Page 1 of 6
Reading the Bible so you don't have to. An accurate retelling of the Book of Job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPg3kjKBRc

Discuss the lessons learned from the story, how funny it was, and other stuff related to the video, stuff they left out etc.

Don't let this descend into "god is real vs no he's not" that's not the point of the thread.
Also, the first person to say "the bible was written by people lolzzz" gets a "Thank you very much captain obvious" award (ie. I will come to their house and eat their first born son)

This is in the spirit of testing out the whole "religious debate outside R&P thread" idea.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Reading the Bible so you don't have to. An accurate retelling of the Book of Job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPg3kjKBRc

Discuss the lessons learned from the story, how funny it was, and other stuff related to the video, stuff they left out etc.

Don't let this descend into "god is real vs no he's not" that's not the point of the thread.
Also, the first person to say "the bible was written by people lolzzz" gets a "Thank you very much captain obvious" award (ie. I will come to their house and eat their first born son)

This is in the spirit of testing out the whole "religious debate outside R&P thread" idea.

Why?

edit, Nevermind, I can't be arsed to debate where it belongs.
I'm not really into this whole reading the bible through youtube doohicket but I'm having a look at it right now.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That was great
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Get a Job.

"buh dum tish"
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

That was pretty funny

What I don't like about the story itself is the way God not only allows Satan to torture Job to test his faith but the way God himself 'tests' Job, the lesson seems to be - No matter what happens keep your faith in God even though he won't actually help you and when he does he won't bring your dead kids back to life. I don't know about you but that doesn't seem to be a very positive message to me
Ok, I just watched that

God is such a dick. He should've given job back his family, not all his wealth and stuff. That's just very materialistic...
Quote by blackthought
Even though I know, I suppose I'll show
All my cool and cold, like old Job...
Despite all my rage,
I am still just a rat in a cage!
Very well done, I thought it was humorous and easy to follow (though I pretty much knew the story already).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i think people need to realize that the book of job is not what most of them think. It is a story, it was not intended to be a historical book. The Jews wrote it mainly to express the point that it is beyond human capability to understand God and His decisions, so you shouldn't get arrogant and think you could do a better job. He is not a human being and not bound by our limitations and we can't every fully experience him (as humans on earth).

These aren't necessarily my beliefs, but it is how the book is interpreted by the Jews, Catholics, and most protestant religions

edit:
Quote by Kensai
Ok, I just watched that

God is such a dick. He should've given job back his family, not all his wealth and stuff. That's just very materialistic...

i think in the story he's given back double of his family lost, but obviously that doesn't make up for dead children ... I guess back then they didn't care about life as much when they were writing the story . But the whole getting double thing is just symbolic that you will only gain if you let God's plan go through? idk
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Last edited by cap'n curry at Sep 19, 2009,
I hate being the guy that defends the Bible and is flamed by everyone, but that completely warped the tone of the story and made it into a sarcastic "this is meant to be taken word-for-word, instead of having a greater meaning" fairy tale. I wish both Christians and atheists would just stop being dicks to each other and just accept each other.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
The Bible I have is annotated, and it even says the story of Job is almost certainly fictionalized.

I hate being the guy that defends the Bible and is flamed by everyone, but that completely warped the tone of the story and made it into a sarcastic "this is meant to be taken word-for-word, instead of having a greater meaning" fairy tale. I wish both Christians and atheists would just stop being dicks to each other and just accept each other.
It isn't about accepting each other, which I think Atheists do much better than Christians, its about having fun proving others wrong.
Quote by cap'n curry
i think people need to realize that the book of job is not what most of them think. It is a story, it was not intended to be a historical book. The Jews wrote it mainly to express the point that it is beyond human capability to understand God and His decisions, so you shouldn't get arrogant and think you could do a better job. He is not a human being and not bound by our limitations and we can't every fully experience him (as humans on earth).

These aren't necessarily my beliefs, but it is how the book is interpreted by the Jews, Catholics, and most protestant religions

See, most people have a problem with the whole "you're only human so you're too stupid to understand" thing.

