heyy everyone.

recently ive actually taken my guitar playing seriously and decided my brothers crappy Westfield E1000 (yes i know) isnt good enough. im looking to buy a new guitar, hopefully for less that £400 (up to £500 if nessecary). Any advice??

oh and play a large variety of music, from alternative rock to slower songs all the way up to metal (although this isnt as important) so it needs to be quite versatile.

ive been looking a lot at the ibanez s470b, is that any good?? oh im hoping for a standard shape as well, nothing fancy

thanks in advance
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 19, 2009,
Ibanez is a good choice, although I would direct you more towards the artist models. Great guitars.
Quote by geenday409
green day rules. i saw em live in sacramento, and billie joe did a tapping solo thing. so i figured you can callem shred.
i would check on ebay for used guitars that are in good condition. you could probably get a nice ibanez prestige for around 500 on ebay. Also, check out the ESP LTD 400 series guitars

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by JesusHat
Ibanez is a good choice, although I would direct you more towards the artist models. Great guitars.

any in particular??

thanks for the amazingly quick replies guys
I think first you should make up your mind as to if you want a floating bridge or not. Put simply floating bridges allow you to change of the pitch of the string from making it sound sharper or making it sound flatter, although a big problem with this for users (specifically new users) is that they are a pain to set up. They are great fun you have to make up your mind as to if you definitely need or not if you don't think you need one then it may just be best to buy a guitar that doesn't have one so you don't have major problems with it later down the track.
Best advice anyone ever gave me;
Go to your local guitar store and just play as many guitars as you can.
after you get a feel for it then you'll find the guitar thats right for you.
Also, it really depends on your style of playing.
Nevertheless ESP, Ibanez, and Epiphone's are all a pretty good bang for the buck
okay ill try that out, sadly my local music stores have a rather limited range of guitars hopefully though ill be able to get a feel for the different brands and try out tuning and playing floating bridges like azn suggested

would anyone recommend any particular series or models to keep my eye out for? seeing as ive only ever had this westfield i dont really know anything about other guitars other than my friends strat.

thanks for the advice
If you're fine without a FR, then Washburn X50 Pro is it. If you do need a FR, then Washburn X50v Pro will do it, but I don't know where to find one.
Do you know what you want in a guitar? Here's a few things that should help us narrow it down.

Fretboard radius
Fret height and width
Neck size
Headstock style (6 tuners on one side or 3 on each side, Like Fender and Gibson respectively)
Type of nut
Bolt on or set neck
How many pickups
What kind of pickups
Pickup output
Style of guitar body (Solid, Semi hollow or hollow body)
Body shape
Type of wood used to build the guitar (Body, neck and fretboard)
How many tone controls
Sidejack or top jack'
Tremolo or no tremolo

I'm not trying to discourage you but these are things that could help. Ibanez guitars usually have a fretboard radius of 16" or so, Fender has 9.50" and Gibson has 12". If you are confused about any of these things please ask me about them and I'll tell you what they mean.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
You so need a MIM Fender Strat. Or tele. Or esquire.

GAK will sort it out for you.
Online or if your willing to the store (well worth the trip) you can try stuff out.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Do you know what you want in a guitar? Here's a few things that should help us narrow it down.

Fretboard radius
Fret height and width
Neck size
Headstock style (6 tuners on one side or 3 on each side, Like Fender and Gibson respectively) - preferably 6 on one side, not a big fan of 3x2, although i dont mind it as long as its quite sleek, i dotn like square blocky heads but i dont mind what arrangement it is as long as its sleek (ie like s series ibanez or schecter blackjack atx's etc)
Type of nut
Bolt on or set neck - not overly bothered
How many pickups - preferably 3 but id like a humbucker tbh so i can get some warmer sounds.
What kind of pickups ^
Pickup output
Style of guitar body (Solid, Semi hollow or hollow body) - solid or semi, itd be nice to get some acoustic sounds out of it occasionally
Body shape - preferably a strat or telecaster or something farily standard
Type of wood used to build the guitar (Body, neck and fretboard) - erm, im dont know enough about a type to say id like it so any
How many tone controls - 2 please, although my current amp seems to be hopeless at differentiating but hopefully this guitar will last through a few new upgrades so yeh
Sidejack or top jack' - recessed top jack
Tremolo or no tremolo - trem please

I'm not trying to discourage you but these are things that could help. Ibanez guitars usually have a fretboard radius of 16" or so, Fender has 9.50" and Gibson has 12". If you are confused about any of these things please ask me about them and I'll tell you what they mean.

i hope that helps, ive put a on stuff i dont get i.e. most of the article . ive never been serious about buying a guitar before so im not really an expert.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 20, 2009,
Ok, Here's a few things that should help you out.

