while practicing guitar today i somehow managed to break my high e, b and d strings.

the strings are elixir .10 nanowebs and they are about one and a half weeks old.

my guitar is a prs custom 22 which has previously been very good about breaking strings.

when i broke the high e and b strings i was playing for the love of god by steve vai. when i broke the d string i was writing a van halen style riff. it is probably worth noting that i have been using my whammy bar more than usual.

i am worried. i cant say this hasnt happened to me before (only once or twice) but never on such an expensive guitar. do you think this is just down to bad luck or is there something with my guitar?

Burrs on the bridge or nut? Using the tremolo would be consistent with a burr on the nut.
Sharp frets? Strumming/picking way too hard? Tuned it too high? Depending on where they snapped at, it could tell you something.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
where is the breakage point at?
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
Clean your nut and bridge.

When you tune, don't play the note while you are turning the peg. The disruption in the change in frequency stresses the string. If you do it enough, you can break a brand new string.

If you play a rake style, and you have lighter gauge strings, then you are more likely to break a string than if you play a heavier gauge.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
its called 'bad luck'
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
Quote by ibanezgod1973
clean the crap out of the saddles and you can`t play for the the love of god on a 22 fret guitar.

sure you cant play it exactly like steve does but it who wants to do an exact replica anyways?

the saddles are my prime suspect. how do i about go smoothing them without damaging the guitar?
Last edited by prsfan22 at Sep 20, 2009,
Is the breakage at the saddles? If so, rub your finger against them to find where there is a sharp edge that's cutting your strings. Then, scratch it off.
Quote by mamosa
Is the breakage at the saddles? If so, rub your finger against them to find where there is a sharp edge that's cutting your strings. Then, scratch it off.

it is breaking at the saddles. unfortunately i cant do that while the saddles still have strings on them. (unless i am misunderstanding what you are saying)
Quote by prsfan22
it is breaking at the saddles. unfortunately i cant do that while the saddles still have strings on them. (unless i am misunderstanding what you are saying)

Does the left-over string reach all the way back to the bridge of the guitar? If it is, that would mean a sharp saddle. Get your nail into the small slot (where the string normally sits in) and get through a few times. If it catches, you have a burr. If it doesn't, take a soft pencil and get some graphite in there.

Now, what was the order of breakage? E, then B, then D, or E+B, then D? The breaking of one string can seriously put more strain on the rest of the strings, so if you broke e first, then B and then D, it would be a combination of string-tension, and not enough lubing in the nut.

Edit: Disregard the second part, I was assuming the OP was still playing the left over 5 or 4 strings when the others breaked. I am now hoping he just replaced them and then broke another one.
Last edited by Y00p at Sep 20, 2009,
Quote by Y00p
The breaking of one string can seriously put more strain on the rest of the strings

This doesnt make sense .... Next your gonna say "dont take all the strings off at once when you change the strings or the neck will bend over backwards" ....

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/2007summernamm/day3/The-Voyage-air-guitar-is-de.gif
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Last edited by Tatsumaru at Sep 20, 2009,
I've been playing about 5 years in all and I've never broken a string except for when I was a new player and tuned WAY too sharp. FWIW, I play with DiAddario 11's or 12's tuned to Eb most of the time.

Seems like you'd have to be really beating on the guitar to actually break one while playing.
Quote by Rick540
I've been playing about 5 years in all and I've never broken a string except for when I was a new player and tuned WAY too sharp. FWIW, I play with DiAddario 11's or 12's tuned to Eb most of the time.

Seems like you'd have to be really beating on the guitar to actually break one while playing.

i guess you arent a fan of one and a half tone bends

il see what i can do with the saddles. thanks for the help guys
Quote by prsfan22

If its a floyd, you might not have put the strings far enough into the saddles, I did that once and three different strings popped out on me.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Elixers have a habit of breaking for some players. Some love them and have no issues. I used em for a while and string breakage was an everyday thing. Wasnt 1 particular string or particular guitar. But it was a given everyday a string was gonna break. Went back to regular strings it stopped.
Yeah... One thing I found is Elixers don't like to be stretched very far. I tried to take my guitar into Drop B tuning to practice one of my friend's songs and ended up snapping the string at the 6th fret while tuning down. Sometimes they just have weak points that cause them to break when their tension changes. I switched over to Ernie Balls.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
**** happens.

Where's the breakage?
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Everyone is saying it is because of a breakage point which is likely the culprit but I'd like to know if you ever set up your tremolo. Has it ever been properly set up? If not it could cause problems.