Quote by lushacrous

How is it supposed to be taken then?

Quote by guitarhero_764
The Bible I have is annotated, and it even says the story of Job is almost certainly fictionalized.

Well that's certainly convenient... who made the annotations? God?
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by cap'n curry
i think people need to realize that the book of job is not what most of them think. It is a story, it was not intended to be a historical book. The Jews wrote it mainly to express the point that it is beyond human capability to understand God and His decisions, so you shouldn't get arrogant and think you could do a better job. He is not a human being and not bound by our limitations and we can't every fully experience him (as humans on earth).s

See, that's what I don't like about the way God is portrayed in the bible, he just seems like an utterly condescending prick. Why did he feel the need to test Job if he already knew what the end result would be? Just seems like an ego trip on his part.

He just seems to do things because he can and then it's justified because 'No one can know the will of God', terrible moral, you should always question authority
Last edited by Nietsche at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by lushacrous

...The point was that the greater meaning was rubbish. The moral of the story is just as poor as the content of the story.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Kensai

How is it supposed to be taken then?

I'm not going to play UG's Biblemaster, because I most certainly am not. I just know that it's supposed to be an entirely different tone than that. It has more to do with what happens when a just man is stripped of all consequences, and if they become unjust. Plus, they took out the entire ending. I wish I had taken better notes on it in class (college Ethics class, not religion class, before all of you shout out that its biased or anything, because it's not at all), because I'd be able to answer your question a lot better.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Last edited by lushacrous at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by Nietsche
See, that's what I don't like about the way God is portrayed in the bible, he just seems like an utterly condescending prick. Why did he feel the need to test Job if he already knew what the end result would be? Just seems like an ego trip on his part

A much better story would have been
"Satan said that Job would not worship God is his life were made miserable. God said that he would and that settled the issue because Satan knew that God was omnipotent and omni-benevolent"
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Nietsche
See, that's what I don't like about the way God is portrayed in the bible, he just seems like an utterly condescending prick. Why did he feel the need to test Job if he already knew what the end result would be? Just seems like an ego trip on his part

That's the story part. They blamed everything back then as an act from God. If it were a true story and we were there, most of us would not be so blinded by religion to think that all his troubles were God testing him. They may have just been natural disasters or bad luck. People back then, like some people now, simply blamed everything bad that happened as a test from God
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
A much better story would have been
"Satan said that Job would not worship God is his life were made miserable. God said that he would and that settled the issue because Satan knew that God was omnipotent and omni-benevolent"

That's the story part. They blamed everything back then as an act from God. If it were a true story and we were there, most of us would not be so blinded by religion to think that all his troubles were God testing him. They may have just been natural disasters or bad luck. People back then, like some people now, simply blamed everything bad that happened as a test from God

OK
Quote by Kensai
See, most people have a problem with the whole "you're only human so you're too stupid to understand" thing.

It's not that you are "to stupid" it's just that God is above us and as the Bible puts it "his ways are not our ways"
Quote by Nietsche
See, that's what I don't like about the way God is portrayed in the bible, he just seems like an utterly condescending prick. Why did he feel the need to test Job if he already knew what the end result would be? Just seems like an ego trip on his part.

It's often so he can show us something not to prove anything to himself
Quote by Ponyexpress

And what exactly was he trying to show Job?
Quote by Ponyexpress
It's not that you are "to stupid" it's just that God is above us and as the Bible puts it "his ways are not our ways"

I like this guy.

And what exactly was he trying to show Job?
That no matter how bad you have it, don't blame God for your problems?
Quote by lushacrous
I'm not going to play UG's Biblemaster, because I most certainly am not. I just know that it's supposed to be an entirely different tone than that. It has more to do with what happens when a just man is stripped of all consequences, and if they become unjust. Plus, they took out the entire ending. I wish I had taken better notes on it in class (college Ethics class, not religion class, before all of you shout out that its biased or anything, because it's not at all), because I'd be able to answer your question a lot better.

