Whenever I sweep pick, the strings sound when ever I release my fingers off the frets.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I stop this?
mute the string you are letting off of with the tip of the finger you are using to fret the next note

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
yea basically in other words, don't life your finger completely off the string all at once, just enough so it doesn't sound, and also try using your wrist on your picking hand to mute the strings
So I should stop using my fingertips to fret a string, and use a little bit under them so my finger touches the string that was just played?
Quote by MotaroHax
So I should stop using my fingertips to fret a string, and use a little bit under them so my finger touches the string that was just played?

Basically, keep the finger on the string, just stop putting pressure on it. Then when you need to lift the finger later on to use it to fret another string, there will be no "crossbow effect" to allow the string enough room to vibrate and sound. Also, try muting with your right wrist.
About muting with my wrist.. how do I go about that?

Would I mute one string at a time, or mute them when I'm done with my sweep run?
sorry, when i say wrist i don't actually mean wrist, i meant the side of your hand of the side of your pinky, and basically wen you move on to a higher string, the side of your hand should kind of naturally close in on the higher strings, muting out the bottom ones. It's pretty hard to explain, but the best advice i could give would just be to practice easy 3 string a minor sweeps until you can get them cleanly, and like i said, the muting should just come naturally after awhile