Well my Ibanez is causing me some problems lately. Firstly, the body looks too agressive for me (I play blues rock/classic rock/70s hard rock), next, the trem is becoming a hassle for me, thirdly, the neck I think is too thin (I have a cheap $20 strat copy that has a more comfortable neck).

The thingsthat I DO like about it is the maple fretboard and the sound. With the Super Distortions and my ProCo Rat I get an amazing sound.
So What should I do? If I sell my ibanez how much should I sell it for? I still have the stock pickups. Should I leave in the SD's and sell it for more or should I put the stock one's back in?

If I do sell it what should I get? I listed the genres I play above. My favoritve players are Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix (and most of the greats of the 60s-70s). I am a little against a strat and a SG because my best friends have them and I don't want to have the same guitar. No super slim necks. I Wanna be a little unique with my choice. Budget depends on how much I would be able to sell Ibanez for. I would probably sell the Ibanez and maybe add in another $100 US.

My Ibanez: http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/Wardcorn/DSC05954.jpg

There is some scratches on the back from my belt and pick wear. Nothing that goes through the finish though. There is one paint chip between the bridge PU and the trem. You may or may not see it in the picture
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Sep 19, 2009,
Also I would kinda like it to be a permanent guitar so preferably no entry-level or clones....
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Well my Ibanez is causing me some problems lately. Firstly, the body looks too agressive for me (I play blues rock/classic rock/70s hard rock), next, the trem is becoming a hassle for me, thirdly, the neck I think is too thin (I have a cheap $20 strat copy that has a more comfortable neck).

The thingsthat I DO like about it is the maple fretboard and the sound. With the Super Distortions and my ProCo Rat I get an amazing sound.
So What should I do? If I sell my ibanez how much should I sell it for? I still have the stock pickups. Should I leave in the SD's and sell it for more or should I put the stock one's back in?

If I do sell it what should I get? I listed the genres I play above. My favoritve players are Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Angus Young, Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix (and most of the greats of the 60s-70s). I am a little against a strat and a SG because my best friends have them and I don't want to have the same guitar. Wanna be a little unique with my choice. Budget depends on how much I would be able to sell Ibanez for. I would probably sell the Ibanez and maybe add in another $100 US.

There's your problem. You're automatically not looking at some guitars that almost all of your influences have used.

For instance, Hendrix has used Strats mainly, however, he's also used V's, SGs, Les Pauls, and Telecasters. He also owned an ibanez at one point.

Clapton has used Les Pauls, SGs, and strats.

Page has used Telecasters and Les Pauls (and other guitars of course.)

The list goes on. Don't single out a guitar because your friends have them and you want to be unique. It doesn't matter what the guitar looks like, or if it's popular, if it plays how you want and feels the best out of any guitar you've played, then get it.

For the sake of the thread, go look at PRS. Though, for your genres I still say strats.
Also, you can look at ES335s or PRS Semi-Hollows, or Telecasters.

EDIT:

Quote by Polystant
Also I would kinda like it to be a permanent guitar so preferably no entry-level or clones....

We need to know your budget and if you're willing to go used.

Assuming you have $2000 USD to spend here's the following.

Used/New Eric Johnson Stratocaster
New/Used '57 MIA Reissue Stratocaster
New/Used '62 MIA Reissue Stratocaster
New/Used '52 Telecaster
New/Used PRS Custom 22/24 (Not the SE)
New/Used PRS in any price range really, same with Semi-Hollows
New/Used Gibson ES335/'59 Reissue Les Paul
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 19, 2009,
I forgot to mention the Ibanez neck is so thin it actually sometimes makes my hand sore. I think it is the original wizrd not the wizard 2 if it makes a differnce. I am still sortof looking at a strat but I dunno. I DO want something comfortable but I don't want the same guitar as my friends. Strats and LP's are so overused nowadays. I was considering telecasters.

Aren't PRS's alot more than my proposed budget? Even if they are do they have them at Guitarcenters? I would like to play a guitar before I buy one.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by bmorse
Mabey an explorer of some sort. Clapton used them.

He didn't use them for very long from what I've read. He was mainly known for his use of Firebirds, Les Pauls/SGs, and Strats.
Yes I am willing to go used and I said that my budget is probably about whatever I make from selling the Ibanez plus $100 US. I have no idea how much my ibanez might sell for so maybe help me out with that too.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
I forgot to mention the Ibanez neck is so thin it actually sometimes makes my hand sore. I think it is the original wizrd not the wizard 2 if it makes a differnce. I am still sortof looking at a strat but I dunno. I DO want something comfortable but I don't want the same guitar as my friends. Strats and LP's are so overused nowadays. I was considering telecasters.

Aren't PRS's alot more than my proposed budget? Even if they are do they have them at Guitarcenters? I would like to play a guitar before I buy one.

You stated you were looking for something above entry level. I've seen some PRS's go for $1500 used, which is a good deal considering they're usually over $2500.

If you can't afford over $1000, don't say you want something permanent and not entry level. PRS SE's are the budget models that are around $600. Just like MIM strats are the budget models of Fenders.

As for your ibanez question. Search ebay for how much the model ibanez goes for both used and new, then add in $200 or so for the new pickups. If you include a case or gigbag, you can add some more to it.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 19, 2009,
First off, what is your budget?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I don't necessarily consider MIM budget. What I meant by that were clones/entry level like rondomusic, squier, epiphone, Lyon, First Act, STARcaster, etc.

