so what i tried doing was covert my triplet stuff into 6/4 bars and keep my standard parts in 4/4

but doing so will slow down the tempo of the 6/4 of course.

so i was trying to figure out if theres a form of equation to determine what tempo to make the 6/4 to make them sound like 4/4 triplets.

i assumed

120 / 3 = 40
so 40 + 120 = 160
thus giving me the tempo....

that didnt work
i dont know any equation but why are you putting it into 6/4, you can notate triplets in 4/4. Also to get them at the same tempo the 6/4 parts needs to be going 1/3 faster then the 4/4 part.
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i know i could just put the trips in 4/4 but thats not my case.

if u could see my example by dividing 120 by 3 then adding the answer to 120 to make it a third faster. it didnt work.
how didnt it work
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It should be a third faster. So 120 bpm in 4/4 would become 160 bpm in 6/4. I don't see why you would change the time signature instead of just notating it as triplets though.

Edit: Actually Diminished fifth is right.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Last edited by 7even at Sep 20, 2009,
Your equation for putting triplets into tempo is (i'm going to use 120 for tempo):

120*(3/2)=180

Same goes for any other tuplet. Quintuplets are this:

120*(5/4) = 150

Learn it well.

EDIT: The equation is:
T*(X/Y)=Z

T = starting tempo
X = what your dividing the beat into (in triplets 3)
Y = how many notes the tuplet takes up (in triplets 2)
Z = Final tempo
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Sep 20, 2009,
^ yeah, it's one and a half times the speed. The third is if you want the beat to be slower - ie playing 1/8th notes as 1/8th note triplets at a slower tempo.
Converting into 6/4 wont work because 6/4 is still a duple.

To do what you want, you would convert to 12/8 and make all the triplet notes 8th notes and set dotted quarter=quarter
Quote by tubatom868686
Converting into 6/4 wont work because 6/4 is still a duple.

To do what you want, you would convert to 12/8 and make all the triplet notes 8th notes and set dotted quarter=quarter

This is what I would do, and to convert to the new tempo, multiply the old one by 1.5
Quote by isaac_bandits
This is what I would do, and to convert to the new tempo, multiply the old one by 1.5

Well, actually, you would only have to multiply the tempo by 1.5 if you had 8th note=8th note.

Setting dotted quarter=quarter eliminates this problem
Quote by tubatom868686
Well, actually, you would only have to multiply the tempo by 1.5 if you had 8th note=8th note.

Setting dotted quarter=quarter eliminates this problem

And the coefficient that you would have to multiply the tempo by to get the new dotted quarter to equal the old quarter is 1.5.