hey yall. Im a guitar player but bass seems to be calling me more and more. Im looking into buying a new bass and amp. My first instrument was an old ibanez starter bass and the thing is a mess and i think itd be less expensive to buy a new instrument than to fix it up. I will be buying from a local mom and pop music store so i will probably be buying new. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Van-Gelder-Music-Center-Online_Bass-Amplifiers_W0QQ_fsubZ10QQ_sidZ3304503QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Anyway if you go to there site it shows all the brands they carry. Im not looking to spend alot but i am willing to if its worth it. ( want to pick up a new guitar amp soon also.)

i like playing classic rock, jazz, blues and 80's metal. 4 or 5 string is fine but id really prefer 5 for extra notes.

thanks all
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
Well since the only cheapish bass they sell is a Flea Bass, you don't seem to have much choice
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You can do no wrong with Ibanez or Yamaha. I play a lot of classic rock and metal and have never needed a 5 stringer.

and buy yourself a small, loud combo. You can mike it up and still be loud enough. You'll quickly get tired of carrying around a stack. Weighs a fükken tön.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
they have other basses at there store those must be the only ones they are selling online. www.vangeldermusic.com Sorry bout that. I was thinking of an ibanez but the cheaper ones all seem to be agathis

EDIT: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR405QM-Soundgear-5String-Bass?sku=511826

how is this one?
Gear.
Last edited by Stratoman95 at Sep 19, 2009,
Perfectly good. But I would avoid the 5th string, they can be hard to tune and you'll probably rarely use it. I play metal and I rarely use my B string. I'd get a 4 string and use the extra money to get a better 4 string

Quote by DisarmGoliath
alright so that version in the 4 string would be a good bass?
Gear.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Perfectly good. But I would avoid the 5th string, they can be hard to tune and you'll probably rarely use it. I play metal and I rarely use my B string. I'd get a 4 string and use the extra money to get a better 4 string

i dont use my b string often either but i still wouldn't be able to go back to a 4, i find 5 strings are more comfortable and the extra string is nice to have around for the few times i do use it.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
another vote for yamaha - i had a sub-$200 yamaha for my backup and it sounded better than many and was very well made.

btw, 4 or 5 depends on your own preferences. i started on a 5 string, switched a couple years later to a 4. i do plan to get a cheapie 5 string to mess with, but i prefer a 4, and tune down the low string.
I hate to be a Fanboy, but when I was picking out my first bass, I looked at what Billy Sheehan was using. Not because I can play like him, but because he knows what he needs in a bass. 34" neck, 4 strings, split coil pu, 21 frets. I have 2 basses that have the same specs, lower quality than his of course, but still do the job.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
I recommend 5 string... I regret that i didnt get one when i started, because now i would really need it in very low tunings
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
hmm the only reason that 4 strings might just be better is because im not going past D standard so im not sure if 5 is really needed
Gear.
Quote by Stratoman95
hmm the only reason that 4 strings might just be better is because im not going past D standard so im not sure if 5 is really needed

Then don't get a 5 String. The B isn't so great for low tunings unless you're playing in B standard... or playing with 7 string guitars

Quote by DisarmGoliath
+1 on the getting a four string over a 5 string
The Ibanez is a solid choice, they're quality is amazing, especially for the price. A Squier VM would also be an excellent option
Quote by Stratoman95

i can kind of see your point but just think about when you are playing the E on your A string (7th fret) and you want to play your low F# (second fret on the E string), it would be easier for you to play the 7th fret on the B string
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus