hi
Im having trouble with playing any solo fast ,
Im in a band and my solos need speading up ,
Any tips on getting my fingers to move faster besides hamerons and pulloffs .

Cheers
Brad.
learn the part slow, get it accurate, and gradully increase the speed.
it also helps your picking in general if you learn some scales and speed them up.
Thats what im doing , the scales, but my fingers dont seem to be moving any quicker and my pinkie just folds away
Speed takes time. Trying to play too fast will just make you worse as your muscle memory will be sloppy as hell.
so i just practice scales slightly faster than i would usually ?
ive bein doing this for about a year but i will carry on
Work out your comfortable picking speed, this is not your max speed or an incredibly slow one! It's just a speed that your hand naturally plays at if left to do it's own thing. It should be pretty much effortless.
Once you have that speed your goal is to learn to play your solo-fragment at that speed.
Now is when you start to increase your speed. Get a metronome and increase your speed by about 4 bpm, can you play it comfortably? Does it feel difficult? Does anything ring out that's not meant to?
If the answer to any of those is yes, then bump it back down to your comfortable speed, play at that speed for 5 minutes and try speeding up again.
If the answers are all no, then play at that speed for 5 minutes and then increase your speed by another 4 bpm.

Always make sure to check you're comfortable every time you increase your speed!
Thanks metranome seems to work good , I need to start improvising aswell any tips on that ?
Quote by bradb1993
so i just practice scales slightly faster than i would usually ?
ive bein doing this for about a year but i will carry on
If you are just playing scales straight up and down you're just training yourself to play scales fast. Mix them up into different patterns - play them in 3rds and 4ths, make up your own patterns - that way you are practicing something you can use (you'll probably never play a scale straight up and down in a song) and also practicing more realistic fingering/picking patterns, as you'll be practicing string skipping and using your fretting fingers in different orders.

Edit:
Quote by bradb1993
Thanks metranome seems to work good , I need to start improvising aswell any tips on that ?
Get a backing track (or make your own), work out what scale will work wiht the chord progression, pick 3 or 4 notes fmor the scale (including the root) and just mess around with them until you're confident - limiting how many notes you are using means you can focus on your rhythm and phrasing without having to worry about what note is going to come next. Then when you are feeling confident either do the same thing in a different part of the neck or start adding more notes in - just a couple at a time to start with.

If you can play by ear its even easier - just listen to the backing track til you've worked out in your head what you want to play, then play what you hear in your head.

Don't expect yourself to come out with a world-shattering solo to start with. It'll take time to get good at it.
Last edited by zhilla at Sep 21, 2009,
learn the solo slow at first then keep practicing, just remember that accuracy comes first then comes speed.
GeaR :

CORT x6 equipped with Seymour Duncan Invaders

Digitech RP250

Shitty 30w Silvertone Amp

Randall RG50TC
For the solo part, comes to practice. For the improvising part, learn to use scales and improvising using those scales.