Page 1 of 2

made in the usa does not always = quality. its getting worse in 2009. the 90's were an awsome time for gibby though. I work at a guitar store and I see the horrible fret work that passes on about %50 of gibsons under $2000. they must have the janitors assembling guitars with no training or quality control.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
why does the low e string look retarded?
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Ouch, makes me think twice about buying a new Gibson...
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
What am I looking at? Does the 6th string not even fit into the TOM or something?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
if you still haven't figured it out, here's a hint

the bridge is upside down new from the factory
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Gibson don't make mistakes, they just test their players in ways other companies never think of. Wise up people.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Lol. I don't own anything with a TOM so I didn't see it at first. Also it looks like the stoptail is about to fly off the guitar.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Rofl.

Mah gawd they hacked the crap outta the finish under the stopbar.

Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Last edited by Empty Box at Sep 19, 2009,
but does it play? lol

did you buy this and found it out?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
oh sh*t now i see it

gibson going down hill at a 90 degree angle.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
The bridge is upside down?

I do not see this, are the saddles upside down or something? I can't really tell there is too much of a glare.

edit: Oh ****, now I see it, the bridge is flipped, haha I was wondering why I couldn't see the saddles and why it looked like the strings were breaking over the bottom of the bridge.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 19, 2009,
What the hell is this!?
That's it, I'll stick to ESP, thanks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
iv seen worse from them
i used to work in a shop which took in a great deal of gibsons wed always be sending half of em back it was such a hassel
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
LMAO!! crap, this is why you dont buy gibbys online. jeez, they messed that one up good.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I don't think it's that big of a deal.... I mean, I don't know how Gibson put's their guitars together but if some dude puts on 3,000 guitar bridges a day, he might screw up and accidentally put one bridge on backwards.... Chances are the stock strings are crap too, just switch the strings and flip the bridge around....Big frikin deal....

Quote by williamdllr

What....?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by williamdllr

sounds like a cliff to me.

No company is perfect. There will be guitars shipped out that are not perfect.
BUt
This shows a severe lack of.. .well a lot of things.
Its because of the Goddamned new CEO, when he came in he told them to half costs and double prices. As a result, he's ric but his company is dieing around him.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Its because of the Goddamned new CEO, when he came in he told them to half costs and double prices. As a result, he's ric but his company is dieing around him.
New CEO? You mean Henry Juszkiewicz? The same guy who basically saved Gibson from obscurity due to Norlin running the company into the ground during the '70s and early '80s?

You know that he came in during the mid '80s right? And after he came in, Gibson experienced a huge revival and released amazing guitars throughout the time when he was in charge.

Unless you're talking about a different new CEO who came in and told them to half costs and double prices. But please enlighten me on the subject here, with evidence other than a website where employees bitch about their boss. I can bitch about my boss too.
Yeah, but his recent policies have made no f-ing sense whatsoever. Doubling price doesn't make your product better, it just makes it more expensive.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
Yeah, but his recent policies have made no f-ing sense whatsoever. Doubling price doesn't make your product better, it just makes it more expensive.
What prices have doubled? How come no one gets on Fender's case for jacking up their prices a huge deal. They also have huge QC issues.
I don't like Fender either for that exact reason, but it was the quote from him that said he was going to double prices is what bugs me.

Quote by bv310
I don't like Fender either for that exact reason, but it was the quote from him that said he was going to double prices is what bugs me.
I have seen that interview, and it has been completely taken out of context, he increased prices back in the '80s when he first took over. Here is the exact interview, he goes over what he did to revive the Gibson name.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-02-20-forum-gibson_x.htm

Again, I state, these are NOT recent practices, this was back in the '80s when he first took over the company. Complain about his practices back then, but you know what, without them, Gibson would not even exist today, Gibson guitars after he took over were FAR superior to the Gibson guitars in the 15-20 years or so before he came around. People who started that UG petition have absolutely no clue what they're talking about, they read an employer review site, were so shocked to see that in the real world, not everyone loves their job. None of those people know ANYTHING about business, or economics, and are so engrossed in their little rebellion against capitalism that they've forgotten to use their brains and actually read the interview.

This is the very problem with UG sometimes, the youth and inexperience on this site, "give em an inch, and they'll take it a yard." And it's the same case when talking about Gibson guitars and QC in general. You NEVER see the kind of bashing that goes on here on any other forum, ranging from TGP to the LPF. I hate to play the age card thing, but I realize that there are people have played more les pauls than me, however, I have a hard time believing that the resident 14-17 year old Gibson QC bashers have a more expert opinions than the folks on other sites who 1) have owned more Gibsons, 2) have probably played more Gibsons because 3) they've played longer for most guys here have been alive 4) actually make enough money where they don't feel bad about bashing a $5000 guitar.