Fretboard radius: How curved the fretboard is for comfort and note bending. The smaller the number, The more curved and comfortable the fretboard is but the harder it is to bend notes. You won't find many new guitars with a radius of 7.25" these days, Fender usually has 9.50", Gibson has 12" and Ibanez has a 16" or so I read. It is a subtle change but makes a difference. Here's a link if you want to read more. http://www.bothner.co.za/articles/radius.shtml

Fret height and width - Fret height has to do with how easy you want to bend or slide notes. High frets make easier bending but sliding is harder so a medium fretwire combined with a fretboard radius of 10" or 12" may be the best depending on your style. The width means how fat or glassy you want the guitar to sound and how well intonated you want the guitar to sound. The wider the fret, The fatter it sounds and the less well intonated it gets. The thinner it is, The crisper and glassier it sounds and the more in tune the notes will be higher up on the neck.

Neck size - How wide you want the fretboard and how fat you want the neck. A wide fretboard makes for easier barre chord playing but harder lead playing (Although one could adjust to it) And the neck size and shape depends on what you like to hold on to. Yes, I forgot to mention the shape. There are subtle types of neck shapes.
Headstock style (6 tuners on one side or 3 on each side, Like Fender and Gibson respectively) - preferably 6 on one side, not a big fan of 3x2, although i dont mind it as long as its quite sleek, i dotn like square blocky heads but i dont mind what arrangement it is as long as its sleek (ie like s series ibanez or schecter blackjack atx's etc)

Type of nut - The nut is the part near the headstock that the strings go through. (It is replaceable) Some guitars have a zero fret and a nut and this works well if made properly. On cheap guitars most nuts are made out of plastic or some other sort of cheap material that absorbs too much sound, Most good nuts are made out of bone as it is very resonant. (I didn't make that up)

Bolt on or set neck - not overly bothered

How many pickups - preferably 3 but id like a humbucker tbh so i can get some warmer sounds.

What kind of pickups ^

Pickup output - How loud the pickups are and how they sound. The magnet strength and wire used and how much wire used. A pickup with weak magnets won't be very loud and a pickup that has fewer winds of wire in it will sound thinner than one with many more turns, Hence the terms "Underwound" and "Overwound".

Style of guitar body (Solid, Semi hollow or hollow body) - solid or semi, itd be nice to get some acoustic sounds out of it occasionally

Body shape - preferably a strat or telecaster or something farily standard

Type of wood used to build the guitar (Body, neck and fretboard) - erm, im dont know enough about a type to say id like it so any - I'd suggest to get a guitar with the body made of Alder, The neck woods are up to you though. Fretboards are mostly made of maple, rosewood or ebony. Ebony is the hardest, Maple is the softest and rosewood is somewhere in between. Many necks are made of Maple.

How many tone controls - 2 please, although my current amp seems to be hopeless at differentiating but hopefully this guitar will last through a few new upgrades so yeh

Sidejack or top jack' - recessed top jack

Tremolo or no tremolo - trem please

Well, It is looking like you'd like a Stratocaster or Stratocaster style guitar so far. FYI Strats have a fretboard radius of 9.50" except for vintage ones, custom orders and modified guitars. I'm not 100% sure what you'd like yet though so please reply and we'll have a better idea.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Sep 26, 2009,
sorry about leaving it so long before replying, its been quite a rough time lately.

anyway yeh back on topic, thanks a lot gargoyle, thats cleared quite a lot up

im still not sure about key dimensions but i hope thisll clear up a few things;

fretboard radius - i tend to play lead so i will need something that is fairly easy to bend with. however seeing as im fairly new to guitar (about 10 months) id like it to be fairly comfortable. i discovered my current guitar is 9.50" so id either like to stick with that or go up to 12".

fret height and width - i need to be able to bend and slide so i dont want to go to far either way so i think your advice on that would be good. a for fret width id like the sounds to be fairly innotated so i think the fret width will probably need to stay lower.

