What is your opinion on the pursuit to be the fastest/most technical guitarist/drummer/keyboardist etc. Do you think it is a positive or a negative thing for musicians and music?
Whether or not it is a positive thing for the musician depends on the musician.
Whether or not it is a positive thing for music depends on the listener.
Right now it seems that the most respected musicians are those who have virtuosic abilities, but choose not to use them (aka John Frusciante)

This of course raises the question as to why anyone would bother to spend their entire teenage years practicing guitar for hours a day, if they know they won't end up using most of the stuff they learnt.

Conclusion: do whatever you like, music is an arbitrary activity, anyway. There is no god. The cake is a lie. When you die nothing happens.
Quote by michal23
Whether or not it is a positive thing for the musician depends on the musician.
Whether or not it is a positive thing for music depends on the listener.

this.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
The actually best musicians in the world have technical ability. It is an extremely beneficial thing, in fact, knowing theory and having proper technique give you a huge advantage over someone who has neither. Proper technique on an instrument also allows a full range of motion for the fingers, which allows you to go faster, which allows to be more versitile.
I dont really care to be honest. I listen to music as a whole, so as long as it sounds good I could care less.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I don't care for it at all. Seeing playing fast as being better is waaay too linear.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I prefer artists/bands that have the talent, and use it sometimes like in solos, but don't need to constantly shred or whatever.
Quote by sashki
Right now it seems that the most respected musicians are those who have virtuosic abilities, but choose not to use them (aka John Frusciante)

This of course raises the question as to why anyone would bother to spend their entire teenage years practicing guitar for hours a day, if they know they won't end up using most of the stuff they learnt.

Conclusion: do whatever you like, music is an arbitrary activity, anyway. There is no god. The cake is a lie. When you die nothing happens.

The only people who don't use what abilities they have are the people who don't actually have them.
Quote by sashki

The cake existed, get out.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
its not a good thing at all.
my reasoning is to get to the point where your playing as fast as you can you need so much technical theory shoved up yer ass that you lose the one thing that matters and thats the emotional side to what your playing, cause once you have all that theory you think what will sound best not what feels best.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by DeadlyIllness
The only people who don't use what abilities they have are the people who don't actually have them.

That's retarded.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I think there is a point for striving for amazing technical ability, but being the fastest doesn't matter so much imo.. I like slow music, but just because it's slow, doesn't mean it can't be amazing technically
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
my reasoning is to get to the point where your playing as fast as you can you need so much technical theory shoved up yer ass that you lose the one thing that matters and thats the emotional side to what your playing, cause once you have all that theory you think what will sound best not what feels best.

This will inevitably end as an emotion vs. technique argument, but here goes.

It's hard not to get carried away with technique. You feel inclined to use it, otherwise it seems like a waste. I think having good technique allows you to execute your musical ideas more easily, as it is no longer an obstacle to your self-expression.

Overall, I'd say emotion is more important than technique in terms of what sounds good, but if you have bad technique, how can you express yourself eloquently?
Quote by sashki

It's hard not to get carried away with technique. You feel inclined to use it, otherwise it seems like a waste. I think having good technique allows you to execute your musical ideas more easily, as it is no longer an obstacle to your self-expression.

Overall, I'd say emotion is more important than technique in terms of what sounds good, but if you have bad technique, how can you express yourself eloquently?

I don't think anyone is arguing having technique is a bad thing, but people who want to reach Xnotes per mintute etc... I just don't get that mentality.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King
I don't think anyone is arguing having technique is a bad thing, but people who want to reach Xnotes per mintute etc... I just don't get that mentality.

I want to be able to do it because I want to play like my favourite players.

And the reason they are my favourite players because they sound good to me.

THAT'S RIGHT, KIDS! FAST MUSIC CAN BE FUN!
Quote by sashki
I want to be able to do it because I want to play like my favourite players.

And the reason they are my favourite players because they sound good to me.

THAT'S RIGHT, KIDS! FAST MUSIC CAN BE FUN!

One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by DeadlyIllness

True dat. Why would you have an incredible ablity and waste it, you wouldn't!!!
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Quote by Venice King

I agree.
I believe technical skill and some knowledge of music theory are of course very useful tools when creating music. Developing good technique is a very important part of being a musician. But when your music becomes more about showcasing your abilities rather than creating something listenable, its time to reevaluate.
There's nothing wrong with using the skills that you have built through years of practice, it would be stupid not to. But they should be used as tools rather than becoming the focal point of the music.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Listen to Protest the Hero or listen to Metallica and come back to me. Listen to the Selkies The Endless Obsession solo by Between the Buried and Me and tell me what. Get this just b/c you play fast sometimes doesn't mean you have to play fast all the time. Some bands play fast and play melodic some bands play fast and melodic at the same time.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Quote by TV-Casualty
I agree.
I believe technical skill and some knowledge of music theory are of course very useful tools when creating music. Developing good technique is a very important part of being a musician. But when your music becomes more about showcasing your abilities rather than creating something listenable, its time to reevaluate.
There's nothing wrong with using the skills that you have built through years of practice, it would be stupid not to. But they should be used as tools rather than becoming the focal point of the music.

Yeah, well put man.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by TV-Casualty
I agree.

I agree
i think being the fastest drummer is awsome (cause it doesn't have notes)

currently i want to get guitar speed, maybe like jimmi page or a little bit more, but over that is just some crap that sounds like a mosquito. Im also talking about bass.

The rest of the instruments (saxo, keyboard, etc.) i think it is just how good you choose the notes.
Quote by sashki

i didnt say that you dont need technique at all, but what i am saying is insane **** where your playing up to 16 notes per second or even faster...
but if you want to say about how you need amazing technique to play good what about jimmy page, while he has a great technique hes the sloppiest guitarist who ever lived.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by lucertia.
What is your opinion on the pursuit to be the fastest/most technical guitarist/drummer/keyboardist etc. Do you think it is a positive or a negative thing for musicians and music?

negative. highly negative. music comes from the heart and soul, not from a textbook. its all well and good to be a very technical musician, but to strive to reach nothing but technical ability is just... wrong