One of the main bit of songwriting advice I see is just "playing about and seeing what sounds good". ANd yes. C -> Am does sound good. It's hardly interesting though, and once you've written one song around it, you're pretty limited. I would love to be able to write songs à la John Mayer, but he's just insanely good with chords.

Still, for acoustic sort of things, riffs aren't really an option, and neither are a lot of the lead tricks that I use to base songs around on an electric.

Apart from plugging chords into progressions, what sort of "tricks"/"methods" do you use to structure your songwriting self-jams?

EDIT: I'm more interested in writing blues/rock-tinged acoustic music, but am open to bossa nova- influences and stuff.
Quote by gabcd86
One of the main bit of songwriting advice I see is just "playing about and hearing what sounds good".

To me it always comes back to this.

You listen, study, practice, play, and learn as much as you can which ultimately adds to the materials you have to work with.

To me, being creative is about you finding the notes (so to speak... I mean everything ofcourse) that sound right to you for your creation.

If you have a hard time doing that I would spend more time listening, playing, studying, practicing...ect.

btw, you definitely can play riffs on acoustic. You can play licks as well.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by gabcd86
Still, for acoustic sort of things, riffs aren't really an option, and neither are a lot of the lead tricks that I use to base songs around on an electric.

Don't limit yourself like you are obviously doing now. Change up the standard way of thinking.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Riffs can work great on acoustic. You just for the most part can't be playing metal/rock riffs. The Sad Waltzes of Pietro Crespi by Owen is just one example of a great acoustic riff. Some classic rock riffs do translate good over to acoustic. Rebel Rebel by David Bowie can sound all right as it has a lot of notes left ringing.
Quote by bingeandletgo
Don't limit yourself like you are obviously doing now. Change up the standard way of thinking.

That involves being able to do the standard way of thinking

You know "you have to know the rules to break them"? I half-know the rules, can't really apply them. I also know there are no rules. But ...yeah.