Hello all, I have been playing guitar for a few years. I started out as one of those guys who wanted an electric guitar and to become a rock star, and played electric guitar, but I never really knew anything about guitar and making my own music. I just played tabs of songs I liked. Anyways on to my point. I started playing acoustic and haven't touched my electric in like a year, I've gotten pretty good and have written many songs on my acoustic (I'm off tabs now, just doesn't interest me to play other ppl songs) so anyways, I recently decided I want to play my electric again. I just picked it up and plugged it in. The tone I'm hearing is horrible. I have no idea how to change amp setting to make it the best sound, I have no idea what most of the knobs do. I have a Fender Strat Deluxe (MIM) and a Fender HotRod Deluxe 40 Watt Tube Amp. It just sounds dull and muddy when I play, and because I know nothing about electric guitar, I just have no idea what to change. Here's my possibilities of what I think might be wrong:
The guitar is no good? (bad pickups, idk?)
The amp is no good?
The tubes are worn out and need replaced?

But I really don't know what to change, and just looking for suggestions... Anyways, the reason I posted that whole explanation is, I don't want you guys to think of me as a total guitar noob, just one who knows nothing about electric guitar and settings

So my question is, what is the most likely problem that I am experiencing the amped guitar sounding really dull and muddy (this is on the clean channel)? Is this what a amp will sound like when it needs new tubes? Is it maybe a problem with just my knobs settings? ANY HELP APPRECIATED! Thanks!
the tube may need replacing but first of all let the tubes seriously warm up before you play and then play for a few days, if the problem persists change the tubes, i hadn't played my electric for over a year and it took a few days for the amp to sound good
Your set up sounds good, you may just have some bad settings on your amp/ guitar right now. You should check out the settings thread to learn how to adjust your amps tones. But tubes could also be the issue, but i don't know much about tubes since ive only had this amp for 2 months. But even if it is tubes i really reccomend the settings thread.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Your equip seems to be quite decent actually. The rest of your questions could be what's wrong with it, but there's one more thing to consider. Put some brand new strings on the guitar.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
this may sound really obvious, but you're saying its sounding dull and muddy. have you turned up the tone knob on your guitar? you hear stories about people calling repair men for their computers when really the thing just isn't plugged in.
Echoing through the stadium were the words of Milamber: "Tremble and despair, for I am power."

My Peeps:
K!rk_Ha(V)(V)et
MaTThe\/\/_BeLlAmY
ChRiS_Wolsten[]-[]oL(V)
The_Anguster
Jolly_Roger_Walters
JoE_PeRrY
\Slash/
Joe_\/\/a[]z[]
Jesus42
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely try everything suggested! If any1 else has suggestions please post those as well, I'm willing to try whatever it takes to get a good sound

Quote by Andragon
Your equip seems to be quite decent actually. The rest of your questions could be what's wrong with it, but there's one more thing to consider. Put some brand new strings on the guitar.

Yeah I was thinking about that as well, the strings have not been changed for quite some time. I will definitely restring it too! thanks.
Quote by MrDude
this may sound really obvious, but you're saying its sounding dull and muddy. have you turned up the tone knob on your guitar? you hear stories about people calling repair men for their computers when really the thing just isn't plugged in.

Yes the tone knob is at the max. I've tried messing with it (bringing it up and down), but as I know nothing about settings as you can imagine it kind of seems like there's so many possibilities of what to change and I get overwhelmed. I could tell it getting muddier as I adjusted the tone knob, but it seems like a different kind of muddier, if that makes any sense. Maybe the settings thread will help me out too, I will go read that in a min. Also, I think it might definitely be the strings could be the problem, it just sounds lifeless and it could be the result of dead strings. But I will try around with everything mentioned thank you guys