I'm trying to decide between the SH-4 and the SH-6 in the bridge of my Schecter. I'm going for as much versatility as possible and to be able to go from pristine clean to crushing metallica-type gain (I know they use EMG's, but I don't like them). On the one hand, I know that the distortion has more output. On the other hand, most of Schecter's passive guitars have either a JB or a JB clone in the bridge, so I guess that would be a safe bet. Thoughts?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Seymour Duncan JB would do great.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I can vouch for the JB, never tried the distortion though.

the JB is amazing, and the cleans have a lot of bite in the bridge position
i have a distortion in my guitar, it sounds really great with distortion (duh) but it is a bit harder to get a cleaner tone from it unless u use it with the neck pickup, its just too bright for my tastes. if ur going to be using a dirty channel more often than a clean one def go with the sh-6. if ur going to be using the clean more often go with the jb
I own guitars with both the JB and the Distortion.

I really do like the Duncan distortion, and the JB is great as well. They both are very close stat wise, being high output and versitile, and neither is a bad choice.

here are the links from SD's site:

Distortion:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/

JB
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh4_jb_model/

The JB is in my Soloist's bridge, and the Distortion is in my hotrodded Ibanez GRX45's bridge.
What are the specs of your Schecter? (I.e. What type of wood etc.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, flamed maple top
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Hmm...

Since Mahogany is a heavier wood that suppresses the mids more than alder, and is a bit richer in the higher register, I would put the JB in. Its a very balanced creamy pickup that would complement the wood a bit better, as compared to the more high powered and "raw" duncan distortion.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Thanks for the help man.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

the jb has more of a rock voicing, the distortion more of a metal voicing. both are extremely hot, and neither has amazing cleans (from what i can remember, in the case of the distortion). What's your budget, and what country do you live in? there might be better options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
USA, and I'm not sure what my budget's going to be when I actually make the switch. Probably can't spend more than 150. I don't really care for dimarzios.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

something like one of the customs might be more of an all-rounder if you want to stick with duncan. you might even be within range of some of the lesser-known boutique winders in the states, high order, wolfetone and stuff like that, but i haven't personally tried them (just heard good things).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They are both great and versatile..however..

The JB has slightly better pinch harmonics and a better mid range.

The Distortion has a nice top and bottom end...and can be used with cheaper pedals.
Why? The distortion naturally breaks up..so you dont need to push effects as hard to
get them to cut through. They will also conflict with effects that are turned up too high...so you cant crank everything up to 10 like u can with a JB. The distortion does however shine with effects such as Delay and Chorus. Its beautiful.

The distortion Does great blues..hard rock..and metal. You can get a great ACDC tone out of it. They can get clean as well but you have to dial it back pretty far. I start getting that dirty sound right between 3 and 4. I think it does Grunge and Punk the best.

The JB will work better with a wide range of effects. Since it doesnt distort as much...it will pair with more types of pedals. Its does a nice clean..and it can get hard enough for metal. It also has screaming high when in solos. The unison bends sound better as well because of its clean nature at high volumes. The difference in distortion can be bridged with pedals.with the JB you can run more pedals balls to the walls. With the JB..you also have more freedom with string gauges. With the Distortion you need to consider pickup height..gauge and setup more because the sound is unbalanced. It may take a lot more tweaking to get the sound the way you want it.

BLS...Iron Maiden...BFMV..etc..can be done with the JB and pedals...

Early TOOL..Killswitch Engaged..Slayer...etc..can be done with the Distortion alone. It can honestly get too hot at times.

I chose the Distortion set for my EPi studio deluxe. Im not using effects..i just wanted the vintage slightly dirty tone. Its working for me so far..but they are sort of a one trick pony when compared to the JB. If i had known all of this before..I would have put a distortion in the neck and a JB in the bridge.

The JAZZ/JB is a cliche..but makes a will rounded guitar. I have that set as well..but im not that crazy about it because I like for my guitars to tone to have a more dramatic change when I hit my selector switch.

From my experience..the SD Distortion is Slightly hotter than the Bareknuckle Nailbomb..but the Nailbomb never turns into a fuzzface. So the BKP wins. I believe the Distortion can do certain things extremely well..but it is a tone specific pickup.
I still love it..but it doesnt have many possibilities for its sound...but it sure does pack a huge punch.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Sep 20, 2009,
What about a DiMarzio D-Activator
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm
I don't really like Dimarzio tone for some reason.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

I have the distortion in my alder-bodied custom... It's VERY hot, but sounds quite good to my ears for basically any mid-to-high gain application I play.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
They are both great pickups but if you want more versatility you have got to go with the JB.
Next question...
I've decided that the Distortion would be a bad idea, so now I have a new problem. I also can't decide between the JB/Jazz and the Duncan Custom/59. Any tips?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by FrustratedRocka
Next question...
I've decided that the Distortion would be a bad idea, so now I have a new problem. I also can't decide between the JB/Jazz and the Duncan Custom/59. Any tips?

JB/59?
I have 2 guitars with the JB/Jazz combo. And 3 with the JB/59 set up. Both the Jazz and the 59 are very similar. The main difference I hear is that the Jazz is a little "smoother". But they both sound great, so I think you'll be happy with which ever one you choose.
There's my way and the wrong way.
On the original question, JB's better for brighter-toned guitars, Distortion is better for naturally thicker-toned guitars. Generally in all guitars, I have found the Distortion to be slightly more responsive.

However in my experience, the Custom 5 ****s all over both of them.

As far as the combination with the neck goes, I'm really not a fan of the Jazz at all. I've got the Jazz/JB combination sitting in one guitar here and ever since I installed them, I've wanted to rip them both out. ESP's crappy generic stock pickups had better clarity than these. I'm not too much of a fan of the '59 either, I would rather recommend either the Seth Lover model for a more vintage tone, or the Pearly Gates for a slightly more modern tone - to me, the '59 sits in the middle and isn't too great at anything, though I will say it's better than the Jazz.

Honestly, from the sound of what you want, I think a Custom 5 and a Pearly Gates would be a better selection for you, though out of the options you've come up with yourself, I'd be going for a Distortion/'59.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Next question...

out of those two, custom and '59 for me personally, though i'd be tempted to try the custom 5. i haven't personally tried the custom V, unfortunately, but i've tried the custom and custom custom, and if the custom V sounds in between those two (as i assume it would, alnico V generally sounding between II and ceramic), it'd be worth a shot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?