what scale is this?

E F# G A Bb C D.

It's basically an E minor scale with a diminished 5th, but I'm not really sure what it's called. Anyone else know?
I don't know too much about weird scales, but if you flat the E you get a G harmonic minor. Don't think that helps too extremely much though.
Quote by pantera456
what scale is this?

E F# G A Bb C D.

It's basically an E minor scale with a diminished 5th, but I'm not really sure what it's called. Anyone else know?

It's an E minor scale with a diminished 5th. Honestly, that's what it is. But I'm guessing whatever song you got it from (or wherever you actually got it from) also uses the natural fifth as well.
What's the context?

There's a chance its just a G melodic minor, and your calling the wrong note the tonic.
Quote by isaac_bandits
What's the context?

There's a chance its just a G melodic minor, and your calling the wrong note the tonic.

Well it's honestly for part of an original song. I resolve it to the E, so I call it the tonic, but I suppose it could be G melodic.
Quote by pantera456
Well it's honestly for part of an original song. I resolve it to the E, so I call it the tonic, but I suppose it could be G melodic.

What E chord do you resolve it to?

I have a feeling its just E natural minor with heavy use of a b5.
Quote by isaac_bandits
What E chord do you resolve it to?

I have a feeling its just E natural minor with heavy use of a b5.

E minor.

You're probably right, I just wasn't sure.

Edit: actually its an Esus2, I'm just an idiot.
Last edited by pantera456 at Sep 19, 2009,
Quote by pantera456
E minor.

You're probably right, I just wasn't sure.

Edit: actually its an Esus2, I'm just an idiot.

Either way the B natural is still there, so its definitely in Em, and the Bb is just a heavily-used accidental.
enough small talk, the correct answer is half-diminshed or locrian #9, it is the sixth mode of mel minor, used over half diminshed chords
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.