Hi there. I'm a huge fan of this website and love what you guys are doing. Thanks! Anyways, I've been playing guitar for 4 years now and really all I've done to this point has been learning songs and playing them. Now I regret this as I am a lot slower on the guitar than people I know who have played for 4 years. I just bought the Mark Tremonti DVD and I love it! I have been doing the legato workout for the last 5 days and it's really a great exercise. My question is, what do I need to do now? As far as solos go, I am confused as to how solos are composed. I realize that you first must get the key and play a pentatonic scale in that key, but I see so many guitarist play solos all over the fretboard and not just in that 1 scale. I just don't really know what I need to be doing now that I haven't been doing.
use your imagination and just play. try not to think too much, but you don't want it to sound like a mess. it's hard to explain.
well, you don't need to play a pentatonic scale to solo

check out the lessons around here
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!