#1
This problem has been persistant for awhile, I think its time to get some help. Well my guitar that I originally bought (Ibanez gio) was my first guitar and it was a floor model. When I got it home and put it through an amp it made a buzz noise through the amp, not so much a buzz and a very loud static sound like the amp is about to explode. Well if I take the cable and just pull it to one side the buzzing stops.

Today I was tightening the nut that holds the input on the guitar and after trying to tighten it as tight as I could I then plugged it in and started playing, well after a minute of playing when I hit the G string (I think it was that string) I felt a tingle in my fingers, I didn't think it was anything then I realised it was a tiny shock, so I of course stopped playing.

My question is what can I do to stop the static and whats with the Electrocution?
#3
The wires on the input jack seem to be attached all the way, I don't know what you mean by the pick-ups being grounded. The shocking has stopped, just not played it but the loud static is still there if the cord is not pulled on by something. Any info?
#4
its either the input jack or the cable. the electricution is from not haveing a ground wire attached to the bridge. thats a job for a tech cause you might need to take the bridge off to check it.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
#5


like said take off the jack, fix the wires you ripped off and return the jack.


oh yeah, and check the amp or the wall outlet. because now that the wiring in the guitar is compromised you're noticing that there's a ground problem in the amp or wall.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 19, 2009,
#6
My input dosent come out like that. You have to work from just inside the little space they give you. The wires seem intact, the problem with the electricity zapping me is fixed, now its just that irritating buzzing when the string is not pulled and none of the wires seem to be falling out or anything. Not trying to be difficult just don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help so far guys and gals.

**edit**

Well I'm thinking I solved the problem slightly. I tightened the nut around the imput jack as tight as I could get it and the static is a lot less than it was although its still there lets hope it will go away with a few more screw turns.
Last edited by Undertow33594 at Sep 19, 2009,
#7
Quote by Undertow33594
My input dosent come out like that. You have to work from just inside the little space they give you. The wires seem intact, the problem with the electricity zapping me is fixed, now its just that irritating buzzing when the string is not pulled and none of the wires seem to be falling out or anything. Not trying to be difficult just don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help so far guys and gals.



the buzzing is going to be the two wires being loose on those lugs, the fact that the cable might not be fitting in the jack correctly, or that the cable is bad.

what type of guitar is it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#8
Quote by jj1565
the buzzing is going to be the two wires being loose on those lugs, the fact that the cable might not be fitting in the jack correctly, or that the cable is bad.

what type of guitar is it?


Ibanez GSZ the GIO series stuff.
#9
there's no way to remove that jack?

there's no plate, or nut holding the jack in there?
i dont suppose you have a pic of the jack, handy.

i ask because you really need to get a good look at that jack.
make sure the two wires are Very secure and to verify that when the cable is inserted, that it's connecting at the little jack arm in there.

(also is that the cable good?)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.


Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
#10
Remove the jack, de-solder the wires. Re-solder them to make sure you have good contact, and make SURE your bridge-ground is still attached and not broken.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
#11
In that picture it shows that the input jack can be totally taken out with two screws, mine dosent have that, you have to operate all from within the little back panel space it appears. I don't have a pic so I hope the explination clears it up.

**Edit** I think this coming Thursday I will consider taking the guitar to my local guitar store and see if they can help fix the problem. I really don't know what to do when it comes to fixing the guitar and I'm sure the repair price wont be insane.
Last edited by Undertow33594 at Sep 20, 2009,