yeah so im not experienced at all in recording and im looking to get myself started.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Pro-Tools-Recording-Package-502349-i1460841.gc

that bundle caught my attention. i need a laptop for school and they prefer macs for whatever reason. so mainly will this bundle get me started on recording? is it missing important necessities? i dont see a mic on there, besides the one built into the mac, and im not gonna plan on using it.

as you can see im trying to get the best of both worlds thing going on.
Last edited by NickGranger at Sep 19, 2009,
It's overkill. Big time.

Firstly you don't need Pro Tools. Sure it's handy, but I'd stick to Reaper for the first year or so, and then when you're used to recording you can decide if you really need it.

Secondly those KRKs are awsome for the price, however if you're just begining I wouldn't quite fork out on proper monitors yet. Use some HiFi speakers until you're sure you want to keep this up.

Thirdly, you don't have to use a Mac. Windows is grand. If you've been using Macs all your life, fine, it'll be for the better, but don't assume that just because you're recording you have to get a Mac (Jon Hopkins).
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
so do you have any recommendations on any packages that come with everything i need for recording?

im not to worried on the laptop because those im not too confused about, just the software and all the tools i would need
killer bundle! but yeah - it's overkill... if you're RICH get it, but if you're not then listen to Union of V's advice. There's plenty of great inexpensive packages you can assemble yourself. I use Mac's and PC's and am quite partial to my Mac G5 Imac system - it's a recording dream! I also use a Windows laptop (currently running Windows 7 with Sonar Producer 8) - it's kewl but still rather use Mac's for recording.

Get an INTERFACE (USB or Firewire) and Reaper works fine and you can use it FREE. Once you get where you feel the need for speed you can move on up but I DON'T RECOMMEND Pro Tools (but that's just my opinion). It USED TO BE the industry standard but not so much nowdays - I use Logic Studio 9 on my Mac and like it much more than Pro Tools. My bud has a Pro Tools system and he's in love with my Mac/Logic Studio Rig and plans on shuckin' his system and going the Mac/Logic route ASAP. It's a "dream" system to use for guitar and Midi too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Sep 20, 2009,
yeah ive heard alot of great things about logic.

but i dont understand what you mean by interface. as you can tell im completely new to this haha. thanks for the help though
An interface is the machine which gets thesound into and out of the PC (basically a sound card). For recording you'll need Mics > Interface > PC running a DAW.

I'd take any modern PC pretty much and Reaper, but for an interface I'd need to know what you're plugging into it.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.