Read above for proposed budget. Again, I am definately open for used. I'm guessing that I will get about $400 for the Ibanez so just assume my budget is $500. I know there are plenty of decent used guitars you can get for 500 or less.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
I don't necessarily consider MIM budget. What I meant by that were clones/entry level like rondomusic, squier, epiphone, Lyon, First Act, STARcaster, etc.

Read above for proposed budget. Again, I am definately open for used. I'm guessing that I will get about $400 for the Ibanez so just assume my budget is $500. I know there are plenty of decent used guitars you can get for 500 or less.

MIM strats are just about equal to what Epiphones would be.

Used PRS SE is what I'd suggest if you want to be different.
I actually have never even looked at PRS before because of their price but I didn't know about the SE series. Do they stock them at most Guitarcenters and how much do they usually go for used?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Save up till you have about 800 bucks and get a used American Telecaster. Or find something entry level that you like the feel of and buy that.

The only Ibanez RG 270 on ebay is going for 180 bucks. I guess with the better pickups you might be able to get about 225-250 for yours, but I am not familiar with the market.
Okay, this will be a bit over your budget but....... save. Got to be a gift for a custom shop axe.
Custom Spalted Maple / Mahogany Telecaster Spalted Maple Top, Mahogany Body & Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Abalone Dot Markers, Gold Hardware, Wilkinson Bridge, BARE KNUCKLE "The Boss" Pickups - Fully shielded, CTS Pots, Orange drop capacitor. This is a shop build in progress £499
http://www.tcellisguitars.com/guitars4sale.html
Its the lase one listed and progress pics are linked.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I am guessing that I wil be able to get about $400 for mine if I leave it as is. I still am not positive about selling it though. I love it but there are alot of things I really don't like about it...
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
From what I can gather, if you think you can get 400 for your Ibanez, you are high on glue. The only one on ebay is 170 with buy it now. Checking harmony central, people have payed 90-200 to buy theirs used. There is one on usedguitarsales.com for 150. The only one sold on ebay went for 130.
The better pups don't really add much value, at this price point maybe 25-75 bucks.
Quote by Chetbango
From what I can gather, if you think you can get 400 for your Ibanez, you are high on glue. The only one on ebay is 170 with buy it now. Checking harmony central, people have payed 90-200 to buy theirs used. There is one on usedguitarsales.com for 150. The only one sold on ebay went for 130.
The better pups don't really add much value, at this price point maybe 25-75 bucks.

Depends on who he sells too. If he played his cards right, he could sell his ibanez for $400 or a bit less than that. I sold my Ibanez GAX for $175, and I bought it brand new for $100.

Quote by Polystant
I actually have never even looked at PRS before because of their price but I didn't know about the SE series. Do they stock them at most Guitarcenters and how much do they usually go for used?

$650 new or so. Used probably around $400 or less. Depends on how you look. As far as I know, GC stocks SEs.

Quote by Lurcher
Okay, this will be a bit over your budget but....... save. Got to be a gift for a custom shop axe.
Custom Spalted Maple / Mahogany Telecaster Spalted Maple Top, Mahogany Body & Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Abalone Dot Markers, Gold Hardware, Wilkinson Bridge, BARE KNUCKLE "The Boss" Pickups - Fully shielded, CTS Pots, Orange drop capacitor. This is a shop build in progress £499
http://www.tcellisguitars.com/guitars4sale.html
Its the lase one listed and progress pics are linked.

I also agree with Lurcher on his first sentence. Just save your money. I saved for over 9 months before I could finally afford a used Eric Johnson Stratocaster. In my rush of wanting a new and better guitar, I was considering an MIJ Fender (Which isn't bad, but if you want something, why settle for something different?). If I had bought the MIJ Fender, I most likely wouldn't have been happy.

So just save up, get a job, mow lawns around your neighborhood or for your family. Just keep saving till you can afford a real high quality guitar. (High quality used PRS, Used MIA Fender, Used Gibson, etc). Especially if you want something that will last you.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Depends on who he sells too. If he played his cards right, he could sell his ibanez for $400 or a bit less than that. I sold my Ibanez GAX for $175, and I bought it brand new for $100.

Okay...so, hang on to it till you can find someone willing to pay triple what they can get it on ebay for, and then you can make over 400 bucks! Good advice.
This is my biggest problem with guitar playing thus far...I'm never happy with what I've got. One minute I will love this guitar, the next I wanna throw it out the window just as an excuse to buy something new. SHlT.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
This is my biggest problem with guitar playing thus far...I'm never happy with what I've got. One minute I will love this guitar, the next I wanna throw it out the window just as an excuse to buy something new. SHlT.

It is called GAS, and every one on this board suffers from it. My opinion for what it is worth. Keep playing your guitar, especially if you like the sound. It is not worth that much money to sell, and you have already modded it to suit you better, keep it. Save your money to where you have over 500, the closer to 1k the better. You have been playing a while, spending more money on a guitar would not be a waste. Work a little harder to earn the money, keep playing your guitar and form a band ASAP.
Haha yeah I have been trying to form a band but I just moved across the country like 3 weeks ago so I gotta meet people first. I just played both of my other guitars and noticed how much I like the fatter neck so much better. Never again will I get a guitar with such a thin neck.....
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser