Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,
its my first post here but i thought this would be a good place to get some information. I'm not sure whether i should upgrade my guitar or amp at this stage. I still have my original electric from when i first started out (Epiphone LP-100) and the amp i've got is a Roland Cube 20x.

I was thinking of spending around $1500 for either an amp + cab (tube if possible) or that on a new guitar....

Any recommendations would be great. I like playing TOOL, King Crimson, Metallica and Jimi Hendrix amongst other things. So being able to get that sort of adam jones tone (yes i realise its near impossible without 3 different rare modded amps) and also being versatile when it comes to overdriven and clean tones.

I'm in Australia so if anyone knows and good shops here that'd be great.

So it comes down to... good amp bad guitar or good guitar bad amp
Last edited by sampsonx at Sep 20, 2009,
Your best option IMO would be to spend half of your budget on each. You don't need to much wattage if you are just practicing. Spend 800-1000 on your amp and about 500-700 on your guitar. Play some stuff out and see if you like em.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
New guitar. Do not split the money. then you will only be getting slightly better equipment.
a $700 guitar isn't really nice.
If you get a good guitar but a bad amp at least the guitar will feel nice to play
Quote by samburl
If you get a good guitar but a bad amp at least the guitar will feel nice to play

Good guitar + Shit amp = Shit tone
Bad guitar + Good amp = Good tone

Amp is 90% of your tone. Do NOT spend all of your budget on a guitar.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by samburl
New guitar. Do not split the money. then you will only be getting slightly better equipment.
a $700 guitar isn't really nice.

Lol wut? Nigga wants a way to get an Adam Jones type tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah i suggest splitting your budget and get a decent guitar and a decent amp. i think at half the budget you can probably get a mesa f or mesa dc and you can get a esp guitar with the other half. im not so sure though because i dont know how the prices go in australia.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
prices in australia are pretty much a ripoff (to my knowledge)... e.g your a mesa dual rectifier is about 1.5k in the US right? here youll be lucky to find one for about three and a half.
are you willing to buy used?
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Yep willing to by used. my flanger and wah pedals are both used and work fine so im not frightened of used as long as i can try use it first. (except for my wah needing to be lubed *ooh yeah* every now and then cause it squeaks)
*shameless bump* any recommendations on specific amp/cab combinations?
I recommend amp... It gets you the tone for music. Or get some effect pedals or other accessories
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Depends on your exact budget.
If you're happy with your guitar, get a new amp. If you're not, spend about 700 on a new guitar, and then the rest on a decent amp.

Maybe a Peavey Classic 30/50...depending on if you're gonna be playing live, although 30 watts is plenty loud for live playing.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
my guitars not that bad really (for the price). i've put in some seymour duncan jb's and that seemed to help... i'm not really playing live but i mean once i improve more i'd like to do it as a hobby not a profession

this sorta has that adam jones tone that i like (youtube quality + recording quality kills it a little bit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YeZjLV0LNg
shame bump #2 (the irony of u-g forum seems to be quick replies, but quicker getting moved to page 10000 of the forum)
go for the amp
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
What's good for my price range?

oh another thing. if you order from america will it work on australian electrical systems? i think we use different voltages and stuff..
Quote by sampsonx
What's good for my price range?

oh another thing. if you order from america will it work on australian electrical systems? i think we use different voltages and stuff..

You'd need a step down transformer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by JayT44

Good guitar + Shit amp = Shit tone
Bad guitar + Good amp = Good tone

Amp is 90% of your tone. Do NOT spend all of your budget on a guitar.

this is so untrue. having a good guitar will make playing so much more fun. i don't know why all of you people on UG say this. you guys are tone freaks... if you want a new guitar go for it. maybe compromise with both.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
this is so untrue. having a good guitar will make playing so much more fun. i don't know why all of you people on UG say this. you guys are tone freaks... if you want a new guitar go for it. maybe compromise with both.

Guilty. And yes, it is true. A good amp with an okay guitar will sound good. An incredible guitar through a **** okay or **** amp will just sound okay or ****ty. The only reason I'd really recommend a new guitar is if the feel isn't right on his current guitar.

