Okay, I realize that's really vague, so let me tell you why and maybe it would help. I'm a bassist, but I write music for all instruments. My band has had two guitarists for awhile now, and I like messing with the options that having two guitarists provides, but I want to look a little more into how lead lines can work with rhythms, because lately I've been running out of ideas, and that's leading to a bit of trouble. So what are some Punk and Alternative bands that make use of two guitars, and what are a few songs by them I should take a look at? Personally, what I'm looking for are bands like Alkaline Trio and Senses Fail.
minus the bear

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by herby190
Okay, I realize that's really vague, so let me tell you why and maybe it would help. I'm a bassist, but I write music for all instruments. My band has had two guitarists for awhile now, and I like messing with the options that having two guitarists provides, but I want to look a little more into how lead lines can work with rhythms, because lately I've been running out of ideas, and that's leading to a bit of trouble. So what are some Punk and Alternative bands that make use of two guitars, and what are a few songs by them I should take a look at? Personally, what I'm looking for are bands like Alkaline Trio and Senses Fail.

to the emo and pop-punk forum with you!
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
GG Allin's various backing bands often had 2 guitarists
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by DempseyPunk

to the emo and pop-punk forum with you!
Don't worry, I don't plan on writing Emo-Pop-Punk crap, I just happen to like some of their guitar work, like in Warbrain and Help Me.
Quote by herby190
Don't worry, I don't plan on writing Emo-Pop-Punk crap, I just happen to like some of their guitar work, like in Warbrain and Help Me.

top 10 punk bands
GO!
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by DempseyPunk
top 10 punk bands
GO!

downway
nofx

the rest are obsolete!
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Here's a tip for writing rhythm work.

Take your basslines. Make the rhythm guitarist play what you're playing, except turn everything into powerchords. Work from there.
Quote by Alex Vik

Take your basslines. Make the rhythm guitarist play what you're playing, except turn everything into powerchords. Work from there.

i thought everyone knew that
Quote by sketchy z
downway
nofx

the rest are obsolete!

wow really?
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by DempseyPunk
top 10 punk bands
GO!
You mean list mine? Alright, in no particular order:

Greenday (early stuff, before they were popular)
The Offspring (but Americana and Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace are both crap)
Nirvana (admit it or not, they have some punk songs)
The Strokes
Blink-182 (I know, Pop-Punk, get over it)
NOFX
Pennywise
The Ramones
Seether
Saliva
Quote by Alex Vik

I already know about that, and it's good advice to start out with, but I'm looking more into the lead; I can write the rhythm and bass fine, but I need to look more into the way the lead can work off of the rhythm.
Quote by herby190
You mean list mine? Alright, in no particular order:

Greenday (early stuff, before they were popular)
The Offspring (but Americana and Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace are both crap)
Nirvana (admit it or not, they have some punk songs)
The Strokes
Blink-182 (I know, Pop-Punk, get over it)
NOFX
Pennywise
The Ramones
Seether
Saliva

ಠ_ಠ

ಥ_ಥ

Quote by herby190
I already know about that, and it's good advice to start out with, but I'm looking more into the lead; I can write the rhythm and bass fine, but I need to look more into the way the lead can work off of the rhythm.

harmonize the lead to play half an octave higher than the rhythm
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
ಠ_ಠ

ಥ_ಥ
I was just listing MY top 10; I'm not saying they define Punk, but those are my tastes, and I'm going to stand by it.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
harmonize the lead to play half an octave higher than the rhythm
I'm trying to figure out if you mean in fourths and fifths, or if that was a joke about tritones....
Quote by herby190
I was just listing MY top 10; I'm not saying they define Punk, but those are my tastes, and I'm going to stand by it.I'm trying to figure out if you mean in fourths and fifths, or if that was a joke about tritones....

I'd say fifths, but you can use what you like.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
If you're writing punk, then the rythm is the lead.

<_<
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by VanCamp

<_<
Yeah, but you can only write so many songs made entirely of powerchords before you have to try something else.
Alkaline Trio essentially does have two guitars. Every single song off the last few albums has double tracked guitars and on quite a few songs they bring out their roadie to play with them.
Quote by herby190
Yeah, but you can only write so many songs made entirely of powerchords before you have to try something else.

The Ramones.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by drewfromutah
Alkaline Trio essentially does have two guitars. Every single song off the last few albums has double tracked guitars and on quite a few songs they bring out their roadie to play with them.
I didn't know the dude was a roadie; I thought he was just a studio guitarist they brought with them or something.
Quote by herby190
Yeah, but now it's been done to death.

Teen angst done to death? Pshaw!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by herby190
I didn't know the dude was a roadie; I thought he was just a studio guitarist they brought with them or something.

He may be, I made the roadie part up. The rest is true.
Mastodon

(I don't know why, but i always end up posting something related to Mastodon :S)
It's not punk or alternative, but if you're looking for a band that's using multiple guitars to study, you really can't go wrong with Iron Maiden. Fantastic stuff.
Quote by VanCamp

<_<

Punk is more about the lyrics than the sound.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!