ever read a book on the care of a animal?

like a book on a certain breed of dog or cat or other animal.

if so what did it not tell you that you wanted to know?

im asking because im interested in writing a short book (like 50 pages tops) on the care of certain animals such as geckos and other exotic animals.

and i decided if i do write anything about animals i should ask about what people want to see in a book so that not only do i tell them what they might not know, but also give information that other books or sources dont give.

i figure that if im good with animals and i like giving advice and all that i should express my knowledge of animals through books whether i publish them or not.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
I was always interested in exactly what/how much to feed an animal like a lizard. Whenever I asked people what they ate, I was always given a different answer. What the hell do they eat?
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by Jacob6293
I was always interested in exactly what/how much to feed an animal like a lizard. Whenever I asked people what they ate, I was always given a different answer. What the hell do they eat?

dude ive had these 6 lizzards for like 8 years now and alls i feed em is sht i catch in my yard. at night i leave the porch lights on and catch moths. during the day i catch grasshopers if i see one. and during the winter i buy crickets from a bait shop cause buyin em from a pet store is a super waste of money. you can get 200 at a bait shop for the same price as a dozen at a pet store.
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
Quote by Brennon
dude ive had these 6 lizzards for like 8 years now and alls i feed em is sht i catch in my yard. at night i leave the porch lights on and catch moths. during the day i catch grasshopers if i see one. and during the winter i buy crickets from a bait shop cause buyin em from a pet store is a super waste of money. you can get 200 at a bait shop for the same price as a dozen at a pet store.

thats not really good advice. lol

what kind of lizards do you have?

wild caught insects are basically carriers for various parasites, mites, and pesticides.

and the reason pet shops are more expensive on food is because bait shops generally are selling wild caught/poorly kept insects.

your lizards, unless your extremely lucky, wont thrive without proper food thats not wild caught.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Last edited by k-train at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by k-train
thats not really good advice. lol

what kind of lizards do you have?

wild caught insects are basically carriers for various parasites, mites, and pesticides.

and the reason pet shops are more expensive on food is because bait shops generally are selling wild caught/poorly kept insects.

your lizards unless your extremely lucky, wont thrive without proper food thats not wild caught.

lmfao dude thats how lizards are suspose to live and therefore do live man dont worry bout all that bs parasites man ive kept damn lizards all my life and i know how to keep em.
Quote by tancanada

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
I'm pretty sure the lizards don't suffer from wild caught bugs. I mean how do you think the wild lizards get their food?
Quote by xCurlyx
I'm pretty sure the lizards don't suffer from wild caught bugs. I mean how do you think the wild lizards get their food?

ts buys it for em.
Quote by tancanada

Quote by thsrayas

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
I've read quite a few books on the care of reptiles and amphibians. I was going to buy my own frogs or a bearded dragon, but I never got there. Maybe I will one day.

Most of them are very well written. Especially the most modern ones. Everything from feeding to reproduction was covered. They were very thorough.

What exotic animals are you planning on covering?? Aside from Geckos.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by Brennon
lmfao dude thats how lizards are suspose to live and therefore do live man dont worry bout all that bs parasites man ive kept damn lizards all my life and i know how to keep em.

dude, ive been raising reptiles PROFESSIONALLY for years.

and im in college to be a herpetologist.

unless your pets housing is huge (as in room size) the parasites found in most wildcaught food will kill them eventually.
and also bait shops dont normally "gut load" there insects, so the lizard wont get the nutrients they would need as opposed to what pet shops give you.

parasites normally work this way:

-live in food/feces
-attach to new host
-lifecycle
-the offspring of the parasite leaves the host to continue the cycle

if you keep reptiles in a cage, that cycle continues through that one animal because its a ecosystem in itself.
the parasites will keep adding themselves to the host until it eventually dies from the parasite feeding off of it.

so unless you clean the cage as soon as they relieve themselves they will eventually die of the parasite.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by vulgarmachine
I've read quite a few books on the care of reptiles and amphibians. I was going to buy my own frogs or a bearded dragon, but I never got there. Maybe I will one day.

Most of them are very well written. Especially the most modern ones. Everything from feeding to reproduction was covered. They were very thorough.

What exotic animals are you planning on covering?? Aside from Geckos.

i was thinking of covering more of the "odd" pets.

what i mean is theres hundreds of owners of leopard geckos, so why cover them when theres already hundreds of books on them (btw ron tremper wrote the best book on them i ever seen)

and also i plan on covering species of turtles, snakes, and amphibians.

i already decided:
turtles:
-mississippi map turtle

snakes:
-reticulated pythons
-emeralds green tree python
-rosy boas
-kenyan boas
-hognose snakes

amphibians:
-red eye tree frogs
-whites tree frog
-african clawed frog

i hope you do get to own a bearded dragon someday. they are awsome animals, but they are alittle expensive to maintain (when you first get them)
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by k-train
dude, ive been raising reptiles PROFESSIONALLY for years.

and im in college to be a herpetologist.

unless your pets housing is huge (as in room size) the parasites found in most wildcaught food will kill them eventually.
and also bait shops dont normally "gut load" there insects, so the lizard wont get the nutrients they would need as opposed to what pet shops give you.

parasites normally work this way:

-live in food/feces
-attach to new host
-lifecycle
-the offspring of the parasite leaves the host to continue the cycle

if you keep reptiles in a cage, that cycle continues through that one animal because its a ecosystem in itself.
the parasites will keep adding themselves to the host until it eventually dies from the parasite feeding off of it.

so unless you clean the cage as soon as they relieve themselves they will eventually die of the parasite.

A WHAT?
Quote by CaptainRon
A WHAT?

i should of explained that seeing how i posted it in the pit

herpetology is the study of reptiles and amphibians

to be more precise the definition is

"the branch of zoology dealing with reptiles and amphibians."
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I think you might need some certification to write a book like that, like be a veterinarian or have some sort of P.H.d. I'm not too familiar with that type of stuff, and whether it applies to animals, but it's something to look into.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I think you might need some certification to write a book like that, like be a veterinarian or have some sort of P.H.d. I'm not too familiar with that type of stuff, and whether it applies to animals, but it's something to look into.

i already looked into that. appare4ntly i only need a veterinarian degree if i go in depth on the medical side of keeping reptiles. but as long as i keep it basic. (like what i posted to the guy who told me reptiles can eat wild caught stuff) it shouldnt be a problem.

as far as degrees really go reptiles are kind of a gray area. theres some rules, but not many.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican