I need some advice. I'm trying to upgrade my pickups, but I've heard that I won't be able to tell the difference because my amp isn't great (Line 6 Spider 212). Is there any truth to this, or do I not need a tube amp for different pickups to sound different?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Honestly, I would save the money to put toward a new amp later. I personally wouldn't spend money on pickups without having a good amp. You may be able to tell a difference, but I don't think it will be worth it.
godly pickups + sucky amp will still give you bad tone
imo your money is best spent on a better amp
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I don't really know bro, some pups will make a difference regardless, but as people have said, not as much as you would notice on a tube. It's your call, what tone are you looking for? And budget?
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm definitely going to upgrade to a Bugera 6262, but since I can't afford that right now (teen with no job), I'm considering pickups now, amp later vs amp later, pickups way later. Right now, I play a Schecter with Duncan Designed SH-6 clones, and I'd be upgrading to a Jazz in the neck and either a JB or Duncan Distortion (can't decide about that either) in the bridge.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
You will hear a difference. But if you don't like the sound of your amp, it'll just be turd 1 and turd 2.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2