Hey guys, I have a Vox AD30 VT that I bought last year for $125
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Two weeks ago, I started noticing the sound was getting like this sorta static noise in the amp. I wasn't sure if it was my amp, because I had just bought like 3 pedals (pretty much my first pedals ever) and I didn't know if it was just like a bad setting on a pedal or something.

Then I started noticing like a sorta vibration static ringing buzzing kinda noise. Like similar to the buzzing of a guitar string if it's too low.

Then a week later, in the middle of my band practice the amp stopped working all together. For some reason that night, my amp just sounded like total crap to me. Like super muddy sounding. Suddenly, I notice no noise comes out. The lights come on, but no sound comes out.

Just to be clear:
- My amp was turned on and plugged in to an outlet. (Like I said, the lights come on)
- The output wattage knob thing on the back is turned on max. Even if I mess with it no sound comes out.
- I made sure my guitar is plugged in, the volume on my guitar is on max. Regardless if I plug it through my effects, or directly guitar-> amp, there's still no sound.
- I've tried different cables, and when I went over to my friend's amp and plugged into hers, it worked, so I know it's not a cable or guitar problem.
- I usually put the volume maxed out, and the master on like 7-10 to keep up with drummer who hits hard. Is this bad for amps in general i.e. (a Fender Hot Rod 1x12, I was planning on getting one used soon)? I hear people saying stuff like "yeah bro you crank that to 11"so I took it literally except mine only goes to 10.
- I don't use my amp at my apartment very often, it's much too loud and I prefer playing through a Line 6 UX2 with headphones.

I searched online and I'm not sure if I need to replace the tubes or the speaker.
I tried the amp factory reset also:
1. Turn off the power
2. While holding down both the CH and WRITE buttons, turn the power on.
When the CH1 and CH2 LEDs begin blinking, release these two buttons.
HINT: If you decide to abort this operation, press the TAP switch at this point.
3. When you press the WRITE switch, the CH1 and CH2 LEDs will change from
blinking to lit. Initialization will be completed in a few seconds, and the amp
will switch to Preset mode.

I also opened the back of my amp, and I noticed that all the wires are attached and nothing's loose.

I'm not sure if this is a tube problem or a speaker problem or both. I don't know if a faulty tube causes that static noise or a faulty speaker.
If it's a speaker problem, do you guys think this speaker is a sufficient replacement?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-Tube-10-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660287
It kinda sucks cause I paid $125 for this and now I'm paying for a $45 dollar speaker + tax and shipping.
I was planning on getting a 2x12 Ampeg Reverberocket soon since I heard good things about it compared to the Fender Hot Rod 1x12 and the Vox AC15 in the $300-500 range.

As far as tubes go, I have no idea what tubes to get or if I have to like match wattage or if there's like certain tubes that don't work with this amp and some that do.

Thanks.

Jason
Last edited by heyjas0n at Sep 19, 2009,
definately tubes, take your tubes/amp to your local music store and ask for a replacement, your tube has probaby just burned out
Quote by UltimateDud
definately tubes, take your tubes/amp to your local music store and ask for a replacement, your tube has probaby just burned out

Thanks, how can I tell if my tubes are messed up, or my speakers are messed up?
um you are aware that its not an all valve amp? it's a transistor amp and i'd doubt its the valves.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
yeah hate to burst your bubble but its not even really a tube amp.As for the probkem sorry can't help ya man.
There is what....1 tube in there?? Odds are that even if you replace that single pre amp tube it won't make a difference.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Chances are the problem isn't gonna be an easy fix seeing how its solid state.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
There is a tube in it though. I'm pretty sure it's a tube. I think it might be like solid state and tube? Are tubes and valves the same thing?

http://www.soundexchange2.com/voxad30vtvalvetronixamp.aspx
"VOX Valve Reactor for true tube power amp sound and feel. The AD30VT features Vox's patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker."

Are 12AX7 triode vacuum tubes not considered tubes?

Also, if this were to happen to me on another amp, how can I tell if my tubes are messed up, or my speakers are messed up?

Thanks,
Jason
Last edited by heyjas0n at Sep 19, 2009,
Thoroughly clean ALL of your input/output jacks on the amp. Vox cut some corners and these tend to stick resulting in volume loss. Use electronics contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack). If NONE of this results in a fix, I'd say you're looking at a bad solder joint internally. Not much I can do to help there besides suggesting a repairman.

I've given you all the basic solutions for these amps. Try step two which I've listed above and see if it doesn't help. Just spray the cleaner on a plug and thoroughly work it in and out of the socket.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Sep 20, 2009,
One tube does not make it a tube amp. It is extremely unlikely that your problem has anything to do with that one tube.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thoroughly clean ALL of your input/output jacks on the amp. Vox cut some corners and these tend to stick resulting in volume loss. Use electronics contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack). If NONE of this results in a fix, I'd say you're looking at a bad solder joint internally. Not much I can do to help there besides suggesting a repairman.

I've given you all the basic solutions for these amps. Try step two which I've listed above and see if it doesn't help. Just spray the cleaner on a plug and thoroughly work it in and out of the socket.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86

^This. It's usually always a solder point. At least, it has been in my expirience.
Quote by ianae86
...Just spray the cleaner on a plug and thoroughly work it in and out of the socket.

HAWT.
'07 Fender MIM Strat-Sunburst
'09 Epiphone Les Paul Custom-White
Digitech Whammy
Boss Overdrive/Distortion
VOX AD100VTH + Legion 4x12 Cab
VOX AD50VT + Sunn 2x15 Cab
Squier P-Bass
Acoustic B200H and B115 cab
1967 Hammond J-111 Organ