So I found a used Mesa DC-3 for $425 US.

I play an LTD Ec-1000 with an EMG 60 in the neck and 81 in the bridge.

I play anything from between the buried and me perpetual groove... So I need to be able to get relatively brutal distortion to passable cleans (keeping in mind that I have EMG's) and light classic rock-y crunch.

I may be gigging with this amp, but I would probably end up mic'ing it up anyway... And tone is much more important to me than loudness.

I have $450 US at the moment, I was just wondering whether to get this now or to save up for a Bogner Alchemist or something.

Thanks

EDIT: Alternatively, I just found a 5150 with it's matching cab for 650
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Last edited by c0m2011 at Sep 19, 2009,
In Europe I'd have to pay 1000 bucks for used DC-3 *sob*

Yeah, I think it should do. As far as I know it's a pretty versatile amp, as far as I remember one of the owners said that the distortion is more for stoner metal-like stuff (so, I guess, DOWN etc.) so it should nail classic rock tones too and do the br00talz with an OD pedal in front of it...or even without the pedal since you've got EMG pickups.
so you think i should go for it rather than save up for the 5150?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
ummm they are totally different amps different sounds. the 5150 + EMG's = metal. so if your a metal guy its really obvious choice. for me and what I like, I choose the DC-3. although I can say that the DC-2 is just slightly better, more desirable, rare etc..
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
5150 would give you awesome distorted tone BUT the cleans would suck, I guess. 5150 + EMG = metal, yes, but also awful cleans. Maybe they'd be good enough for you though, I don't know your definition of 'passable'.

Then, there's Peavey VTM-60 and VTM-120, old all-tube heads, one channel, mainly used by Kim Thail from Soundgarden. Technically they are quite similar to 5150, lots of gain, on the other hand they are a bit British sounding and they are supposed to clean up well when you roll off the volume on your guitar. Two inputs, a bunch of DIP switches to shape your sound, I think they'd work pretty well with a guitar equipped with EMGs.

Plus, they are a steal, they cost around 200-350 bucks. Just another reason to hate Americans DC-3 for 425 bucks, gosh...
The cleans may break up a bit on the DC-3, but you an always roll off the volume knob. A DC-5 or DC-10 would really get you what you want since it's the heavier, more brutal version of the DC-3, but it's still a great amp regardless.
USED DC-3 for 425?

GO FOR IT!!!!!!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Ok... would a OD help as far as metal territory? If so which one? Also would I need an EQ pedal of some sort?
Quote by mountain2012

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
oh it'll do metal, especially if you have EMGs; no need to throw an OD in front of it. I got BTBAM tones on my DC-5 with my Hellraiser tuned down and the gain on the lead channel at 3 or 4.
Quote by c0m2011
Ok... would a OD help as far as metal territory? If so which one? Also would I need an EQ pedal of some sort?

OD can boost i to higher gain stuff(it can still do some pretty heavy stuff on its own).
you wont need an EQ IMO.
feel free to add me
Quote by zombiak
5150 would give you awesome distorted tone BUT the cleans would suck, I guess. 5150 + EMG = metal, yes, but also awful cleans. Maybe they'd be good enough for you though, I don't know your definition of 'passable'.

Then, there's Peavey VTM-60 and VTM-120, old all-tube heads, one channel, mainly used by Kim Thail from Soundgarden. Technically they are quite similar to 5150, lots of gain, on the other hand they are a bit British sounding and they are supposed to clean up well when you roll off the volume on your guitar. Two inputs, a bunch of DIP switches to shape your sound, I think they'd work pretty well with a guitar equipped with EMGs.

Plus, they are a steal, they cost around 200-350 bucks. Just another reason to hate Americans DC-3 for 425 bucks, gosh...

i saw a VTM-60 for 100 bucks
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
i saw a VTM-60 for 100 bucks

i saww a VTM 120 w Head for $75
feel free to add me
If you can get a 5150II, I suggest that over a DC-3 any day.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
If you can get a 5150II, I suggest that over a DC-3 any day.....

why?
Quote by mountain2012

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by c0m2011
why?

All the gain of the 5150 with a good clean channel
I just bought it, thanks alot guys. I'll get pictures up in a bit
Quote by mountain2012

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by Brendan.Clace
All the gain of the 5150 with a good clean channel

Passable would be a better word. The cleans on the 5150 and 5150 II are decent at best. The Mesa has a much better clean channel with a lead channel that can get ridiculously brutal, especially with a 4x12 cab and some humbuckers.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Passable would be a better word. The cleans on the 5150 and 5150 II are decent at best. The Mesa has a much better clean channel with a lead channel that can get ridiculously brutal, especially with a 4x12 cab and some humbuckers.

You have obviously never played a 5150II then. The clean is thick and rich. It is actually really awesome.
Hey what OD pedal should I buy to push it into modern metalcore(ish) territory? Because right now all I can get is a Van Halen/Guns n Roses distortion. Although I haven't spent that much time playing with the settings.
Quote by mountain2012

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by c0m2011
Hey what OD pedal should I buy to push it into modern metalcore(ish) territory? Because right now all I can get is a Van Halen/Guns n Roses distortion. Although I haven't spent that much time playing with the settings.

well what is your budget?
feel free to add me
50-100 Us
Quote by mountain2012

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by c0m2011
50-100 Us

Bad Monkey
Dano TransParent OD
feel free to add me
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You have obviously never played a 5150II then. The clean is thick and rich. It is actually really awesome.

You've obviously never played an amp with a good clean tone if a 5150 II has a clean tone that's thick and rich to you. It was subpar at best, and that's from playing a 5150 II AND a 6505+. Both were sterile as hell. Sure they didn't break up and stayed clean, but it wasn't warm at all, sounded clucky, and frankly made playing it unenjoyable. The clean channel on the Mesa (which I've played, and own the 50 watt version of) has MUCH better clarity, definition, fatness, and warmth; it sounds like an old Fender. a 5150 II's clean channel simply cannot compete.

TS, what settings are you using on the Mesa? After about 6 on the DC's master (output level I believe is the name on the knob; my Mesa's home while I'm at college) it gets ridiculously crunchy with humbuckers. Also, what cab are you using it with?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
You've obviously never played an amp with a good clean tone if a 5150 II has a clean tone that's thick and rich to you. It was subpar at best, and that's from playing a 5150 II AND a 6505+. Both were sterile as hell. Sure they didn't break up and stayed clean, but it wasn't warm at all, sounded clucky, and frankly made playing it unenjoyable. The clean channel on the Mesa (which I've played, and own the 50 watt version of) has MUCH better clarity, definition, fatness, and warmth; it sounds like an old Fender. a 5150 II's clean channel simply cannot compete.

TS, what settings are you using on the Mesa? After about 6 on the DC's master (output level I believe is the name on the knob; my Mesa's home while I'm at college) it gets ridiculously crunchy with humbuckers. Also, what cab are you using it with?

Well I just kinda play around with it. Nothing too particular. I can't really find a setting im happy with.

And the master or the output, because there's two.

I have the combo.
Quote by mountain2012

Gear:

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
ah, the combo's not going to be the greatest at metal unless you plug in an extension cab. I usually have my Bass at 8, Mids at 5, Treble at 2 or 3, Presence at 6, gain between 3 - 6, lead channel volume at 6 or 7, and then adjust the output volume (master volume) until your ears bleed. The DC-3 excels at power tube distortion, so turning up loud produces the best results.

You definitely don't need to color your sound with an overdrive, especially if you're using EMGs (unless you have the duncan equipped EC-1000).