ATM, theres two in good condition on my local CL, the guy only wants 200$ for the pair, is it worth it to buy them and swap the speakers out for better ones?
i dont know much about speakers but i dont see why not. as far as i know a cab is a cab, the head and speakers make the difference. i could be wrong though
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by SoLgEr
i dont know much about speakers but i dont see why not. as far as i know a cab is a cab, the head and speakers make the difference. i could be wrong though

You would be, quality of construction and type of wood make a difference in tone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I did this with my old MG cabs...had texas heats and G12K100s in them. Sounded great to me
Quote by Necrophagist777
You would be, quality of construction and type of wood make a difference in tone.

The head and speakers make the vast majority of difference, construction quality is not very important as long as it's stable and not made out of cardboard for instance.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
The head and speakers make the vast majority of difference, construction quality is not very important as long as it's stable and not made out of cardboard for instance.

Construction quality has a huge influence on the sound.

TS, the MG412 is an undersized particle board piece of crap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Marshall cabs in general kind of suck. I have a 1960, and after a year, I can't try to convince myself that it's a good cab anymore, it's not. The only silver lining is that I got it for $300...

Outiside of a few offerings, I would stay away from Marshall's cabs. The VM cab is definitely pretty cool, and some of the higher end 1960s and HW cabs, and of course, vintage '60s Marshall cabs w/ vintage Celestions are awesome too, but most of the new stuff just doesn't cut it.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Marshall cabs in general kind of suck.

Save for a few offerings, the VM cab is definitely pretty cool, and some of the higher end 1960s and HW cabs.

This too. They tend to sound bad with so many amps I've tried them with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
This too. They tend to sound bad with so many amps I've tried them with.
Yeah, for a while I was thinking that I was just going to replace all the speakers in my 1960, but when it came down to it, it would've meant that I spent about ~$800 on a mediocre cabinet with good speakers, when I could really just sell the 1960, suck it up and spend an extra $200 on something that doesn't make my amp sound like ****, probably a Mojo cabinet w/ Weber silver bells.
Quote by al112987
Yeah, for a while I was thinking that I was just going to replace all the speakers in my 1960, but when it came down to it, it would've meant that I spent about ~$1000 on a mediocre cabinet with good speakers, when I could really just sell the 1960 and spend that $1000 on something that doesn't suck.

Yea, a friend owned a recent 1960 and we opened it up. It had some extremely shoddy construction. And the G12T-75s just add to the crappiness. He wound up selling it and getting an H&K 4X12 with Greenbacks used for $500. That is a kick ass cab.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

My MG cab sounded good with a speaker swap...but at the same time, for the amount of money I spent on 8 speakers for it. I could've easily bought something better. I actually just sold the cabs last week (put the stock speakers back in them)...and I picked up an oversized Mesa 412 with diamond plate sides and V30 speakers for $450. It sounds way better than the MG cabs did....even with the speaker swap. The only thing I miss is the MG weight and size...the Mesa is HEAVY....and my gear is all upstairs in my house...
poor construction makes for bad resonance and ultimately ass tone.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Stay away from anything with MG written on it.

E-MG.

damn right, avoid.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

whats wrong with EMG?????
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
^They sound pretty lifeless IMO.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by O.O Meow O.O
whats wrong with EMG?????

Other than the fact that Id take the pickups on the $50 Hannah Montanna guitar over an EMG 81/85 set? Nothing.

Alright, that was a bit of an exageration, but in general, EMG's are pieces of ****.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

alright,i stick with evo pup
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by mmolteratx
Construction quality has a huge influence on the sound.

TS, the MG412 is an undersized particle board piece of crap.

You honestly believe that contruction quality has even close to the same amount of influence on sound as speaker and head quality?

Whatever, I'm not gonna argue with you about that but I'm not buying.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
^agreed. Everything affects your tone to some extent...but that is like saying that a pickup is going to influence your sound more than the amp you play though
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Stay away from anything with MG written on it.

What about jackson's MG series of guitars? They are amazing.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
TS, don't do it, even if you do a speaker swap, a speaker cost about 100$ (just an average price) swapping 8 speakers at 100$ then will cost you 800$ + 200$, that makes 1000$ and I assume you don't have experience in soldering and electronics, so you'd have to pay someone to do it for you. It's defenitly not the trouble
most decent humbuckers give enough output for metal (Dactivators, 59's, V7s) so EMGs are imho ultimately pointless pieces of crap.

passives do it fine and have plenty of ouput and doesnt cost you your clean tones.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by James13v
You honestly believe that contruction quality has even close to the same amount of influence on sound as speaker and head quality?

Whatever, I'm not gonna argue with you about that but I'm not buying.
Sorry, but if you think a MG cabinet with V30s is going to sound the same or even close tot he same as an Orange cabinet with V30s, you're either...

1) Kidding yourself
2) Can't hear

or

3) Simply don't know what you're talking about

The cabinet makes a huge difference. Everything in one's rig and downplaying any one of them is foolish. Spending $800+ to load up two MG cabs full of high end speakers is a huge waste of money, especially when you can buy one 4x12 that doesn't suck and already has good speakers in it for that cost.
you'll need to ask yourself if buying a pair of cabs only to switch the speakers out will really be worthwhile than just buying 1 great quality cab from say.. Avatar or something.

the MG cabs are undersized to more usual cabs, so they'll end up sounding different from a standard sized cab that's also built from better materials.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
think about this...

if youve ever played in a small, uncarpeted room, you'll know all about bad acoustics.

the MG cabs are poorly constructed from inferior wood, the inferior wood will make the inside of the cab like a small uncarpeted room, with little resonance, hense you'll sound like puke, reguardless of speakers.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

NVM, I bought them anyways. Not for me though, I've got someone ready to buy them for 450$, so I've made about 200$ for a couple hours of driving, sweeeeet.
Quote by al112987
Sorry, but if you think a MG cabinet with V30s is going to sound the same or even close tot he same as an Orange cabinet with V30s, you're either...

1) Kidding yourself
2) Can't hear

or

3) Simply don't know what you're talking about

The cabinet makes a huge difference. Everything in one's rig and downplaying any one of them is foolish. Spending $800+ to load up two MG cabs full of high end speakers is a huge waste of money, especially when you can buy one 4x12 that doesn't suck and already has good speakers in it for that cost.

First of all, I in no way shape or form recommended that anyone should be buying anything or replacing any speakers, my only contributions to this thread so far have been about the influence of cab attributes on tone.

Secondly, did I say an MG cab with V30's would sound anything like an Orange cab with V30's? No.

My point is that whilst the construction quality of a cab does make a significant difference to tone, it is not anywhere near as important as speaker and amp quality.

Quote by Silver-spear94
think about this...

if youve ever played in a small, uncarpeted room, you'll know all about bad acoustics.

the MG cabs are poorly constructed from inferior wood, the inferior wood will make the inside of the cab like a small uncarpeted room, with little resonance, hense you'll sound like puke, reguardless of speakers.

Except sound waves are mostly being projected directly out of the MG cab...

But whatever man, keep thinking that

EDIT: And for the record, TS, I do not recommend buying the cabs with the intent of swapping the speakers. Just find yourself a nice used/new 412 with decent speakers stock.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Sep 20, 2009,