So heres the situation;

basically my best friend (who well call "B") and i have been jamming for years now (he plays guitar and I play bass). We've always wanted to play in a band but the problem is that we cant find a good drummer. We've tried a few but nothings worked out (drummers were lazy, not dedicated or a combination of both).

At the end of summer I found out about a drummer whos a year younger (who we'll call "A"). It was really fun, and the jam went really well with "A". The only problem is that "A" is a douche. As far as i know he has few, if any friends. BUT he is very talented.

Recently at a party I got to talking with a drummer at my school (who well call "J"). I've seen J play before and hes really talented. He told me that hes heard a lot of good things about my playing (which is always nice to hear ) So as we were talking; a guy who ive heard is a **** guitar player but a decent singer (well call him "D") approached us and asked if we wanted to start a band. All of us being drunk at the time agreed and thought it sounded great. The problem was that my buddy "B" was at a wedding so he missed the party and therefore the invite from "D". (D also recruited another guitarist at the party).

So now everytime i run into D, he starts talking about how he knows producers and he thinks that we can really make it. So just to go over his thinking; 1) weve never played together 2) we dont know any songs together 3) i dont want play music just for the sake of making some dollars 4) from what ive heard we have big differences in taste.

So at the end of the day im not really down for D's band. What i know i want to do is be in a band with "B", not only because hes one of my best friends but because we have a lot of chemistry together.

Ive talked to J the drummer and hes down to jam with B and me. Only thing is D is really into the concept of me being in a band with him and J. Ive got many options What should I do?
well cant you have d and b and j and you in a band?
have d be rythm and b lead
thanks for the quick reply, right now im thinking of keeping my options open. I know i want to play my schools show coming up in a few months with B.
Quote by supersac
well cant you have d and b and j and you in a band?
have d be rythm and b lead

the thing is he D already planned on being rhythm and got another guitarist to play lead.
You could be in both bands.
Start a band with B and J that play the kind of music you (and I assume B) are in to. Also accept the offer to be in the band with D, J. But, tell the D and J band that your writing will go mainly towards the stuff you're doing with B and J. If someone else writes the music in the D and J band then it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Quote by Aleksi
You could be in both bands.
Start a band with B and J that play the kind of music you (and I assume B) are in to. Also accept the offer to be in the band with D, J. But, tell the D and J band that your writing will go mainly towards the stuff you're doing with B and J. If someone else writes the music in the D and J band then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

sounds like good advice. what about "A"? Is it worth being in a band with someone you dont like just because theyre good?
get B, tell him to get ahole of R, T will come if R does, pick up L who's friends with A, thus proving that A has a friend, and L's other friend U can keep A's douchebaggery in check and has experience as a road manager.

****in' BRUTAL!

name the band alphabet soup.
Quote by bassm29
sounds like good advice. what about "A"? Is it worth being in a band with someone you dont like just because theyre good?

In my opinion A is best left alone, band practice/shows/tours would become pretty wearing if you've got to put up with someone unpleasant.
Maybe you could spend a little time with him, go out for a couple of drinks or something with him and some friends. It might be that you've judged him too soon and he's actually capable of being a cool guy. If it turns out he's still a douche then drop him, no amount of talent is worth the hassle.
Tell them what you want. If it can't happen, maybe you can compromise. If not, oh well, you've lost nothing.