neck size - well due to the fact i quite often switch between lead and rhythm (but i focus on lead) i will probably need a compromise between the two, leaning more towards being easier for lead.

type of nut - as i said before i dont really know enough to say i want a certain type, however i would like it to be quite resonant and have a warmer tone than my current guitar which has a plastic nut.

type of body - ill take your advice and go for an alder body, i recently tried out a few guitars with different necks and say that either rosewood or maple are my preference.

i hope this helps sorry for the shameless late reply/bump
hey everyone, bit of an update, although not to much

lately ive been checking out a few different guitars including the:
PRS SE Singlecut, ESP LTD EC-50 and ESP LTD EC 256

anyone say anything or reccomend any of these guitars. so far im leaning towards the singlecut but im fond of the esps's too so advice as to which are better would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by Todd Hart at Oct 14, 2009,
Quote by Todd Hart
heyy everyone.

recently ive actually taken my guitar playing seriously and decided my brothers crappy Westfield E1000 (yes i know) isnt good enough. im looking to buy a new guitar, hopefully for less that £400 (up to £500 if nessecary). Any advice??

oh and play a large variety of music, from alternative rock to slower songs all the way up to metal (although this isnt as important) so it needs to be quite versatile.

ive been looking a lot at the ibanez s470b, is that any good?? oh im hoping for a standard shape as well, nothing fancy

thanks in advance

Hey Hey Hey, Don't talk Sh*t about the Westfeild...

Haha, only joking (I have one - Getting an ESP soon )

The Ibanez S series is meant to be quite good
Quote by Todd Hart
hey everyone, bit of an update, although not to much

lately ive been checking out a few different guitars including the:
PRS SE Singlecut, ESP LTD EC-50 and ESP LTD EC 256

anyone say anything or reccomend any of these guitars. so far im leaning towards the singlecut but im fond of the esps's too so advice as to which are better would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

A good friend of mine has the PRS SE Singlecut and it is a beautiful guitar. It's pretty much bang on your budget aswell I think so I would recommend that. Well made, great tone, easy playability.

Also someone above had the right advice. Go and play a ****load of guitars. You'll get a better idea of what things suit you (read up on the specs of the ones you like).

But yeh PRS SE Singlecut is nice.
Quote by mnf50
You so need a MIM Fender Strat. Or tele. Or esquire.

GAK will sort it out for you.
Online or if your willing to the store (well worth the trip) you can try stuff out.

This, preferrably a HSS strat (one with a humbucker). In fact you might even be able to get an American strat if you are willing to go used.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 14, 2009,
i had a PRS Se 24 fret for a month, very nice guitar, looks great, sounds great, and plays great. The only reason I retunred it was the 24 fret neck, its a big difference from my accoustic guitar. But PRS Se guitars are high quality
Thanks for all the advice guys, I should be visiting a local guitar store sometime soon to just play some guitars (if they let me ) so I should be able to get a better feel for them hopefully.

Any tips on what to look out for when trying in store, i probably won't be buying anything from the shop so quality isn't an issue. Will it be easiest just to try out some guitars and right down the models that i like and look up their specs online?
Quote by Todd Hart
Thanks for all the advice guys, I should be visiting a local guitar store sometime soon to just play some guitars (if they let me ) so I should be able to get a better feel for them hopefully.

Any tips on what to look out for when trying in store, i probably won't be buying anything from the shop so quality isn't an issue. Will it be easiest just to try out some guitars and right down the models that i like and look up their specs online?
I'd try everything in your price bracket, plus a couple of cheapies and a couple of expensive ones if you can just to compare.

See if you can try them through the same type of amp you have at home too, so you can see what they'd sound like if you took them home

Things to look for? Does the neck feel comfortable, whats the upper fret access like, how comfortable is the guitar shape, weight and balance sitting and standing, what does it sound like in every configuration - eg neck pickup, bridge pickup and both (and middle if it has three), all with varying volume and tone, and don't forget to try out the coil tap if it has one. Are the controls in a practical position for you (ie you can reach them if you need to, but they aren't in the way), can you comfortably palm mute on it, is the bridge comfortable for strumming/downpicking/alt picking/sweeping/palm muting, if it has a trem bridge have a play with it and see how it feels, and generally does it sound and feel right to you?

I probably missed loads of stuff there too

I'd just try everything available and make a note of the make, model and price of the ones I liked - and prioritise it there and then, in case you forget, then look up specs and reviews online.