Hey wat key is hey Joe in? I can't seem to figure it out I think it's in G? The chord progression is C G D A E all major. And y is it this key and how come you could use 5 major chords in one song isn't there only 3 per key?
He's just playing a circle of fifths (in reverse) there. It isn't going to be one key for the entire progression.
So If I want to improvise over this song what could I use? Also in a song u could use all major chords? How does tht work
Quote by GibsonSG25
So If I want to improvise over this song what could I use? Also in a song u could use all major chords? How does tht work

It should sound fine playing the respective major scale over each chord.

Yes, you can play a song by using all major chords. It works by you playing them.
I never knew that thnx soo let's say I'm Writing a song let's say i'm in G I cud make any chord on the chord scale a major chord? Is this called anything specific in theory
Quote by GibsonSG25
I never knew that thnx soo let's say I'm Writing a song let's say i'm in G I cud make any chord on the chord scale a major chord? Is this called anything specific in theory

The term in theory is accidental. An accidental is when you raise or lower a tone from its normal position, in a particuar key, during that bar of written music. Basically, the chords that do not fit the key of G are transitional chords which ultimately resolve back to the key.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
The answer is E. A lot of songs, when you play them or listen to them, don't need to be completely analyzed. If you want to know what key something is in, find the tonal center and where does the melody go. If you want a full analysis, He uses a V/III the III, then parallel modulates to EM and uses a V/IV then IV, Then resolves. If you listen to the solo, it is based of the Em blues scale. Bob Dylan wasn't thinking of theory when he wrote that song, he just played.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
not sure what dylan has to do with hey joe...he didn't write it....try using arpeggios over each chord and then extend/fill them with scale lines...it is a easy progression played with the super blues feel of jimi...start the solo with a C note on the 15h fret ...

as for the key...i approach the circle of fifths as changing key with each chord change...makes it easy to solo over not alot of thinking theory involved

play well

wolf
Quote by GibsonSG25
Hey wat key is hey Joe in? I can't seem to figure it out I think it's in G? The chord progression is C G D A E all major. And y is it this key and how come you could use 5 major chords in one song isn't there only 3 per key?

Not all songs fit neatly into 1 Major key.

Hendrix played E minor pentatonic over the progression.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 20, 2009,
Bluesy..., two things so hey Joe is in E? N if it is why would he use a Em blues pentatonic wouldn't it have to be the relative minor used C#m pentatonic? And also how do I find the tonal center, where the melody goes and where it resolves?
Jimi played an Em pentatonic!!!!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

RHCP

LED ZEP

HENDRIX

Hail SYD BARRETT