Page 1 of 2
Ok so I'm a total noob and the only pickups I know that are good for metal are active EMG's. And from what I've heard active pickups sound like crap through anything but a tube amp. So I was wondering, are there any good PASSIVE pickups for metal, that would sound good on say, a Peavey Vypyr 30 or something along those lines ?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Pretty much any humbucker that's not in a £20 guitar. Well, you get my point.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
any pickup can sound good for metal, all it really is is just distortion, its the effect added that do it, most base humbuckers sound fine
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
Everything you said there was wrong... lol...

Active pickups not only sound bad through tube amps, they sound bad through everything. EMG's are not the only good metal pickup, damn near anything with a reasonably high output should do metal pretty well. I recommend dimarzio's, they have a nice feel and a good selection.
I have a pair of SD AHB-1s that have never let me down.
Quote by wesselbindt
Look at what your fav metal artists use.

...Active EMG's
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by enselmis

Active pickups not only sound bad through tube amps, they sound bad through everything.

Wut?

Nothing wrong with actives, at all. I actually have a EMG 60 that does really nice cleans as well, and 81/85 combos are used by so many people for a reason.
SD invader and dimebucker both give you a pretty good metal sound, and what the guy said about just adding distortion to any pickup would probably work just as well. play with the EQ on the amp, too. you'd be surprised just how much that can affect your sound.

EDIT: there's a lot of DiMarzio's that'll give you that, too. basically the higher the output, the closer you're gonna be.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Sep 19, 2009,
i have SD blackouts. they have a nice tone to them.
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

Falcon, you heard wrong. EMGs sound okay through SS amps. But they sound really great through valves.
What guitar are you thinking of putting hot passives in?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Falcon, you heard wrong. EMGs sound okay through SS amps. But they sound really great through valves.
What guitar are you thinking of putting hot passives in?

I'm just thinking ahead, and realised that I'm probably not going to be able to afford a good tube amp and EMG's for metal later if I get a Peavey Vypyr and an Ibanez RG now, which I am.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Careful when people say this type of guitar, or pickup sounds good through this amp or pedal or speaker. Tone is in the hands ....IN THE HANDS!!!!! While some guitars and amps do definitely sound better than others its not a huge deal sometimes. The thing that matters when it comes to metal is the distortion. Distortion is what really makes a metal song sound good. Great guitar + Crappy distortion= Crappy metal song

Some pickups sound pretty god though, Of course EMGs work well with Metal but i feel they arent that versatile (in my opinion). Seymour Duncan pickups Are really good pickups. I feel they produce a good clear and well defined sound and are pretty versatile. Dimarzio pickups are also very nice pickups very versatile very good sound. If you are strictly metal Id say maybe the EMGs. But if you may be playing clean songs or clean passages id say go with the Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio pickups (mabye the Dimarzio between these two)

These are just my opinions, id say go out and look at others pickups as well. But I feel these three may be your best bet pickup wise.

And dont froget about the distortion
Quote by Zayrank
Careful when people say this type of guitar, or pickup sounds good through this amp or pedal or speaker. Tone is in the hands ....IN THE HANDS!!!!! While some guitars and amps do definitely sound better than others its not a huge deal sometimes. The thing that matters when it comes to metal is the distortion. Distortion is what really makes a metal song sound good. Great guitar + Crappy distortion= Crappy metal song

Some pickups sound pretty god though, Of course EMGs work well with Metal but i feel they arent that versatile (in my opinion). Seymour Duncan pickups Are really good pickups. I feel they produce a good clear and well defined sound and are pretty versatile. Dimarzio pickups are also very nice pickups very versatile very good sound. If you are strictly metal Id say maybe the EMGs. But if you may be playing clean songs or clean passages id say go with the Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio pickups (mabye the Dimarzio between these two)

These are just my opinions, id say go out and look at others pickups as well. But I feel these three may be your best bet pickup wise.

And dont froget about the distortion

Cool thanks guys. I'm gonna try some SD's and Dimarzio's out at a guitar store.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Actually, most of the tone is from the amp. Not entirely, but look at the ten somethingsomething-thread in this forum, one of the stickys.

Edit: Here it is! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365675
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by falconthefirst
...Active EMG's

And no Vypyr...
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Quote by compin
And no Vypyr...

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. Emg's don't work with solid state amps.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
have you actually tried the EMGs out?? i' wouldn't rule them out just based on what other people say, you may like them. The best thing to do is to go down to your guitar store, and try out different guitars with different pickups. make your own decision as too which you prefer for your style.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by falconthefirst

Do you have INF pickups? I have it too and yeah..I don't like them and i will replace them soon...
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Last edited by compin at Sep 19, 2009,
Since this is a pickup thread, ill ask a question.
Dimebag used Seymour Duncan pickups? I know there is some pickups called DimeTime that will give a dimebag sound. What about Dean DMT Design Humbuckers? Are they good enough for playing metal?
OMG DIMEBUCKERS IN MAH TELE REHASH!?!?!?!?!?!

