my band cant find a synth player/keyboardist but i've seen a few bands that play sound effects through the PA via a laptop. can someone explain to me how to do this?
Laptop with music/synth software > PA mixer > Speakers

I also imagine that you would have to play in perfect timing if you did this.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
yea use a pro tools le rig and have the click track goto ur drummers in ears so u will be on time with the other stuff
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
WAAAAYYYY easier solution:

Use an iPod. From the headphone jack, go to a splitter that will send one side to the drummer and will send the other side to the PA system. The drummer presses play on the iPod, hears the count-in, counts the band in, and you're off to the races. Done. NO worries of skipping, freezing, rebooting, windows errors, etc. No worries of skipping or having expensive equipment stolen. Simple, cheap, and nearly idiot proof. What else could you possibly want?

Now the trick (and this goes if you use a laptop too.... just like they did in the old days with sequencers) is that the drummer has to play to a click. This is why the drummer gets a separate feed from the PA. His/hers will have the click along with the samples, whereas the PA feed will just have the samples.

Nobody is allowed to screw up the arrangement. If someone decides to do an extra four bars on the riff under the solo, the whole thing falls apart, because the iPod just plays music - it doesn't adjust to human error like a musician does.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^What he said. The click track is very important, otherwise everything goes to ****. I know, I've tried it with my band, and everything was off. I believe Muse has a click track playing through their monitors so that they're in time with their backing track.
Check out STS9, Sound Tribe Sector 9, they use laptops to add effects while playing. They are a full band as well, guitarist, bassist, dummer, percussionist, and keyboardist.
A band mine plays with a lot run a Mac with Logic into a mixer via USB and then use that mixer into the pa speakers and monitors. That way they are able to use samples that go into the drummers headphones and our able to put effects on their vocals. It is a sick setup, but if it is just basic samples, do what chris said. Make sure you have a solid monitor setup and you are good to go.
Use Kontakt player for sampler, with a basic midi controller rig, then just trigger the desired sample at desired time.
...assuming you have someone in a position with a free hand to trigger the right samples at the right time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by WeTheGods
my band cant find a synth player/keyboardist but i've seen a few bands that play sound effects through the PA via a laptop. can someone explain to me how to do this?

Latency could be a problem there. But if you decide to do this, you will want to test to see if the latency is noticeable.

How you do this. I have no idea sorry.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