I recently acquired a Fender Super Champ XD, and its got a line out on the back. What I'm trying to figure out, is can I run that line out to the input on another amp and run them in sequence?
Last edited by tfrost1988 at Sep 19, 2009,
Line out bypasses the power amp I do believe, so I think you can run the line out into the effects return of another amp, then your using the preamp of one amp and the power amp of another.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The line out is a guitar level signal output, not a speaker output. It's used for going direct to a mixing board or PA, or re-amping into another amp. Some amps have a power amp kill switch in the line out jack so you don't have to hook up a load box (like an attenuator set to load) so your amp always " sees" a load. You don't want to run your amp without a cab or load box on the speaker output if the power amp kill isn't there. I run a re-amp setup, running a non-master volume plexi-type amp wide open, but I always use a load box to be safe.
Anyway, once that is sorted out (you may have to read your owner's manual for your amp to get the answers), you simply run the line out to your FX & then into another amp's input, & that amp will drive your cabs & regulate your overall volume. You can run your pedals before the first amp if you want, but some pedals have a more dramatic effect when used between the amps.
I'd first try setting the 2nd amp (the one driving the cabs) to a very clean setting, so it simply amplifies the tone of the first amp. You can crank the ass out of the first amp & get killer output stage distortion at any volume by regulating the volume of the 2nd amp. That's what I do when I play Van Halen covers (this is also how EVH himself did it). My 2nd amp driving the cabs is just a cheap Crate Power Block power amp.
If you have any deeper questions on how to actually do this, just pm me or Kevin Saale (I taught him how to do the re-amping thing, but he knows more technical stuff than I do).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
The line out is a guitar level signal output, not a speaker output. It's used for going direct to a mixing board or PA, or re-amping into another amp. Some amps have a power amp kill switch in the line out jack so you don't have to hook up a load box (like an attenuator set to load) so your amp always " sees" a load. You don't want to run your amp without a cab or load box on the speaker output if the power amp kill isn't there. I run a re-amp setup, running a non-master volume plexi-type amp wide open, but I always use a load box to be safe.
Anyway, once that is sorted out (you may have to read your owner's manual for your amp to get the answers), you simply run the line out to your FX & then into another amp's input, & that amp will drive your cabs & regulate your overall volume. You can run your pedals before the first amp if you want, but some pedals have a more dramatic effect when used between the amps.
I'd first try setting the 2nd amp (the one driving the cabs) to a very clean setting, so it simply amplifies the tone of the first amp. You can crank the ass out of the first amp & get killer output stage distortion at any volume by regulating the volume of the 2nd amp. That's what I do when I play Van Halen covers (this is also how EVH himself did it). My 2nd amp driving the cabs is just a cheap Crate Power Block power amp.
If you have any deeper questions on how to actually do this, just pm me or Kevin Saale (I taught him how to do the re-amping thing, but he knows more technical stuff than I do).

So let me see if I got this correct. Set my Line 6 head (the one driving the cabs) to a clean channel. Would I then run the line out from the 1st amp (the Fender Superchamp) into the effects-loop in? or the guitar input?