Quote by Tatsumaru
This doesnt make sense .... Next your gonna say "dont take all the strings off at once when you change the strings or the neck will bend over backwards" ....

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefiles/2007summernamm/day3/The-Voyage-air-guitar-is-de.gif

It does make sense for guitars with specific types of tremolos. A Floyd Rose or Stratocaster style tremolo puts extra tension on the strings. And no, It would be very unlikely for a guitar neck to "Bend over backwards" If it didn't have string tension. It could go into a back bow but when you put the strings back on and string up to pitch they would pull the neck out of the back bow. If not you would adjust the truss rod a small amount for relief but only after the strings have worn in a bit. And no, Back bow isn't the same as "Bending over backwards". I take the saying of a guitar neck "Bending over backwards" As an extreme that can't happen unless the neck is made out of rubber.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Tatsumaru

No, the next thing I'm going to say is a question in which I was going to ask where the hell you got so smart.

All the strings pull at about 8kg's each. This means that you set up your trussrod against a total of about and around 56kg of string tension. Take one string away (e), and that will add about 1,5 kg of tension per left over string, assuming the player tunes up the other strings back to pitch, which I'm hoping no one in their right minds would do.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
It does make sense for guitars with specific types of tremolos. A Floyd Rose or Stratocaster style tremolo puts extra tension on the strings. And no, It would be very unlikely for a guitar neck to "Bend over backwards" If it didn't have string tension. It could go into a back bow but when you put the strings back on and string up to pitch they would pull the neck out of the back bow. If not you would adjust the truss rod a small amount for relief but only after the strings have worn in a bit. And no, Back bow isn't the same as "Bending over backwards". I take the saying of a guitar neck "Bending over backwards" As an extreme that can't happen unless the neck is made out of rubber.

It was a joke ... sigh ... In poor taste i know but its still a joke ...

Quote by Y00p
All the strings pull at about 8kg's each. This means that you set up your trussrod against a total of about and around 56kg of string tension. Take one string away (e), and that will add about 1,5 kg of tension per left over string, assuming the player tunes up the other strings back to pitch, which I'm hoping no one in their right minds would do.

Tension isn't measured in kilo's ....

You are still wrong .... You exaggerated way too much when you said that if 1 string would break then the others would break due to the additional stress on the remaining strings. If your theory was correct then no one could put strings on a guitar in the first place because it would break due to the stress added by the missing 5 strings...

Also do you honestly think that the companies that make guitar strings would make them so weak that they would all break when one breaks. The strings would be designed to withstand at least 3 times the tension that they would experience under the normal playing conditions.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
It was a joke ... sigh ... In poor taste i know but its still a joke ...

Tension isn't measured in kilo's ....

You are still wrong .... You exaggerated way too much when you said that if 1 string would break then the others would break due to the additional stress on the remaining strings. If your theory was correct then no one could put strings on a guitar in the first place because it would break due to the stress added by the missing 5 strings...

Also do you honestly think that the companies that make guitar strings would make them so weak that they would all break when one breaks. The strings would be designed to withstand at least 3 times the tension that they would experience under the normal playing conditions.

I think you're completely missing the point. A guitar with a floyd has springs pulling on the strings. When you break a string, the unbroken ones get that much more tension applied to them by the springs. Granted, a broken string usually just causes the others to goall out of tune, but if there was another weakened string I could see it being caused to break.

Of course strings are made to withstand more than normal playing condition, but, he did manage to break 3 of them when they were less than 2 weeks old. I've never done that, and couldn't imagine what i'd have to do in my playing to make it happen and especially with $10 strings.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
Quote by JMeasles
I think you're completely missing the point. A guitar with a floyd has springs pulling on the strings. When you break a string, the unbroken ones get that much more tension applied to them by the springs. Granted, a broken string usually just causes the others to goall out of tune, but if there was another weakened string I could see it being caused to break.

Of course strings are made to withstand more than normal playing condition, but, he did manage to break 3 of them when they were less than 2 weeks old. I've never done that, and couldn't imagine what i'd have to do in my playing to make it happen and especially with $10 strings.

QUOTE=Y00p]The breaking of one string can seriously put more strain on the rest of the strings

When a string breaks the extra tension would not be enough to break the other strings ... Strings are not designed with that low of a tension resisting capacity. The chance of there being two or more weak strings in a pack is also freakishly low.

I believe the OP's problem lies elsewere ... but he has not given enough details to follow it up...

/Thread
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

Quote by Tatsumaru
QUOTE=Y00p]

/Thread

At least until OP gives more information.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