Hi. I have trouble with my Squier's intonation. On the high E string, all notes after the 12th fret fall flat. I tried adjusting the bridge saddle so it's closer to the fretboard, but there is no effect and it can't go further down. I play with 0.10 gauge. I didn't seem to have this problem right after putting on the new strings, but I guess something gradually f'd up. I tried replacing the E string with another, no effect neither. So, any ideas ? A luthier is out of the question.
Last edited by AbsenceOfFaith at Sep 19, 2009,
Truss rod maybe? See if that's in check, it might solve it.

I dunno though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i thought that it was something wrong with your tuner at first
but now ive read
you've got a serious problem there :/
It could be the groove in the nut is at a bad angle, and the string wraps over it more towards the headstock side of the nut, when it's supposed to do so at the fretboard side. This would make the effective length of this string a few millimetres longer and wreak havoc on its intonation. I can see how you might adjust the bridge saddle all the way forward to try and compensate, but I can't see it being in tune anywhere other than open regardless of what you do at the bridge.
Quote by ascend
It could be the groove in the nut is at a bad angle, and the string wraps over it more towards the headstock side of the nut, when it's supposed to do so at the fretboard side. This would make the effective length of this string a few millimetres longer and wreak havoc on its intonation. I can see how you might adjust the bridge saddle all the way forward to try and compensate, but I can't see it being in tune anywhere other than open regardless of what you do at the bridge.

if that actually happened he would be sharp not flat.

my guess is your tuner is slipping or your string is slipping through the tuner. or you just put on new strings and its still stretching out. do the 12th fret harmonic, then finger the 12th fret and play that. thats how you setup your intonation. when you do the harmonic, your finger becomes a perfect 12th fret. the harmonic is always an octave of the open string. ALWAYS. the note you play on the 12th will show you how bad it is.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
i was going to suggest a new string. i missed the end of your post there.

anyhoo, how far off is the intonation?

compare the open string to the fretted 12th.
how far off and again, which way are you moving the saddle?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
We are talking about 25 cents flat on the 12th fret regardless of the saddle position. Strings are about a month old. When I changed the E string with another worn one, I returned the saddle to a neutral position to see if I can start adjusting the intonation from there. I moved the saddle closer to the fretboard, but intonation stayed the same. I use Guitar Rig 3's tuner who I consider pretty accurate. All my other strings play in tune, or adequately close.
Last edited by AbsenceOfFaith at Sep 20, 2009,