ok I was planning on going to guitar center today and ordering the B52 AT-112 for 295.00 since they are on clearance..
I am moving to tubes from an mg.. I play metal.
www.myspace.com/empiredown16

they have a peavey 5150 212 combo used in my price range...a little beat up, but I bet it plays just fine. Ill definately check it first.

but the delimma is this..

order the B52 new or get the 5150 used?

hmm..
will the 5150 give a better metal sound and distortion then the b52? i already know the B52 has better cleans, but im more concerned with the distortion...ill have to work with what cleans im given..
thanks!
Last edited by Cisc at Sep 19, 2009,
b52 like to breath fire and break down
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
lots of tubes in a 5151 to replace if they get worn out soon...at least with the new amp u know ull get at least a year out of it before something needs changing.

The peavey will be a lot louder too so think about where ull be using it most
I've read a ton of reviews on the B52. It seems certain that they will break. That is the reason why I didn't buy one. There is a reason it's so cheap. I believe at one point they were selling them for 75% off the MSRP. The reviews scared the **** out of me.
yes me too, however the newer ones (ones made after the first early runs) are fixed arent they?
all the problems are with the older ones that I know of....
Last edited by Cisc at Sep 19, 2009,
quality over quantity

just go buy the 5150
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I don't know which ones are faulty. I think you contradicted yourself.
Where are you playing it mostly, and how loud?

It doesn't really matter, though - I can't think of many metal applications where the B-52 would be a better choice than the 5150.
I like having cleans sometimes and the 5150 just doesn't deliver. I'd take the B52 for the better versatility.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
fixed the contradiction, sorry heh..

I play in a band and we will start doing shows before too long, but i have access to numerous 412 cabs so a 112 or 212 combo is all the same to me.

but i will need external out and an effects loop for sure...im sure they both have them.
an emulated line out would be awesome to plug straight into the 8 track, but I doubt either amp features this.
well, the 5150/6505 amps have pretty good cleans by MG standards, and the distortion on them is great, hense why they are so widely used in metal and shred. The B-52s are better with cleans, but their reliability suffers, theyre a bit tempremental.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