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
but how is it going to sound with harley benton v30s cab?
can i use a dsl 50 head with a 1x12 cab?
should i buy a dsl 50 and a cheap cab or should i buy a dsl 401 combo??
Quote by James13v
Buying a Harley Benton cab isn't cutting corners. The speakers are V30's so you know they're great and it's next to impossible to screw up a speaker enclosure. The thing that contributes the vast majority of sound quality with cabs is the speaker type.

Price =/= Quality

I didn't say it was. Just a general piece of advice for a brand I've never encountered.
Quote by scream92
if i buy a dsl 50 head then i can only afford a cheap cab like harley benton g212v (v30's)...
or maybe i can buy a 1x12 cab... would it be alright if i'd be using 1x12 cab with a dsl 50 head??

That will probably look akward, as most 1x12s will not be as wide as the head.

Then again, you don't have to put the head on top of the cab.
Quote by scream92
but how is it going to sound with harley benton v30s cab?

There's a pretty strong idea in the guitar playing world that "V30 = best speaker ever." It's a good speaker, certainly - but not for everything. I have one in my Peavey. It's very... punchy, lots of mids come through. I find that most dist. sounds get a distinct fuzz-pedal like quality with a V30. Should be fine for what you want.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by James13v

Price =/= Quality
I suggest you go listen to something like a Stone Age/Mills/Mojo cab w/ greenbacks and then the same amp through something like... you're typical Marshall 1960 w/ greenbacks, come back and tell me that they sound the same.