**Alright, this has been updated from "VOX Valvetronix 30W vs. ...?". **

I have found a good comparison to the VOX Valvetronix 30W - the VOX AC4TV & V112TV Cabinet. I understand the VOX Valvetronix 30W costs $269.99, while the VOX AC4TV & V112TV Cabinet is $329.99. I know that both are great practice amps, and have signature sounds. I want to be able to jam with my friends with either of these. The VOX Valvetornix 30W has so many presets and options, while the VOX AC4TV & V112 Cabinet does not. However, the VOX AC4TV & V112 Cabinet has the signature VOX sound, and loves pedals. I'm not sure if the VOX Valvetronix 30W's clean channel is good with pedals or not (I know it already has built-in effects, but some just don't match the pedals!).

Here's what I need to know:
•Which amp works better with pedals?
•Which amp is the better choice for me?

I play rock, alternative rock, and some metal. PLEASE do not recommend any other amps. I have made my final choice - either the VOX Valvetronix 30W or the VOX AC4TV & V112 Cabinet.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-Lefty FENDER Std. Stratocaster
-Lefty ROGUE Dreadnought Acoustic
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
-TC ELECTRONIC ND-1 Nova Delay
-VISUAL SOUND Jekyll&Hyde Overdrive/Distortion
-IBANEZ TS9 Tube Screamer
Last edited by Crashed_Wave at Sep 20, 2009,
You should check out the Roland Cube series and the Peavey Vypyr. I have an AD30VT and the stock speaker is garbage.
Hi, I'm Peter
Save and get an Orange Tiny Terror.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
not too impressed with anything vox makes other than the AC15 and the AC30. there are lots of affordable 30 watt tube amps out there. I'm not going to shoot off a list cause I dont know what you like.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Andragon
Save and get an Orange Tiny Terror.

Why the hell would he? He didn't say what music he likes.

What genres do you play and can you go used?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
EDITED for music genre and necessities.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
Roland?

Do u like tubes or SS?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
Roland?

Do u like tubes or SS?

I'm not interested in Rolands, and either-or. Tubes are always better...
---CURRENT GEAR---
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
Quote by Crashed_Wave
Tubes are always better.
Not true.

SS and Tubes have their place. There was a huge thread called "Good Solidstate Amps" a while back, maybe check it out.

There is a huge bandwagon saying that all SS amps suck and that tubes are always better. I feel bad for those people, I really do.
In your price range I'd get the Vox. But if your gonna be doing metal be sure the get the VT30 not the older AD30VT.
I'm assuming this is for practice?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I don't know what that one guys talking about, theres nothing wrong with the speakers on the ad30vt. I'd go for the VT30 since it has higher gain amp models, i've never had a problem with vox so they are very reliable. And you can pretty much recreate any tone with them, especially with the higher watt versions.
The Vox should suit your needs.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
UPDATED with comparison.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
People don't give the VT30 any credit, it's way better then the Tiny Terror imo and the Frontman. The Tiny Terror is like a toy that sounds muddy.
The Valvetronix is at a much better gain level for the genres you play. You'd need to buy a few pedals to get the tones you want out of the AC4
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
The Valvetronix is at a much better gain level for the genres you play. You'd need to buy a few pedals to get the tones you want out of the AC4

What about pedals in the VOX Valvetronix 30W?
---CURRENT GEAR---
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
Quote by Crashed_Wave
What about pedals in the VOX Valvetronix 30W?

They actually work surprisingly well. I tried a couple pedals through mine when I had it and it worked excellently.
when the Vox has its effects bypassed (via bypass button) and on a nice clean setting, it can take pedals greatly.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
As a VT (100) owner I'll vouch that they are killer amps. They take pedals surprisingly well (like someone else mentioned, on the clean models) and they respond to your picking dynamics better then any solid states I've ever played. In fact the "tube" sag on the Bassman model when cranked is pretty amazing. I say go for it. The VT30 features a smaller speaker which reacts better with the modeling. I had to get an EQ for my 2x12 to clear up some of the mud.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
The AC4TV is hands down a ****ing awesome amp.

I bought one a week ago and haven't touched my boogie at all because I love this thing.

It's loud, and it gets pretty heavy too, feed it some overdrive and you could easily play metal, if not without one.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
The AC4TV is hands down a ****ing awesome amp.

I bought one a week ago and haven't touched my boogie at all because I love this thing.

It's loud, and it gets pretty heavy too, feed it some overdrive and you could easily play metal, if not without one.

They are, without a doubt, amazing amps. But extremely limited as well. The idea of it doing metal without some sort of pedal is laughable (modern metal at least). The gain just doesn't seem tight enough. Classic rock distortion is easily attainable and sounds great. I'd certainly suggest trying one. Would i gig with one un-mic'd? No chance (although I'd say the same about the VT30). But for practice/recording I'd love to have one in my arsenal.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Not true.

SS and Tubes have their place. There was a huge thread called "Good Solidstate Amps" a while back, maybe check it out.

There is a huge bandwagon saying that all SS amps suck and that tubes are always better. I feel bad for those people, I really do.

In this particular case, and at this particular price range, tubes really are better than SS. No need to go on a "Solid State doesn't suck" mini-rant when the statement is true.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
In this particular case, and at this particular price range, tubes really are better than SS. No need to go on a "Solid State doesn't suck" mini-rant when the statement is true.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. The VT series is NOT a full blown tube amp. However, I think as a solid state amp in this price range I think you could do a LOT worse. In my opinion it's hands down the best modeler in the price range. Are there single ended all tube amps that do better? Probably. But if versatility is a request then I don't think the VT has a lot of competition in this price category.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by Natrone
Have you heard of the Line 6 Vetta or the Axe-FX? That is SS at it's best.

Tubes and Solid states have their advantages and dis-advantages. Read for yourself. I was like you, but after reading the thread, I have a much greater respect for SS amps, as I have never heard of the Axe-Fx or Vetta at the time.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174217
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Sep 20, 2009,
^Have you heard of context? Obviously not because you bring up the Vetta and Axe-Fx when the TS wants to know whether to get a VT30 or AC4TV. Vettas and the like are not even close to being attainable.

I would actually get the VT30. As much as I love a small, non master volume Vox monster, the VT30 is quite versatile with usable effects and some good tone. The AC4TV would be better tonewise but will also not break up for overdrive until relatively loud volumes.
VT30. The tone on the AC4TV isn't tight enough or heavy enough for metal. It doesn't really have that traditional Vox tone either. It's more like a Marshall with a Vox's characteristic harmonic complexity.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Have you heard of context? Obviously not because you bring up the Vetta and Axe-Fx when the TS wants to know whether to get a VT30 or AC4TV. Vettas and the like are not even close to being attainable.
Have you heard of reading?

The guy who I quoted said that tubes are always better then SS, and I disagreed with him and gave him my reason why I disagreed with him.