Now that we have that over with. I have two replies. Searchbar, and to tell you to try lots of guitars through a good tube amp with similair wood setup. Don't look at what your favorite artist uses. EMG's don't necessarily sound bad... and most will argue they sound sterile. Saying Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios are good is a little like saying pickups are good. There is such a wide range of tones available and you just need to do your research.

Edit:
Quote by Langebrod
Since this is a pickup thread, ill ask a question.
Dimebag used Seymour Duncan pickups? I know there is some pickups called DimeTime that will give a dimebag sound. What about Dean DMT Design Humbuckers? Are they good enough for playing metal?

no no no no no no no. Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence XL 500. I love the tone of those things and any other "dimebag" thing is fake. I'm not trying to be mean to either of you This question kinda frustrates me a little though.
Last edited by maverick_137 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by maverick_137
OMG DIMEBUCKERS IN MAH TELE REHASH!?!?!?!?!?!

Now that we have that over with. I have two replies. Searchbar, and to tell you to try lots of guitars through a good tube amp with similair wood setup. Don't look at what your favorite artist uses. EMG's don't necessarily sound bad... and most will argue they sound sterile. Saying Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios are good is a little like saying pickups are good. There is such a wide range of tones available and you just need to do your research.

Edit:

no no no no no no no. Dimebag used a Bill Lawrence XL 500. I love the tone of those things and any other "dimebag" thing is fake. I'm not trying to be mean to either of you This question kinda frustrates me a little though.

My question wasnt if the DMT design humbuckers was better, but if theyre good enough. Im planning on buying a razorback db, and was wondering if the pickups (dean dmt) was good enough, or if i had to replace with something else
Quote by enselmis

Active pickups not only sound bad through tube amps, they sound bad through everything.

EMG's are good enough for David Gilmour
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by enselmis

Active pickups not only sound bad through amps, they sound bad through everything.

This is complete bull.

Other than EMG's, there are other great pickups that do metal well. Try a Seymour Duncan SH-6, Blackouts, Dimebucker, and Full Shred. DiMarzio has the D-Activators, D Sonic, and the X2N. Bareknuckle has the Nailbomb and Painkiller (if you can afford them). All in all it's what you want, and there will be a pickup out there for you.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Passive EMGs
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Duncan SH-6/SH-5/SH-10.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The problem with EMGs is their lack of versatility, pretty much what you're hearing is the pick-up's active pre-amp.
Quote by oneblackened
Duncan SH-6/SH-5/SH-10.

Gotta go with these- classic!

I personally love the Seymour Duncan JB and the '59- but thats just me

Also- EMGs are good for metal- but you need the right equipment- they do mostly one thing, but man do they do it very, very well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Last edited by Richmanofaction at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by falconthefirst

Yes they do they just don't sound what they would usually through a tube amp.

Anyway ts pickups does your current guitar have? There are plenty of pickups out there that can do metal quite easily that range from being cheap to almost making you divorce your wife expensive.
Quote by Fintrollx
Rockfields; Mafia/Fatass
EMG
Bc Rich pickups
Dimarzio X2N
Seymour Duncan's

Thanks again. I'll check them out.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Langebrod
SD Dimebucker / DimeTime :-D

/dime fanboyism.
Just because Dime's name is on it doesn't make it good-as a matter of fact, his tone was really thin and shrill.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
From what I know, pickups have copper wire in them so they all would be metal. And a majority have nickel and chrome covers, so there you go

Anyway I would say the Bill Lawrence XL 500 or the Dimarzio D Activator are good for high gain.
Can people please get over this EMG's suck through solid state amps, EMG's are only for metal, EMG's are horrible etc etc bullsh!t?

David Gilmour's Pulse DVD tone is legendary, he used EMG SA's. Sometimes the PB&J sandwich eating, sticky fingered, prepubescent teens on UG just gotta stop being smartasses all the time.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
The EMG SA's are very different from the typical active EMG humbuckers that people really mean when they say 'EMGs'.

And it's not so much about "they will sound crap if you use them with [x]", it's more "there is no advantage to using them like this and this other passive pickup will sound better and be less hassle if you insist on using [X] amp".

It's the same with lots of pickups though. Very rarely do I see anyone using pickups/rigs that are the most appropriate models for them. All too often I see people using active pickups with boost pedals; high output passive pickups when they're not cranking their amp; low output pickups put right next to the strings, high output pickups set right down into the body; split humbuckers when they want singlecoils; etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Page 1 of 2