hello everyone.

Recently I ordered a new tremolo block for my squier strat from GFS [guitarfetish]. It was spaced for the lower-end tremolos. It is noticeably heavier than the stock tremolo block.

However. . . the block also being larger than the stock block, it's also taller/longer. The tremolo block is so tall it sticks out of the cavity, and now my back-plate won't cover it D:
Furthermore the tremolo arm doesn't fit in the hole.

I'm not sure how sure I am, but the sustain and bottom-end tone seem more responsive. Could just be me though. I'm a pretty shabby musician.

In any case, I wanted to raise awareness of this because I had never thought this would happen.

Has this happened to any of you?
Need an American trem arm to fit the hole - as the Guitarfetish website says. Also, just remove the backplate - or cut a rectangle out of it for the block to stick out of with enough room to move, like I did on mine.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
good idea. i thought that the trem arm that came with my strat was an american trem. lol@me.

Wouldn't this pose as a problem when your belt/stomach is coming into contact with the block? As it will move it around?

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
At first I felt it, but I don't notice it anymore. The trem block sticks a little less than a centimeter from body. I wear my guitar pretty high, maybe unfashionably high , so I can't tell you much about the belt.
The body of the Squire is much thinner than the MIM and Am. Strats. This was done to make it lighter in weight and give it a trimmer profile for new guitar players. I've built many a strat in my time and this is nothing new by any means. The body of your guitar is just a tad too slim for a standard block to fit in. Now here's the trick: Do you know a machinist? A good one can clamp the block in a milling machine and remove the extra metal from the base of the block. But beware, this is a cast metal and he must use light passes with the miller or this block will crack. The holes for the springs will usually be deep enough after milling,but he can drill them down a bit if needed.
I knew one guitar tech in Ft. Worth that took a grinder to one! Than goodness this guy got out of the business before he trashed more instruments. So just find you a good machinist that is willing to assist you with your needs.

Hope this helps and gives some insight to the problem.
haha. i never knew that the bodies were thinner. thanks a bunch for the solution, too, though this doesn't pose much of a problem.