Ok guys so i recently started thinking..
Ima be buying a new guitar soon (next 3 months i hope) hmm the thing is that ima be soon playing in a metal band so i need some gain on my strat! it's single coils only...
getting a new guitar now is impossible. no good guitars in local stores so ima buy it from USA... if A. I go to USA (which is to happen soon i hope) and B. my da goes sooner than me. I aint sure about B cause in that case ima be taking my both guitars with me into the plane and blah blah blah !!Not Comfortable!!
hmm so ima wait till i get there.. but i need gain for the current band.. and ive been thinking what are some good ways to get it!

the rules are
No Major Purchase (don't have money + the stores suck and are really expensive)
No humbuckers (Ive got an SSS Strat, and dont want to change the pickguard)

Pedals may be? (Boosters?? DIY?)
Hot Rail Pickups or Stacked ones?? (to fit the Single sized hole)

may be better set up my current Pups? (the height?)
Di Marzio makes a single coil size super distortion. It's meant to drop right in the slanted bridge position.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Check out some of the pickups Yngwie uses. HS-3 HS-2s. You just need a hotter bridge pickup (For metal, probably hotter than what Fender has out as options) to handle the distortion better.
The Dimarzio YJM's are very low output. I wouldn't recommend them for metal at all. Look into either Dimarzio rail pickups, or maybe Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and a Jb Jr. in the bridge.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
The Dimarzio YJM's are very low output. I wouldn't recommend them for metal at all. Look into either Dimarzio rail pickups, or maybe Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and a Jb Jr. in the bridge.

+1
I would look into the Dimarzio Fast Tracks, Protrack, and the Chopper. But they'll still have a lot of single coil characteristics because of their size.
what i need is more gain so i can pinch harmonic everywhere and do tapping everywhere.. my amp is a crappy practice one. I use my RP-250 to get some dirt.
I will buy a Valveking or something in a year or two

but what i need now is some heavy metal tone.. my pick ups are single and ain't got much hi output.. so the Hot rail or something like that will help me right??
I need some more gain... even if i wouldn't be using an amp but plug straight to the PA through my RP-250 (there's a cabinet compensating circuit).. will the boost pedal help me anyways??
Quote by vigenharutyunya
what i need is more gain so i can pinch harmonic everywhere and do tapping everywhere.. my amp is a crappy practice one. I use my RP-250 to get some dirt.
Your amp and your pickups have no effect on your ability to tap or get pinch harmonics to ring out clearly. You can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic if you practise enough. It's all about your technique. If your harmonics aren't ringing properly and if your tapping isn't clear enough then that is entirely down to sloppy technique. Practise more.

Also, 'gain' has nothing to do with your guitar, or the pickups it has. Pickups can alter output, they do not alter 'gain'.

Anyway, with an RP-250, higher output pickups or an overdrive pedal will have next to no effect. OD pedals and high output pickups are for driving fully cranked all-valve amps harder.

I would suggest you tweak your RP to increase your distortion, practising tightening up your technique and don't worry about pickups and OD pedals until you've got a decent mid/high gain valve amp and you've ditched the RP.

However if you're set on keeping your current amp and the RP, it may be worth you replacing the pickups in your Strat with some low output stacked singlecoils/singlecoil sized humbuckers, like the Seymour Duncan Cool Rails, Classic Stack, etc. They're humbucking (virtually noiseless) pickups but low-output and very clear-toned so they won't mess with the RP.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The only thing I can see that replacing the stock single coils could possibly help with is eliminating hum. Singles hum and high gain makes it worse. Single coil sized humbuckers or noiseless single coils would solve this problem. I personally really like the sound of single coils and high gain because they are very articulate.
yeah i like singles too but the problems are that my current pup doesnt give me a good amout of harmonics and sustain
and I want a better distortion controll
Ive tried with other guitars into my RP and it's cool... I want to be able to play heavy etal. or something like that... (a sound of Sevenfold would most likely explain what i want. that and whitesnake's..) so what shall i do?? tweaking wont help as i know the rp by heart and it's on its best. practicing aint the problem either. couse im pretty well on PH but my guitar wont give me a PH on/around the third fret...
Yuor gonna need humbuckers for those sounds man. Try a GFS lil killer. Cheap single sized humbucker for strat.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by vigenharutyunya
yeah i like singles too but the problems are that my current pup doesnt give me a good amout of harmonics and sustain
and I want a better distortion controll
Ive tried with other guitars into my RP and it's cool... I want to be able to play heavy etal. or something like that... (a sound of Sevenfold would most likely explain what i want. that and whitesnake's..) so what shall i do?? tweaking wont help as i know the rp by heart and it's on its best. practicing aint the problem either. couse im pretty well on PH but my guitar wont give me a PH on/around the third fret...

You obviously didn't read flibbles post. Your pickups will not make doing pinch harmonics any easier, that's about technique. I don't know what problem you have with your single coils, but mine handle distortion just fine, they just hum, which is easily solved with hum-canceling single coils, or shielding your pickguard if you have one.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
^^ i didnt say it's yeasier they just sound better on humbuckers.. mines dont give me the sound for metal. i need the heavy soun d(for ie the Sevenfold's tone or whitesnake )
???

It's opinion I guess. I find them sounding better on single coils. You can get stacked humbuckers in a single coil. Dimarzio does make them. Also, your amp contributes to most of your sound, if you want a heavy sound, get an amp that has heavy distortion. If you're still not getting the sound, then you can buy a pedal to push the amp harder or get new pickups at that point.
ahha so i borrowed my friend's guitar with a humbucker and it sounds heavier on the same preset... it gives more harmonics but still not enough..
hey btw I knew a guy who was plugging his guitar straight to the PA while using only a DS-1
and he had the crappy Behringer Starter guitar but with DiMarzio Pickups and the sounds was pretty awesome.. you know some Petrucci-ish style low note pinch harmonics and so..
so that was not the amp. neither the pedal...

heh??
Much of it is not the gear but how you use it, unless the gear is severely limited. I don't ever see a Fender Musicmaster plugged into a one channel tweed combo ever being capable of metal, but most contemporary gear and anything with a bridge pickup can get some pretty mean sounds.

Case in point...

One of my main four guitars is a 1966 Fender Mustang. It has the original, STOCK, single coils in it that measure even lower than most stratocaster pickups (5.91K). I get that bugger to crunch like a mofo with either a really gainy amp and/or an additional compressor, and just avoid hum by rolling the volume back down when I'm not playing. I also have to cut the highs and some of the mids and crank the lows a little higher for that one as well. Still sounds Mustang-ly, but shreddly so. Of course I'm doing this all with a Behringer V-amp or a Bugera 333XL, both of which can be gainy with a fridge magnet wrapped in radio shack wire for a pickup (to an extent).
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)