And I'm not calling you out or anything, it's more a general sentiment that I have which is the main reason I can't help but every time I see a 16 year old kid telling new players that Gibson's QC sucks.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! XD

I still want a Firebird VII and a LP Supreme though.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I still have yet to pick up a truly bad LP Standard...

Some of you 'well-informed people' need to shut up and go play some guitars.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Wow, this sucks. It shows that the attention to detail at the factory is bad. I mean did anyone even play this thing before shipping it out? Gibson's do have pretty inconsistent fretwork, they are 0/2 on the guitars I have owned as far as needing work to be perfect.

Although I think they recently lowered prices on at least the SG's.
At first I thought the saddles were missing but then I saw the the markings and realized it was upside down. Well it's a really stupid mistake on Gibsons part. I have seen a lot of F-Ups with Gibbys lately but I could see why they got over looked. Even though this is no biggie loosen the strings flip the bridge and there you go back to normal. It should have never left the plant like that there are several steps this guitar missed in the QC and last they are supposed to be tested/played. Who ever strung the guitar should have seen it right from the start! It makes you wonder if something this obvious gets by what else do they miss. I would send this pic to Gibson a copy of your bill of sale and where you bought it. Just the fact that the guitar shop missed it is weird. I wouldn't let Gibsons mistakes and screw ups keep me from buying one but you really need to weed thru the iffy ones to find the good ones.

John
For the record, I'm 19, go to university, and have played many actual Gibsons. I feel that their prices are extremely overblown given the quality and overall features of their instruments. Same with Fender and, to a lesser extent, ESP and PRS. The Last two are at least good enough to justify their large price tag.

Speaking ONLY from personal experience, I find that on more recent (I.e. The last two years of production) Gibsons, their overall feel is much worse than those made before. It might just be me, but that's how I feel.

EDIT:
Quote by al112987

And I'm not calling you out or anything, it's more a general sentiment that I have which is the main reason I can't help but every time I see a 16 year old kid telling new players that Gibson's QC sucks.
I totally agree with this point. That always bugs me when people speak from a position of ignorance, based solely on hearsay.

Last edited by bv310 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by fullsailstudent
if you still haven't figured it out, here's a hint

the bridge is upside down new from the factory

no its not, they just destroyed the finish underneath it. here's a normal one

yes it is. I can't believe that came out of the factory like that.
Quote by madshatter
no its not, they just destroyed the finish underneath it. here's a normal one

Son, you are incorrect.
Lots of guitar stores set up guitars when they get them. How do we know this wasn't done by some bonehead at a shop.
Quote by danohat
Lots of guitar stores set up guitars when they get them. How do we know this wasn't done by some bonehead at a shop.

They ship stringed, so I doubt it unless they changed strings for some reason. It could just be some idiot did it after he bought it. Unless TS took the picture from the shop.

Could also be a disgruntled worker in Quality control I guess.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 19, 2009,
What's with the sudden 'Fender is overpriced' ?
Fender are pretty damn decent for what you get, sure you're paying for the name too but they aren't overpriced, and certainly not as much as Gibson.

On a side note, i still don't see what wrong with the bridge...
Last edited by J-Master at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by J-Master
Fender are pretty damn decent for what you get, sure you're paying for the name too but they aren't overpriced, and certainly not as much as Gibson.

HA, a couple months ago i was looking at the duff mckagan bass on musiciansfriend, i play guitar so i wasnt really looking to buy it i was just checking it out cuz im a huge duff fan. any way i noticed it was mim and somewhere in the $700 range. i went back on like two weeks ago to show my friend who plays bass and it went from $700-$1400 0r somewhere in there. its still mim and everthing, the price just magically doubled. and it didnt get that great of reviews ether so i cant say its a supply and demand type thing
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
I could tell something was up with the bridge, but I don't own any gibby's so I couldn't quite figure it out. I don't think you can assemble a strat with an upside down bridge.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by J-Master

On a side note, i still don't see what wrong with the bridge...

Fender increased their prices a few months ago. I'd say the price increase made them go into the "overpriced" territory. The prices are finally starting to trickle down a bit but I'd say they are stll overpriced.
Quote by melton100
Fender increased their prices a few months ago. I'd say the price increase made them go into the "overpriced" territory. The prices are finally starting to trickle down a bit but I'd say they are stll overpriced.

ah alright, didn't know about their price increase.
Nobody sees the tail piece bolt pulling up out of the body?

Jesus........
Page 1 of 2