EDIT: Although, a **** guitar through a good amp will typically still sound ****ty just because good amps typically let a crappy guitars crap shine through.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 21, 2009,
I'd spend it on a real nice amp man. the amp affects your sound 20x more than the guitar does. as has been stated already,
a squire Bullet played through a 1964 vox ac30 is gonna sound pretty great
a 1959 gibson les paul played through a 15 watt spider III is going to sound... well, ****ing awful.

a perfect example of this is EVH. he played a piece of **** homemade frankenstrat through a modified plexi, and his tone is legendary. the guitar was crap, but his fingers and his amp made it sound amazing
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 21, 2009,
Quote by sampsonx
Would a dual rectifier last a lifetime?

physically, yes they will, they are built like tanks.

but in terms of your enjoyment as a musician? probably not. your playing styles and musical tastes may change, they are somewhat limited amps. they are good at high gain metal, but you wont find much use if you intend to play blues, country, jazz, classic rock, etc. you'll get the metallica tones of your dreams from it, but you won't be getting that lower gain hendrix tone from it. you could always look at a Lonestar though. those are really versatile Mesas. they're just as indestructible as dual recto's but they give you the option of choosing between a solid state rectifier and a tube rectifier. that way you get the very high gain tone, but they also have a very nice clean and a very smooth low gain overdrive. they were designed to be a more "classic" sounding amp, but they are very capable of the more "standard" mesa boogie sounds.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 21, 2009,
Hmm i think i'm dreaming. i probably need like a combo amp for about 1k
Quote by sampsonx
Hmm i think i'm dreaming. i probably need like a combo amp for about 1k

thats not true, there's no shame in waiting a little bit longer, saving, and grabbing the amp of your dreams.
man what are you looking at terms of guitar and amp wise? It always helps to see what your looking at... and try looking up what ole jonsey uses that can help too.
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
i know what old jonesy uses. and i'm not going to be able to afford that
He has three amps, a 1976 marshall super bass (probably rare), Either one or two diezel VH-4's (four grand each) and a mesa boogie dual rectifier comes and goes. (changes every tour pretty much)
AJ used a VH4 for some time... not sure what he's up to now.

...and while I agree that amps make up the majority... ok, vast majority... of your tone, there's something to be said for a great guitar with great playability improving the technique of the player.

then again, a great tone makes practice more fun, hence you practice more...

buy what the **** you want

...i need a hundred beers, exactly. exactly one-hundred beers.
Quote by sampsonx
Hi guys,
its my first post here but i thought this would be a good place to get some information. I'm not sure whether i should upgrade my guitar or amp at this stage. I still have my original electric from when i first started out (Epiphone LP-100) and the amp i've got is a Roland Cube 20x.

I was thinking of spending around $1500 for either an amp + cab (tube if possible) or that on a new guitar....

Any recommendations would be great. I like playing TOOL, King Crimson, Metallica and Jimi Hendrix amongst other things. So being able to get that sort of adam jones tone (yes i realise its near impossible without 3 different rare modded amps) and also being versatile when it comes to overdriven and clean tones.

I'm in Australia so if anyone knows and good shops here that'd be great.

So it comes down to... good amp bad guitar or good guitar bad amp

1. Go to allans music
2. Buy a bugera
3. ????
4. profit?

But seriously...spend about $1000 getting a bugera and then look at spending $500 on a used guitar. I got my RR3 for $530 of ebay - I'm sure you can find something pretty good.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
allans is pretty negotiable right (bing lee style Lol) i bought my electric from there
Those bugera's seem like an alright deal??

Better to get head and seperate cab or a combo?

i'll keep doing my research..
Quote by sampsonx
Those bugera's seem like an alright deal??

Better to get head and seperate cab or a combo?

i'll keep doing my research..

Bugera: cheaply built clones at a serious discount. price is nice, but buyer beware. they can sound ok though (so long as it's working).

head/combo: depends on your needs and what amp you're looking at. some are ONLY available as either a head or a combo, but not both.

generally, combos cater to low-wattage amps (well, yeah, ofcourse... but what i'm trying to say is that a 40w combo is less likely to bring the roof down than a 100z halfstack... you get it).
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
well correction. it is true, amps define most of the tone but who wants really wants to play a bad guitar? be honest people.

who wants to play through a bad amp?

they're equal imo.
hate to bring this back from the grave but i still haven't really had any solid reccomendations over an amp to get within my budget.
Page 1 of 2