What was the ending like, atleast?

Quote by Ponyexpress

That's what I call a cop-out, though. Yeah **** happens? Want an explanation from god? Sorry, you're too stupid to understand it.

Quote by guitarhero_764
I like this guy.

Even though god is essentially 100% to blame because he made the bet with satan?
Quote by Ponyexpress
What makes you think I was talking about Job?

Quote by Ponyexpress
Quote by Me
Why did he feel the need to test Job if he already knew what the end result would be? Just seems like an ego trip on his part.

Quote by guitarher_764

But in the story God was the one causing all of Job's problems (Initially by allowing Satan to cause his problems and eventually by creating problems for Job directly)
Even though god is essentially 100% to blame because he made the bet with satan?
How about don't get mad at God for your problems, because he has infinite more wisdom than you?

I'm not saying I agree with the message, or that God isn't some sadistic bastard, but you guys are making this a lot worse than it needs to be.
Quote by guitarhero_764
How about don't get mad at God for your problems, because he has infinite more wisdom than you?

That's abhorrent, just because someone is more intelligent than you doesn't give them the right to boss you around, plus God was the one causing him problems in the first place.

I'm not saying I agree with the message, or that God isn't some sadistic bastard, but you guys are making this a lot worse than it needs to be.

We really aren't.
Quote by guitarhero_764

I just punched my little brother in the head and told him not to get mad at me because I have infinitely more wisdom than he does.

Strange... he still got mad at me.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by guitarhero_764

Or so he claims. If we never question, how would we even know? Think about it.

Quote by guitarhero_764
but you guys are making this a lot worse than it needs to be.

I think god knowingly having job's family murdered for the lulz is kind of a... bad thing.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

it's only been 33 posts and it's already happened

so much for that eh Paddy?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Kensai
What was the ending like, atleast?

After watching again, it left more in than I thought (sorry, it's really loud outside my window). I originally thought that they left out the entire part about him getting everything back. But they still didn't say a lot about it. Since I'm feeling lazy, here's also what happened:
Quote by Wikipedia
In the epilogue, God condemns Job's friends for their ignorance and lack of understanding while commending Job for his righteous words, commands them to prepare burnt offerings and reassures them that Job will pray for their forgiveness. Job is restored to health, gaining double the riches he possessed before and having 7 sons and 3 daughters (his wife did not die in this ordeal). His new daughters were the most beautiful in the land, and were given inheritance along with their brothers. Job is blessed once again and lives on another 140 years after the ordeal, living to see his children to the fourth generation and dying peacefully of old age.

Which kinda also shows how this isn't supposed to be taken literally.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by Ur all $h1t
I just punched my little brother in the head and told him not to get mad at me because I have infinitely more wisdom than he does.

Strange... he still got mad at me.

I don't think you do. :P

That's abhorrent, just because someone is more intelligent than you doesn't give them the right to boss you around, plus God was the one causing him problems in the first place.
Yeah I know, but God was "doing it for the greater good", and human understanding can't always understand that.

We really aren't.
Yeah you are. Its a story written by people to help explain their own god. Why would they be making him look evil?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I don't think you do. :P

You underestimate how wise I am.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by guitarhero_764
Yeah I know, but God was "doing it for the greater good", and human understanding can't always understand that.

'For the greater good' what greater good? What purpose did any of that serve except to prove something that God already knew?

Yeah you are. Its a story written by people to help explain their own god. Why would they be making him look evil?

Looks pretty damn evil from where I'm standing

Quote by Ponyexpress
God may or may not have tried to show Job somthing but the point is that in all of our trials God has a purpose behind them.

Except that there was no purpose behind what happened in that story. How on earth do you manage to get from 'God allows Satan to torture Job to test his faith' to 'There is a purpose behind all of God's trials'?
Last edited by Nietsche at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by Ponyexpress
God may or may not have tried to show Job somthing but the point is that in all of our trials God has a purpose behind them.

What was the point for Job's kids?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington