Yes, I'm aware that Vs. threads are not allowed, but seeing as this is not about tone, and thus not a subjective debate, but rather about performance, I would think this topic is OK. And if it isn't, then by all means lock it.

OK, I've heard great things about both of these pedals but never before have I used a tuner pedal. So between the Korg Pitchblack and the Boss TU-2 (or any other tuner, for that matter), which do you prefer, and why? For me, I find Korg Pitchblacks more aesthetically pleasing, but that really doesn't say anything.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
korg, for the same reason, and the lights are larger and easier to see
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I think the only real difference is that the Boss has two outputs, one mutes the signal while it's on and the other doesn't. I don't know if the Korg can do that I've never used one.
I have a huge fear if rays.
if it tunes your guitar it works i guess
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I prefer using a rackmount tuner myself, that way i'm not looking down, and i can check mid song if need be. They are a tad more pricey, but the convienance and ease of use is totally worth it. Try looking into the Korg 1000 model.
I'd grab a used TU-2 and call it a day. I would be more partial to the Pitchblack if it had a different display and could be used to power more pedals. Right now my TU-2 is powering three other pedals, but in the past has been used to power six.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
DTR-1000.

i THINK youd just run Guitar -> rack tuner -> amp input.

right?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I have a question. What is the difference between a strobe tuner and any other tuner?
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Quote by asfastasdark
I have a question. What is the difference between a strobe tuner and any other tuner?

From wiki "Strobe tuners (the popular term for stroboscopic tuners) are the most accurate type of tuner. There are three types of strobe tuners: The mechanical rotating disk strobe tuner, an LED array strobe in place of the rotating disk, and "virtual strobe" tuners with LCD displays or ones that work on personal computers. A strobe tuner shows the difference between a reference frequency and the musical note. Even the slightest difference between the two will show up as a rotating motion in the strobe display. The accuracy of the tuner is only limited by the internal frequency generator. "

The gist if this is they are much more accurate than any needle or get the middle light to stay green type of tuners. For example, the Sonic Research tuner is accurate to .0017 cents. That is CRAZY accurate, like if you simply touch your headstock, it shows. The beauty of this tuner is it is that accurate, but also really easy to use to tune, set intonation, or even practice bends. The Korg and Boss Pedal tuners are only good to 1 and 3 cents! No where near good enough to set intonation. So, you can buy the Boss for 99 bucks or get a tuner that is literally almost 2000 times more accurate for 129 bucks.

Practically it is just as easy to use for tuning , but allows you to tune faster and more importantly allows you to set your own intonation.
Thanks so much, that sounds like something I'd want to get my hands on.
Gear:
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
I love how +/- 3% accuracy is 'nowhere near close enough' to set intonation. Dude must fret with alarming consistency if he needs his intonation set that strictly.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Korg Pitchblack is true bypass ,isnt it?

the boss one will suck your tone if you dont a/b it.
Quote by GuitarUser
the boss one will suck your tone if you dont a/b it.
Not in my experience. Perhaps you should make sure your power supply is clean.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
I love how +/- 3% accuracy is 'nowhere near close enough' to set intonation. Dude must fret with alarming consistency if he needs his intonation set that strictly.

Well, it is +/- 3, so right there it makes it a 6% range. I do not know if it makes a huge difference for sure, but I do know that when I first set my intonation with my Boss TU12 I thought it sounded OK. Then I checkedit once I got my Sonic Research pedal and it was apparent that it was way off. And when I reset my intonation it definitely sounded better when I played. YMMV

It could also be that the needle on my Boss was harder for me to read and use as accurately...
Last edited by Chetbango at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by Chetbango
Well, it is +/- 3, so right there it makes it a 6% range. I do not know if it makes a huge difference for sure, but I do know that when I first set my intonation with my Boss TU12 I thought it sounded OK. Then I checkedit once I got my Sonic Research pedal and it was apparent that it was way off. And when I reset my intonation it definitely sounded better when I played. YMMV

It could also be that the needle on my Boss was harder for me to read and use as accurately...

Seriously, if you need your intonation to be that perfect then you, sir, are the most anal person I've ever met.

I've never once encountered a single person that said "Dude, you sounded like crap!! Your intonation needs to be more accurate - get a different tuner next time you set up your guitar!".
why bother to re-intonate a guitar if you aren't going to set it as accurately as possible?

go for the turbo tuner, i'm getting one soon myself.
For your intonation to be 'perfect' you would have to fret with the same force every time you go to play a note. Since no one does that you'll probably see a +/- 6% difference anyways.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Seriously, if you need your intonation to be that perfect then you, sir, are the most anal person I've ever met.

I've never once encountered a single person that said "Dude, you sounded like crap!! Your intonation needs to be more accurate - get a different tuner next time you set up your guitar!".

Well sir, i listened to your 'blues jazz' clip on your profile. Either your guitar is out of tune, or you used a Boss to set the intonation.

Just kidding, it sounded great. Not sure what to tell you other than I found my guitar's intonation had to be adjusted a surprising amount after first setting it with my Boss tuner and then rechecking it with my Turbo tuner. With the Turbo Tuner, the ease of setting the intonation made me confident to set my neck and string height too. Maybe it isn't strictly the 'accuracy' of the device, it might have something to do with the speed it picks it up and the way the display works, but I found setting the intonation much easier and more accurate. There is a reason professional luthiers and piano tuners use strobe tuners.
Quote by guitarted
why bother to re-intonate a guitar if you aren't going to set it as accurately as possible?

go for the turbo tuner, i'm getting one soon myself.

Because there's a difference between not being intonated and not being intonated perfectly. Seriously, no one is going to notice if you're intonation is out +/- 3 cents.

Quote by Chetbango
Well sir, i listened to your 'blues jazz' clip on your profile. Either your guitar is out of tune, or you used a Boss to set the intonation.

Nah, just really old strings - I don't replace them nearly as often as I should.

But if you want your intonation to be within +/- 0.0017 then be my guest. I'm perfectly happy with how I set mine up (my tuner is +/- 1 cent anyway).
Get the korg, its what I use.

/Thread

But seriously it mutes the guitar and turns on when you step on the pedal, the lights are big and bright, and it has power output so you can stick and 9v adapter into it and go out of it to another pedal, and it is pretty slick looking.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust