After playing my guitar (Gibson Les Paul).The neck (NOT The Fretboard), always is very sticky and i can't slide on it, and makes it hard to change position, etc.

but if i clean it with guitar polish it's ok, but when i play it again it always gets dirty afterwards.

Any suggestions??
P.S I always wash my hands before playing.

Oh, And with my squier (about 2.5 years old)
I never have this problem

Thanks
Last edited by Scayzar at Sep 19, 2009,
wash your hands before you play
Guitars:
Fender Stratocaster (white w/maple fretboard)
Gretsch Electromatic G5120
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (dark blue flametop)
Taylor 214e Acoustic/Electric
Amps:
Marshall Haze 15 Stack
Vox Valvetronix AC30VT amp
Quote by dudexitsjay
wash your hands before you play

Forgot to mention sorry
but i do this
Wipe the neck down with guitar polish, I have the same thing with my painted neck.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I get a similar problem with my Gibson Les Paul Studio. Its from 1993 and has the wine red finish.

At first its okay, then it gets a little sticky, and then after a while it just goes...

But it only really goes sticky when the room is hot or at a gig or practise, normal playing doesnt usually do it.

Make sure you dont have excess soap on your hands, and try not putting anything on the neck, and just wipe it down with a cloth, see how it goes.
You could sand it down lightly with high grit sandpaper, that would make it smoother.
Also, it's probably smoother on your squier because the neck is (probably) unfinished.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
If you don't mind a duller finish on the back of your neck, rub it down with some fine steel wool. It will dull out the shine and remove the sticky feeling almost completely.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
If you don't mind a duller finish on the back of your neck, rub it down with some fine steel wool. It will dull out the shine and remove the sticky feeling almost completely.

What intensity of steel wool do you suggest we should use to wipe down the neck?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Just play it and keep wiping it down after you play it and before you know it it'll be fine.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
For the people who haven't mentioned this. Gibsons are finished in nitrocellulose. Which will make the neck sticky when you sweat. It'll go away the longer you play it. So you don't need to do anything specific, just keep playing it and it'll go away.

If it really is that big of a problem for you, just get some steel wool on the back of it.
Do not sand down the neck. You will just need to play the guitar and wear the finish it. You do not need to wash your hands, or anything, this is just how the nitro finish is at first. It WILL wear in, just keep playing the guitar. My guitar had he typical sticky neck problem for a few months but eventually it will go away.
Quote by al112987
Do not sand down the neck. You will just need to play the guitar and wear the finish it. You do not need to wash your hands, or anything, this is just how the nitro finish is at first. It WILL wear in, just keep playing the guitar. My guitar had he typical sticky neck problem for a few months but eventually it will go away.

Agreed. After receiving my EJ, the neck was pretty sticky. After playing it for a while, the finish wore in around the middle of the neck and isn't that bad in other places.

Just wear it in.
Well thanks for commenting, But i did sandpaper with my squier and its better now,